Glenn Stewart - for or against

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sure TEHL, but is that really relevant here ?

Gift is on the return from injury and IMO offers less than Tred. My view is that its not a case of dropping Stewart, but rather, promoting Tred for his attacking abilities and allowing Gift to reclaim his run on spot when he is back to top level.

Jatz Crackers said:

Gift is on the return from injury and IMO offers less than Tred. My view is that its not a case of dropping Stewart, but rather, promoting Tred for his attacking abilities and allowing Gift to reclaim his run on spot when he is back to top level.

I want more minutes from Symonds, but for me he is a perfect fit to come on after 20 and make an impact hitting the edges of the ruck and testing tiring defences

Glenn isn't a player who will make an impact off the bench really. In a big game he is a guy I would much rather have on in the physical opening stages where the packs are testing each other out

Everyone seems to be obsessed with Stewarts attacking game but forget that defence is also 50% of the game, and he is still going extremely well in that department

Kiwi Eagle said:
I want more minutes from Symonds, but for me he is a perfect fit to come on after 20 and make an impact hitting the edges of the ruck and testing tiring defences

Glenn isn't a player who will make an impact off the bench really. In a big game he is a guy I would much rather have on in the physical opening stages where the packs are testing each other out

Everyone seems to be obsessed with Stewarts attacking game but forget that defence is also 50% of the game, and he is still going extremely well in that department

The difference I see KE is that Symonds has an almost eaqual defensive commitment when he came on in early stages in games past, so on record so far I bank on him to do it further. Maybe that is because he is new, and maybe he will prove less effective than Gift in the future, but at the moment, its a fair comparison equation.

When Symonds has been on his attack seemed to gel with the rest of the attack and it sems to me that if Gift is building back tyo a return after injury it makes sense to let Tred take the reins until he forces a change.

bazeagle said:
This is a FULL CRAP and nightmare post. Who started it? Ban that poster. Glenn is a massive Manly legend who has had injuries and lost form. Pull your multiple heads in and show some respect. Glenn Stewart deserves immortal levels of respect at Manly for what he has done and who he is. He also has a brother who he has combined with on many many occasions to win game after game for us. Again I say, pull your head(s) in and show respect.
g'day all,I dont think its a matter of respect or lack thereof for glen bazeagle,i woudnt imagine to many posters or manly fans in general dont appreciate what hes done and achieved, personally, and for the club.That doesnt mean people cant be critical of how he is playing now.As you have pointed out unfortunately hes had injuries and is out of form and there comes a time for all players when they arent what they were.As other posters have pointed out defensively hes been sound enough but his work with the ball has been largely ineffective and we had a younger player who was making a real impact now getting little game time.One of the unfortunate cliches of sport is your only as good as your last game and its been a long time since glen has consistently produced performances of the quality we used to see,and people are legitimately entitled to ask the question of what is the best option in that position.
cheers mike

This thread is too late. He is starting to play much better now and deserves his spot after his last effort. BUT he should have come back from the bench or had limited game time with T RED having more than what he got since Gift was back. Games are so structured now I'd love to see Choc and Gift swap sides for one or two attacking raids per game, but probably wont happen.

I think Gift is a victim of circumstance. His return pretty much coincided with the loss of Nood, Richie and Kingdog. Is the drop off in Manly's form due to Glen Stewart's return, or the loss of some significant go forward and aggression up the middle ?? Methinks it's the latter. Who's to say T-Red wouldn't have had the same lack of impact over that time had Glen not came back. In fact, I'd say there are a few players down on impact since Round 7.

I'm happy with Glen Stewart starting, but I do feel that Symonds should be better utilised off the bench.

Chip and Chase said:
I think Gift is a victim of circumstance. His return pretty much coincided with the loss of Nood, Richie and Kingdog. Is the drop off in Manly's form due to Glen Stewart's return, or the loss of some significant go forward and aggression up the middle ?? Methinks it's the latter. Who's to say T-Red wouldn't have had the same lack of impact over that time had Glen not came back. In fact, I'd say there are a few players down on impact since Round 7.

I'm happy with Glen Stewart starting, but I do feel that Symonds should be better utilised off the bench.
I am a big fan of Gifty but i believe when a player is in top form he shines under all circumstances . Even Gift has said he is still not worthy of a NSW recall .Defensively he is going very well . but there is little impact in attack. Pedestrian and Predictable I hope he comes good soon

He's improving each week with match fitness and running straighter now.

