Get out the tissues

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Great news to see that the mighty Beaver is confirmed as going around next year. It does however seem that it will indeed be his last. So get the tissues out as we get ready to say goodbye to one of the club's favourite (if not THE favourite) sons.

:cry: :cry:

No doubt about it, easily my favourite player by a long, long way.

Bugger it and I thought he would never retire!!

champion in every sense of the word

i know u can get debate on weather he is ahead of Bozo or cliffy as our best ever.

But can anyone name a local junior who has been a great as beaver

I will be interested to see the events organised to celebrate this, given the necessity for the NRL to promote crystal clean players and the unsurety surrounding the 08 year being Beavers last. What will it be ?

Toovey would be the other local who contributed a lot to the club.

I have said my bit on the immortal - though the missing NE years probably put paid to that as Beaver didn't play Origin or Tests in that time due to no profile.

Mata had a great idea of the NRL profiling him as a face of the game in the 100th year as he is everything that is good about our game.

Anti Manly bias will put paid to that. It will be up to Manly to farewell him!!!

I think he is one of the favourite sons of the league, from everyone i speak to they all love beaver he is a clean and nice bloke and it shows.

[quote author=Matabele]
crap Byso!

Are you suggesting he isn't a Manly Immortal?
[/quote]

I'm suggesting that it would be an embarrasment if he didn't become an immortal because his exploits far outweigh some of the current members of that august group.

He maybe a top person and hold many attributes that should lead him to be regarded as the greatest role model of the modern era for players and supporters.

But he would hardly be regarded as one of the best "on field" performers ever. Which is what the “immortal” tag is about?

Top tryscoring forward of all time. I reckon he is up there but his loyalty to Manly in the dark years and subsequent lack of rep footy then cost him the tag. What forwards have been better all-round players than him in the modern era???

Exactly CW. He broke a record that stood for 70 years (top try-scoring forward of all time) has been a model citizen on and off the field and will hopefully retire with the most number of games played and the first past the magical 350 figure.

Stacks up pretty well against a Beetson that languished in Reserve Grade at Parramatta for quite a hile.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2