Glenn Stewart refuses to slam Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Danny Weirdler - SMH.com.au - 25 April 2014

As the heart and soul of Manly, Glenn Stewart would have every right to launch into the Eagles for their failure to make him an offer - but as someone who loves the club, he will not go down that path.

Read More

Danny Weirdler - SMH.com.au - 25 April 2014

As the heart and soul of Manly, Glenn Stewart would have every right to launch into the Eagles for their failure to make him an offer – but as someone who loves the club, he will not go down that path.

“I’m not angry about that,” he said. “I just think some people there had their mind made up some time ago. That's fine, it would have been nice to know from my point of view the direction they were going in.

‘‘If they had wanted to keep me they could have set the wheels in motion months ago. My situation wasn’t a surprise to them. I could have been made aware of their intentions rather than drag things on and put pressure on me and the rest of the players.

‘‘I think it's very clear that they knew what they were doing. I came out a few weeks ago and talked about my situation because I had to under our club media rules and all I said was that I wanted an indication of what they were doing and I didn’t really get that.”

Stewart will never say it but the direction they are going in is with Daly Cherry-Evans. The Manly half is the club’s priority this year because Kieran Foran has made it clear that he only wants to talk contracts next year.

For whatever reason, Cherry-Evans has been painted as the bad guy in this matter – and he is clearly sick of it.

That was extremely evident in his answers about Stewart in a media conference during the week. I was inundated with calls that DCE came across as dismissive of Stewart when he was given the opportunity to be glowing in his praise for one of Manly’s great players.

Cherry-Evans thinks the media can ask questions but he does not have to answer them. He just wanted the Stewart situation to end.

He handled it his way, but perhaps in hindsight he would have been better answering the question in a more attentive way.

It gives rise to theories that the Stewart departure is the beginning of the end for the Eagles and the culture that has carried them to results above the strength of their roster for years.

I prodded Stewart on that issue and he was not interested in discussing what his exit will mean. Time will provide the answer to that.

“I don’t really know what's going to happen,” he said.

As for his future he is excited. “I really do want to concentrate on this year, of course. I see Souths as a very good opportunity,” he said.

“The injuries I had last year had me off the pace by my own standards and I feel like I'm coming good. Souths may be the freshen-up that I need. I'm just aiming to finish this year on the best possible note that I can.”

And at the back of his mind will be playing his final football with his brother Brett. He is mystified at reports that he said he and his brother would not play against each other.

“I don’t know why it's being reported that we have come out and made some kind of vow not to play against each other. It makes us look like sooks.

‘‘Would I prefer to play with Brett? Yes, of course. We are close as brothers and there is no way I’d be saying it's great to play against him.

‘‘But we are both professionals and we know it's been a good run playing together and we accept that. I'm not going to be in Brett’s ear saying he should come and play with me at Souths.

''He is his own man. It was like me when I left he said I had to look after myself and my family and he has to do the same.”

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/glenn-stewart-refuses-to-slam-sea-eagles-despite-his-forced-departure-from-the-club-20140426-zqzq8.html#ixzz30BhRP83x

This article was buried in another thread but thought it should have it's own life. Sheds a bit more light on the whole saga.

Even accounting for the "reporter" responsible for the article, I must admit that it raises some interesting points. Why did the club sit on their hands for so long given that they were well aware of his contract situation ? Seems this is a bit of a sore point for Gifty, and rightly so. Looks like he is well disappointed with the way things have transpired, and if what is reported is true then I feel disappointed as a supporter that he has been treated like this. All along I felt that we wanted to keep him but couldn't work out a contract that wouldn't insult him and still fit the cap. Maybe not the case. He has been a great part of this club and deserved better.

Chip and Chase said:
This article was buried in another thread but thought it should have it's own life. Sheds a bit more light on the whole saga.

Even accounting for the "reporter" responsible for the article, I must admit that it raises some interesting points. Why did the club sit on their hands for so long given that they were well aware of his contract situation ? Seems this is a bit of a sore point for Gifty, and rightly so. Looks like he is well disappointed with the way things have transpired, and if what is reported is true then I feel disappointed as a supporter that he has been treated like this. All along I felt that we wanted to keep him but couldn't work out a contract that wouldn't insult him and still fit the cap. Maybe not the case. He has been a great part of this club and deserved better.

Rightly so.
Gifty is not a new comer to the club.
He deserves better. Much better.
I believe this is out of the coaching staff's hands, not like before when one person has absolute say.
It's apparent what was said before by coaching staff and what transpired at the office did not result in what the coaching staff may have wanted.

Chip and Chase said:

I was wondering why the process was drawn out as well @Chip and Chase and have listed below 5 potential reasons based on what has been written in the last few weeks, separate or combined........