Watch what happens when Brett comes back and their combination in attack with Jamie is back on.

He has to be in the side somewhere. I Would like to see Symonds start and Gifty come off the bench for a while when Fa'aoso comes back. I just think we were going well and starting well when Horo was at 13 and Symonds was on that edge. When at full strength i think Buhrer may be the one cut. Time for a yart

1. Stewart
2. Taufua
3. Matai
4. Lyon
5. Williams
6. Foran
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Kite
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. Watmough
12. Symonds
13. Horo

14. Stewart
15. Fa'aoso
16. Rose
17. Hasson

Jatz Crackers said:

This is no doubt the answer, its ridiculous to think we could drop Gift to NSw Cup when atm, theres limited bench options - Gower for Gift???.
In recent seasons everyone from media to supporters have claimed we have the most potent right hand attack & on most occasions has involved G Stewart. Imo he came back into the side underdone - losing that extra spring of pace to get outside his man creating space for Lyon & the fitness to be where he would like to be. Almost a case of his body not being up to the speed of his creative mindset creating poor timing, forced passes & frustration. I believe Gift just needs to feel less responsable to create everytime he gets the ball, play more simple & direct till he gets back to 100%. Then again champions can leave egg on your face & would not suprise to see him hit top form in coming weeks - MUST be in the 17.

In, but he's got to straighten his attack. Tom Symonds needs more game time.

In Hindsight Glenn should have returned from injury on the bench.

the mauler said:
This is going to be a funny thread with egg on a lot of faces when Gift hits form and we starts winning games. I just can't believe how quick everyone is to discard a champion player.
He is a Champion player and when he starts playing like a champion player again he will keep all the frustrated supporters quite

BOZO said:
the mauler said:
This is going to be a funny thread with egg on a lot of faces when Gift hits form and we starts winning games. I just can't believe how quick everyone is to discard a champion player.
He is a Champion player and when he starts playing like a champion player again he will keep all the frustrated supporters quite

Keep them quite what?

bones said:
BOZO said:
the mauler said:

Keep them quite what?
quite happy :D

MK Eagle said:
Jatz Crackers said:

This is no doubt the answer, its ridiculous to think we could drop Gift to NSw Cup when atm, theres limited bench options - Gower for Gift???.
In recent seasons everyone from media to supporters have claimed we have the most potent right hand attack & on most occasions has involved G Stewart. Imo he came back into the side underdone - losing that extra spring of pace to get outside his man creating space for Lyon & the fitness to be where he would like to be. Almost a case of his body not being up to the speed of his creative mindset creating poor timing, forced passes & frustration. I believe Gift just needs to feel less responsable to create everytime he gets the ball, play more simple & direct till he gets back to 100%. Then again champions can leave egg on your face & would not suprise to see him hit top form in coming weeks - MUST be in the 17.

Glenn is not playing any different than he has for the last few years and has looked slow since 09.

Has beautiful ball skills but lacks the sharpness now to be effective, big tank heavy defensive involvement but like Hindmarsh(back end of his career) does a fair amount of work but lacks impact and any sort of explosive go forward to test the defensive line.

Defensively he can be found wanting when the tempo rises as he struggles to keep up with the pace and his lateral movement is not sharp. Racks up good tackle counts and can hit hard but sometimes his tackle counts hide his defensive flaws to the general observer.

Unless he regains some sharpness or his role is redefined the future is not looking good for him at Manly.

Will still make an impact and i still love his ball playing(he was my favourite player up to 09) but it's going to be less often.

He was trying on occasions to play more direct and straight against the Dogs and just hit the ball up at times also which is a positive---at least there has been an obvious change to his play hopefully it continues.

Agree Glen is attempting to play the same as he has since 09 & thats my point, due to lacking that extra step of pace & sharpness he is unable to do this, creating mistimed & forced offloads that look awkward, unlike his smooth service between 2008 - 2012 that earned him rep status.
If you look at footage of Seaeagles tries in this period Glen is involved in a huge portion beating his man inside & out, providing space for Lyon & co outside. Its not he has suddenly forgotten how to do this, his agility is slightly slower, enough for the defensive line to shut him down creating a frustrated lateral moving G Stewart due to the fact that outside defender does not have to come in to close him down, instead sliding wider on Lyon allowing the inside defenders to tackle Stewart.
By the business end of the season he can reclaim that extra step & again cause havoc to the wide left edge defensive lines imo.
Will play more direct in coming weeks till he is 100% & come September be integral to our 2013 premiership aspirations.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6