Geoff Toovey says ‘thank you’ in passionate letter to Manly fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Seems like this has become a debate on the good old Tooves coaching vs our forwards vs TB. Now here's my take on it...
If TB ain't that good, I'm sure we have our men ready to win games on their own measure. We still have a few leaders who will lead, and young blood who will fire at the drop of a pin.... TB may click when he sees all this. He may click right away!

My point is, it is not as black and white as either having a good coach or sh#t coach, a big forward pack or mobile pack.

Last edited:
Seems like this has become a debate on the good old Tooves couching vs our forwards vs TB. Now here's my take on it...
If TB ain't that good, I'm sure we have our men ready to win games on their own measure. We still have a few leaders who will lead, and young blood who will fire at the drop of a pin.... TB may click when he sees all this. He may click right away!

My point is, it is not as black and white as either having a good couch or sh#t couch, a big forward pack or mobile pack.

What difference is a couch going to make?

I'm on a couch about to watch Gummies v Vermin, can't stand Souffs so looks like it's " GoSharkies"

FMD guys it's Sunday, give it up and move on or otherwise **** it's going to be a long off season!!

You don't like each other , we get that , but if you just stop baiting each other and just agree that everyone has different opinions then you'd get on.

Otherwise , just carry on!!
Are you referring to me Mark? (given your posting directly followed mine)

If so, you are way off the mark in suggesting I don't like Ryan.

Just want to say my bit in thanking Tooves for what he has contributed and means to Manly Warringah Rugby League and to the League in general.

You have my utmost respect mate and personally I hope you remain active in the club and hopefully take on an Arthurson type role. We need your commitment and loyalty, something seriously missing in the present atmosphere in the club. We will miss you but never forget you. I feel greatly thankful for the enjoyment you have given me and the fans with not only your commitment to the game as a player and coach, but also the way you have handled yourself through this difficult time.

You leave with no shame, but you leave behind others who fit too well into that tag. Best wishes mate. Hope we see you back soon.

p.s. I am in saying all this not disparaging the incoming coach Barrett. He has no fault in this travesty, and just applied for a vacant position like any aspiring coach would. I hope he does well and he certainly seems to have some good prospects to work with. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
Bull****

I'll call you on that one buddy, I'm as placid as the lake that's named after me !!
Stop bickering Mark. Just accept opinions differ. @;)

How's the caravanning going mate? What's your favourite spots and where are you heading now? I've just returned from a couple of years on the road myself and it was absolute bliss.

Last edited:
It's obvious that your too emotional to have a rational argument where you can only make a statement like your opening paragraph from behind a keyboard. Tough little man with a mouse in hand. You were a bit late with your reply so I suspect what you were smelling was a little closer to home. Maybe your phone was in your back pocket.

Our forward pack was regularly monstered by the more aggressive froward packs. Souths simply are not the same pack without Sam Burgess and Ben Te'o. I also don't consider the Broncos a monster pack. They are certainly an efficient , hard working pack. But hardly a huge pack like the Bulldogs or Roosters, both of whom beat us every time this season. FFS we couldn't even cope with the Eels pack. We were also without Brenton Lawrence and Josh Starling for most of the season - two of our bigger forwards. Although I doubt their inclusion would have changed much. It may have been a secret to you that our forward pack was our weakness but to most commentators of the game and any fan with the most basic understanding of forward play saw it as our most glaring weakness.

You also said in your initial post that you thought Toovey was let down by some of his players. Sounds like you were trying to defend him to me. It wasn't until we started to regularly have a reasonable chunk of our roster on the field each weak that we were somehow able to make a run at the finals. Sure in the end we failed but having our players on the field instead of the stands made a huge difference to Toovey's game plan, set plays...............Surely you get the picture.

In the end though, we got totally smashed by a monster forward pack in the second last round which showed us where our forwards really are in the pecking order.
Ryan, Frank & Rex - not the threesome that I normally like to pass my time with.

Still think he is getting the Oz job. Something coming along shortly... The ARL meeting in October to decide the coaching landscape... Hmmm me thinks Tooves will get the gig he wants/deserves...
I hope so Loobs, there's no better or more deserving candidate.

Geoff Toovey says ‘thank you’ in passionate letter to Manly fans
  • JON GEDDES
  • MANLY DAILY
  • SEPTEMBER 11, 2015 4:26PM
092792-fc2c240a-5823-11e5-92cc-08b6ad417510.jpg

Coach Geoff Toovey has written a letter to Sea Eagles fans and the northern beaches community. Picture: Toby Zerna.

GEOFF Toovey has delivered a passionate message to all Manly fans and the northern beaches community as he departs from his position as first grade coach.

Despite the difficulties he has been through, Toovey took the time out to pen a thank you letter for all the support he has received over the past 28 years as both a player and coach at the Sea Eagles where he has become a club icon.

To all the Manly fans and the Northern Beaches community,

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support, particularly over the last four years where I have been fortunate enough to coach the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Rugby League team but also for the years of support when I was playing at the club.

From my debut in 1988 to my final game last Sunday, I am continually amazed by the spirit shown from the people on the Northern Beaches and beyond. For those that turn out every week with their personalised signs, those who can only cheer from their lounge rooms, and those who listen to the radio or read about the outcome in the paper the next day, you are the reason why the game and I are so privileged.

Over the past year particularly, I’ve been overwhelmed by the support not only for myself but for the cultural significance the Manly team embellishes along the Peninsula. People who I have not had the pleasure of knowing personally have approached me on the street and commented on social media, wishing me all the best in my career beyond Manly. I have been taken aback by their gestures and realised it is I who should be thanking them.

Sport plays such a significant role in bonding our community together, whether that be rugby league, union, football, netball, amateur, professional or purely as a spectator. Sport has given me so much over many decades, no matter if it was playing for the Belrose Eagles or coaching the local primary school team, it has provided me with a sense of identity and belonging in this great area.

Whilst I am unsure of what the future will bring for myself, I know I have been blessed to not only have been brought up in this area but to have a great sense of friendship, responsibility and commitment to the people within it.

Thank you for everything.

“I wanted to convey my feelings about how the peninsula has looked after me for many, many years,” Toovey explained.

GEOFF TOOVEY IS GOING OUT ON THE FRONT FOOT

“I appreciate the support not only from the rugby league fans but also the general community who have got behind me.’

Toovey said that has all him feel like he is a part of the northern beaches culture.

“I just think it shows that generally people around here look after each other and make sure that everyone is OK,” he said.

Toovey, who has been replaced as head coach by Trent Barrett, now has to adjust to the unfamiliar feeling of rugby league not being front and centre- at least in the short term.

“I suppose I feel l lost, the routine has gone out of my life at the moment,” Toovey said.

“I am used to getting up and going to work at 7.30 and getting stuck into it.

“But I’m sure something will come along shortly.”
Thanks Geoff, you have always had my respect and admiration as a player and coach and we could all learn from the gracious manner in which you have handled the events of this past year, all the very best for the future I know you won't be without a gig for long, you would be a valuable asset to any organisation.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7