Glen recruitment the board

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
First and foremost the club made the right decision re glen. He has been a champion but manly squad is ageing and turnover is a must. Glen also happens to play a position where manly have recruited very well in. Manly simply can not allow for 5 senior players to bow out at the same time because they feel they want too, and deserve it.manly have also been able to asses accurately what life without glen would be like as he has played so little in recent seasons.In that time manly have faired quite well except for the attitude glen brings to the defence. In saying that the game is moving away from that with rule changes. As much as glen will be missed it was a solid decision.

However the handling of the decision was poor if we believe what we read in regards to no contract offered. As the rumblings grew strong leadership was required and while i have no idea what transpired its easy to conclude it was not handled as well as it could have been.

The reaction from some of the players from the outside seem strange to me. Surely at some stage they realise its business. Its times like this you realise just how professional someone like kitey was. He probably with bk laid the foundations of manly culture and slipped out the door, all class and style, without a whimper. But the more i think about it, the more i think they are probably entitled to more

Manly have played through years and years of off field controversy, making it look like its a necessary ingredient to be successful footy team. They have defied the basic premise that a good front office is integral...........until now.

Choc going to parra, brett to canberra. The rumours, they want out, there pissed. Its hard to see how the ends could justify the means. How does Brett moving to canberra help his family situation. It just doesnt. Some rationale and some strong leadership could probably put this all to bed . The management the board, could probably present a strong case to the players about building a team, ensuring success, but after years of carrying on like pork chops will the players respect them enough to listen . I doubt that

Before the decision to release glen was made, manly should have set aside this year as a special year for glen, held a few galas, paraded him, respected his contribution as they should have with kitey. Manly have had such a special group of players much more should have been done to recognise the achievements but this has been missed entirely from our management and thats sad. It seems our gift has been taken for granted and the players probably know they may be as well.

Kitey, glen, brett, choc, matty, killer king dog, and skivvy are all players that should be treated like royalty when there tenure with the club passes. They havnt earned the right to dictate who stays and comes but they have earned the right to go out i style. And that doesnt mean 3 laps around the oval at the last home game. These guys have made many other people look good and have carried a club through an embarrassing time of mis managed calamity . We are manly we set our own standards and the way these guys are bowing out is a disgrace. Manly just never **** in there own nest.

A lot of the blame is being aimed at the players but i think thats wrong. It doesnt matter where you work the number one thing any employee wants is to feel worth. And no contract,and no fan fare for the monumental efforts does not represent worth in my eyes.

For whatever reason the club couldn't offer Glen a contract. For what reason we're unlikely to ever know and rightly so, it's between Glen and the club.

I dare say he would have got his proper sending off had his injury worries this year not dictated it the other way.

I just get all this annoyance that the club it's being labeled disloyal when we don't know the circumstances.

Does loyalty to Glen mean we need to be disloyal to players like kite and Menzies? Does it mean copping a salary cap fine or points deduction. Does it mean jeopardizing the future of the club by releasing juniors.

I wanted to see both the Stewarts as one club players and its going to make me sick to the stomach seeing him play for another team, but we can't accuse the club of being disloyal when we don't know why they couldn't sign him on again.

I think a good point you bring up jbb/james is

"The management the board, could probably present a strong case to the players about building a team, ensuring success, but after years of carrying on like pork chops will the players respect them enough to listen . I doubt that"

The Board has been infighting and building positions of power and undermining each other for so long why would the players listen to them? And this certainly isn't helped by rumours that Gift wasn't offered a contract because of attempts to get at Zorba (or others). True or not given the fighting that has occurred it's not really a leap of faith to believe it.

Strong leadership is definitely needed.

I support the decision to cut Gift. I hate seeing him go, he is one of my favourites, but hard decisions needed to be made. And to souths (god I want to puke!). But the handling with the players, media, fans needed to be better.

I think as fans we can all cop players having to be let go, it sux, but has to happen. But we can't cop our legends being disrespected. (or appearing to be disrespected).

Let me start off by saying I have no idea.

Wouldn't mind betting that the club didn't table an offer to Glenn because he was asking too much from the start. Fox Sports reported that Souths are paying him a $600k salary.

IMO that is way too much and I think Glenn missing the majority of this season justifies the clubs stance if that figure is true.

I quietly hope Souths pull out of the deal and Glenn stays at Manly for less money but i can't see it happening.

I doubt VERY much the theory about the Gifty / Zorba retaliation angle, despite their issues that's just a bridge too far.

Has anyone thought it just came down to " sorry Gifty we can't fit you into our cap on the money you want"???

Gifty's agent tests the waters, gets $650 a season for two years, goes back to the club who say " sorry we can't match".

I can't see that it's the boards problem, it's the " going off like a pork chop" situation caused by Zorba AND the Stewarts, Choccy just became a pawn.

No one player is bigger than the club!!

Everyone needs to listen closely to Toovey when he speaks of the club.
The culture was built 40-50 years ago, especially in the 70's. What the current group has done to rebuild our club will never be forgotten and never be fully understood. We were gone. That is their legacy

In response to the post above from Mark.

Hypothetically, I wonder what would have happened if the following had unfolded.

