Gifty debuted at Fullback - One for the historians?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
I was chatting to a league historian on Friday who wondered if anyone could help with this one?

Rd 20 of 2003 - Manly 26 def Broncos 20 @ Suncorp. This was Glenn's debut match. It was 3 weeks after Brett made his debut v Parra - his one and only appearance for the year after being injured in that game (trying to tackle Jamie Lyon I think!).

The Fox Sports coverage of the Rd 20 v Broncos game lists Glenn at fullback (wearing #20) in the Manly team list at the start of the match. Warren Smith announces that Glenn Stewart is fullback.

However, he didn't start the match, and certainly didn't play fullback. Brendon Reeves was out injured, with Mitch Creary in #5 switching to fullback.

Whether Fox Sports stuffed it up, or if Peter Sharp issued the pre-match team list incorrectly &/or made a late change, he's not sure.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Is there a cure for cancer riding on the outcome?

From memory he played the entire match in the forwards.  In 2003/4 he seemed a lucky charm as he was on the winning side for his first handful of appearances at a time where we could win nothing but Jye Mullane's signature. 

I'd suggest Fox stuffed up.  The entire team flew under the radar back then and I reckon they may have guessed at the fullback when Reeves was out.

It is of course entirely plausible that Sharp didn;t know who was fullback either!

Was this not the game that Luke Dorn through a miracle behind the back pass to our winger to score the winning try?  I recollect that was our last win of the year that season and we fnished 2nd last?

Glen definetely played in the forwards that game and I say it was a Fox stuff up maybe confusing him with Brett

5.  M. CREARY
2. S. DONALD
3. A. TORRENS
18. A. WATMOUGH
17. K. McGUINNESS
15. S. HARRIS
7. L. DORN
8. J. KING
9. C. RANDALL
10. D. LIMA
11. S. HAUMONO
12. L. WILLIAMSON
13. S. MENZIES (c)

14. A. CANNINGS
16. T. JENSEN
19. C. HAYNE
20. G. STEWART

Good looking side that

I don't even recall a C Hayne playing for us

Match best remembered for the Luke Dorn pass

Geez that backlien doesn't give me much confidence in their ability to tackle/defend - all turnstiles the lot of them

The Stewards should have been called in on the Broncosgiven they only managed 20 against that mob.

I recall that a commentator was looking forward to seeing Glenn's pace! Then the other commentator said no that's his brother this bloke is a forward.

The Wheel said:
Was this not the game that Luke Dorn through a miracle behind the back pass to our winger to score the winning try? I recollect that was our last win of the year that season and we fnished 2nd last?

Glen definetely played in the forwards that game and I say it was a Fox stuff up maybe confusing him with Brett

Trying to find footage of that

Fox Team listing

http://youtu.be/WtVx5Z_QJTM

Glen's first scrum and tackle

http://youtu.be/ObWQJt7-jlI

That pass

http://youtu.be/p4mldAD3qeU

Man, look how young Choc looked. And I always loved Albert Torrens - always did his best for us.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, eagle66.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
Man, look how young Choc looked. And I always loved Albert Torrens - always did his best for us.

Torrens scored 4 tries against the dogs one day, then like Tony Jensen, went to the dragons and faded away. I liked Allbert too.

Wow what a sensational pass by Dorn but it would have been just as effective to have passed the ball conventionally. We had them completely outnumbered.

Ron E. Gibbs said:

Choc was the first thing I noticed, Beaver still looks exactly the same. Was also a big fan of Torrens, a great player through a tough period for Manly.

Jeepers....Shoe1 digging through the archives for this thread!

I did actually speak to Gifty about this (At the Christmas party that the Eagles put on for kids at the Manly Waterworks a few years ago from memory)

I can't remember the full story but again from memory he was called in at the last minute because someone got injured close to game time and he was a rushed inclusion and listed at full back but didn't play there.

I do remember he had a chuckle when we discussed it and him saying he'd never been "picked" at fullback before but reckoned he'd make a better go of it than his brother....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6