1. Maybe Management were involved in negotiations with other players affecting the cap and were waiting for commitment before letting Gift go. I consider this a bit of a juggle theory - who you catch and who you drop, you don't want to end up dropping them all.:rolleyes::shy::(

2. Waiting on special dispensation from NRL for long serving players. Reports suggest that this was applied for. Have you ever applied for a special dispensation, me neither, but I bet a decision doesn't come back fast:s

3. Maybe awaiting confirmation of potential increase to salary cap over next few years. I know that the cap was increasing, I'm sure it would be locked in by now though.:-/

4. Long Shot: I'm sure I've read the NRL are currently reviewing all aspects of contracting players to keep them in our code including directly contracting the top tier of players to the NRL ala Cricket Australia (something I also suggested doing in an earlier post, hope they lifted that:cool: ). Doubtful this would affect next year if ever.

5. Possibly negotiation on the NRL value placed on Gift based on his SOO representation. But if it was reduced and was our offer we surely wouldn't be competitive against Souths offer.

I don't want to consider rumours of board splits on decision on Gift. I would like to think that despite any differences all SE supporters want to keep the best team on the field.

All just my opinion.

globaleagle said:
Maybe he didn't slam the club....but there's a couple of gentle backhanders in there.
Exactly :cool:

The bigger question is that last year, when Snake was holding out for overs, why didn't they band together and renegotiate a double deal? :huh:

The reported 7 month negotiation does in fact mean that there was a dialogue.
But Gifty doesn't state his requirements in the report, only that the Club should not have 'insulted' him with an offer that he wouldn't accept.

Nor do we know that nominal value that the Club has been actively debating with the NRL. This is the bigger issue, as Benji is about to be tagged with a figure - pulled out of Greenturd's arse no doubt - to welcome back a guy who walked out in a huff.
Yet a single Club Player is penalized for working himself up to Representative Level :mad:

Its a done deal now and both sides have committed elsewhere :cool:

Glenn Stewart refuses to slam Sea Eagles

and rightly so!
Twelve years on a top-dollar weekly pay-check.... A coupla $mill there.

It's not like he hasn't picked up any money for those 12 years.

Sure... top player, one-club man, would love to keep him, damn NRL rules, part of close-knit friends.... yep, we've heard it over and over.

Deal is done.... move on!

He had a loooong period where he was busted.

I think the clubs tolerance for any forward coming off contract in their early thirties is going to be limited; they have demonstrated their willingness to make really tough decisions.

There are many reasons, last year was not Glen, s best which might have led to a wait and see approach by the club but I agree that they are also trying to juggle many balls at once and were hanging out to see if they could have made an offer.

The Wheel said:
There are many reasons, last year was not Glen, s best which might have led to a wait and see approach by the club but I agree that they are also trying to juggle many balls at once and were hanging out to see if they could have made an offer.

Also read somewhere along the way that he was after a three year deal which was obviously a sticking point too.
Interesting that he went to Souths on a two year deal and I'd like to know what $$.
From memory the length of term was also an obstacle in Snake's last deal as it is with alot of players nearing the back end of their careers.

I don't think the club necessarily made the wrong decision by not retaining him, would have been nice for him to play out his career here, but if his money gets spent on the likes of Tafua, Hiku, DCE, Turbo etc then that's the future for us I believe, and it's money well spent.

What I have a little bit of an issue with is that there doesn't appear that there has been open and frank dialogue between the two parties, and he seems a bit peeved with that. I just felt he was entitled to have an opportunity to sort his future out on his terms, rather than be left hanging as it appears he was. Still, in his words, he isn't sooking about it which shows what a pro he is. Hopefully he can end his time here on a positive note.

HappilyManly said:
But Gifty doesn't state his requirements in the report, only that the Club should not have 'insulted' him with an offer that he wouldn't accept.
Don't know where you got that bit HM, it isn't in the article.

His gripe seems to be that the club should have told him 'months ago' whether he was a priority. Which is a tad harsh against the club, he's still contracted until October.

I doubt we'd be any happier if it was announced before the season even started that he'd be going elsewhere.

We've had a few DT articles on this. I recall picking up on the word 'insult' as being hardly condusive to negotiating in previous threads :cool:

Its the Managers who deal with the Club, so maybe that man needs to pick up his game.

Still think that contracts should be done off season as they are distracting to all parties.

HappilyManly said:
We've had a few DT articles on this. I recall picking up on the word 'insult' as being hardly condusive to negotiating in previous threads :cool:
Pretty sure he has never been quoted as saying that. Any links?

I wish we'd won two wooden spoons instead of premierships. Then our players would be worth not much at all and we could keep them all.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
HappilyManly said:
Pretty sure he has never been quoted as saying that. Any links?

We discussed it here:
http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Glen-and-Brett-to-dogs?pid=561787&highlight=negotia#pid561787

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/crawley-files-stewarts-and-sea-eagles-find-the-price-for-loyalty-is-too-high/story-fni3fh9n-1226895268470

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/secret-stewart-brothers-meeting-raises-fears-of-manly-exodus-20140412-zqtx7.html

Its all fish and chip paper now, as he has contracted himself away from Manly for next year :cool:

HappilyManly said:
The reported 7 month negotiation does in fact mean that there was a dialogue.
I agree it doesn't matter very much any more HM, but in fairness to Glenn, neither of the articles you quoted suggest he ever said that at all!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6