Gift's management goes to Manly wanting $600K a season for the next 2 years.

Manly say "Sorry Glenn. But we can't accommodate you on that sort of money but feel free to test the market".

Glenn's management can't come up with an offer even from struggling clubs and come back to Manly asking, "Ok, what can you offer then ?"

Perry offers Glenn $200K a year for 2 years citing (rightfully so) the need to secure future players like the Turbos, Hiku and Gutherson. Unhappy but knowing that's all he can get, he signs.

The NRL reject the contract claiming it's below his market value. On the contrary says Glenn, it's the best (and only) offer I have received. The NRL stands firm and Gift either sues for being denied the opportunity to earn a living or is forced to retire.

Can someone explain how that makes sense ? Now I know it's a moot point as the cash was forthcoming from the Vermin but there would have been a chance it could have played out that way. Personally, as great a player as Glenn is, he's not worth that much at this end of his career.

Anyway, just putting it out there.

This whole debate is sad.

Very tough that a club is forced to let a legend leave cause the stupid NRL want to spend more time pandering to the likes of Money BW and guys who are only loyal to themselves.

Shame on you NRL for denying Gift the chance to leave on his own terms.

I suspect the Management had a third party arrangement made for Glenn and that's why they asked the League to give him dispensation from a percentage of the cap. The TPA would have supplemented his salary to a level he would have expected. Trouble is there is a limited amount of CAP money that can be paid to players and a minimum outlay for rep players from the cap. I can see I think what the Board had in mind but the League refused to budge.

The problem I guess is that there is just so much of the Cap money to be allocated and some of the young players who've already played rep football such as Buhrer and who Manly wanted to keep, would have been lost if hard decisions werent made. $600,000 a year, which is no doubt what Stewart would have been asking, is probably the total Manly will be offering the Trbojevic brothers, Gutherson and perhaps Symonds together. None are stars like Glen Stewart, but they could be our future.

For mine I understand the Board's action.

I think we could have fit Glenn under the cap (contrary to what was originally stated when he left), but obviously at the expense of future stars. The club very deliberately does not want to find themselves in a situation where they have Ballin, Kitey, Snake, Gifty, Skivvy, Choc, and Killer, all pulling stumps in one horrendous clump. Gifty was simply next on the list.

*Skivvy's form over the last 18 months has forced Manly's hand to extend, when he was more than likely going to be let go at the end of next year.

*Kitey was let go under the assumption that Fa'aoso and Big Joe had football left in them

I can see a clear strategy from the club here. I just hope Foran is not an indirect casualty of that strategy.

As a long time Seaeagles supporter have seen many champion players leave the club, many have had me shrugging shoulders and p``sed off.
Fact is, no player is bigger than the club, if this was the case Brookie would have closed the gates after Bozo Fulton became a Chook!!
Sad day indeed when Gift signed elsewhere but its these testing times when ppl get tough and stick together.
That doesnt mean we have to agree with the decision, but have faith in the decisions the Manly staff make to move foward, after all it has been the most successful team due to some harsh yet critical decisions that have us riding the wave of success almost evey season...

Mark from Brisbane said:
One thing that I believe is correct is that the club asked the NRL for dispensation, given we have so many players in the 10 year and plus level .

Which blows out of the water the suggestion he was unwanted.

I think he was wanted (why wouldn't you want a ball playing hard head with GF experience in your team), but only if the price was right. We could fit him in either way, but only wanted him if it meant we could have our cake and eat it too (which involved dispensation so others could also be re-signed). Just my opinion on what may have transpired.

Why do the NRL get to dictate how much a player is worth? I f Glenn, or Choc, or even SBW want to play for peanuts, as long as they are only getting peanuts, it has nothing to do with the NRL, IMO.

Snake said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
One thing that I believe is correct is that the club asked the NRL for dispensation, given we have so many players in the 10 year and plus level .

Which blows out of the water the suggestion he was unwanted.

I think he was wanted (why wouldn't you want a ball playing hard head with GF experience in your team), but only if the price was right. We could fit him in either way, but only wanted him if it meant we could have our cake and eat it too (which involved dispensation so others could also be re-signed). Just my opinion on what may have transpired.

I think though that given his international status, Manly was required to pay him a minimum amount from the cap. I understand that the cap has a condition that a minimum payment must be made from the cap for players of his status. Otherwise we could have paid him peanuts from the cap and a fortune as Third party.

Why should the club throw money at an ageing player who is going to miss games injured ??..

TokyoEagle said:
Why do the NRL get to dictate how much a player is worth? I f Glenn, or Choc, or even SBW want to play for peanuts, as long as they are only getting peanuts, it has nothing to do with the NRL, IMO.

The Salary Cap would not work if a Club can value their star like the Rorters seem to be able to do :dodgy:

The RLPA need to get the NRL to publish a scale of valuations, so that everybody knows how the dollar amount is arrived at by the NRL.

*Points weighted for being a Kangaroo Rep, reducing down to points for being a City/Country Rep
*Points weighted for being a positional Award player - Dally M, Golden Boot, Rep PLayer
*Concession points for being a local Junior
*Concession points for being a 5 year plus club man
etc

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8