Genuine Thoughts about Hasler 12 months on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't hate Hasler. Never have and never will. But I hate the underhandedness of his departure and the continued deception in 2012 re. player poaching.
I just don't understand it after a 28 year association with our club, regardless of who he had his issues with.
For me the issue is not hating Hasler, it's loving all things Manly and for a long time that included Dessie.

Mark from Brisbane said:
manlywarringah said:
Hasler left because he wanted a million dollars a year and we simply didn't have the money to offer him that much at the time.

No one has said he should have knocked back double his salary, it's what he did after he signed with the dogs that we are disgusted about.

This is spot on, despite what others have said about boards / infighting blah blah blah.

He wanted more money, we couldn't afford it (they could), we lost, bad luck get over it!!

BUT

It's the way (and how) it went down....pure De$ Ha$ler.....THAT is what I can't get over.

If you compare the movement of Wayne Bennett (for exactly the same reason) from Brisbane to St George it tells a complete different story.

Oh by the way I do admire him, he is obviously a genius and if we still had him maybe we'd be playing in the big dance on Sunday...but I will NEVER forgive him for the manner in which he left......never!!
Would be a great conspiracy theory except he signed for less with the Bulldogs than what Manly eventually offered him.

He signed with the dogs well before Manly came in with their better offer. We were too late as he had already committed elsewhere.

He also knew that Manly would have to rebuild and he didn't want to go through that again here. he wanted another challenge

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Genuine Thoughts about Hasler 12 months on

Hey people I got a msg from Adam Lucius from sportal.com.au

The Message
Just trying to get a handle on what Manly fans think re:Des

Very dissappointed in the whole Des saga. The Manly club must now focus on the future and come up with a strategic and operational plan that can take the team and the club to the next level. I do hope that the club is currently doing and evaluation and getting on with the job. Everything Manly does has to analysed and this should start now.

globaleagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
sean1976 said:
I think the other thing that showed his lack of character and class was coming out recently when Manly were looking good and basically telling everyone that Toovey had done well cos he hadnt changed the coaching 'structures' that he'd laid down. The guy has been comprehensively exposed as an arsehole and I wish him all the worst on sunday.
You have a link for that? Or have you just 'paraphrased' something quite different in order to put an anti-Hasler spin on it?

I read that as well. sean1976's account is accurate.

@[sean1976]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/geoff-toovey-didnt-have-to-change-much-at-manly-sea-eagles-des-hasler/story-e6frfgbo-1226464702657

weev said:
globaleagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
sean1976 said:
I think the other thing that showed his lack of character and class was coming out recently when Manly were looking good and basically telling everyone that Toovey had done well cos he hadnt changed the coaching 'structures' that he'd laid down. The guy has been comprehensively exposed as an arsehole and I wish him all the worst on sunday.
You have a link for that? Or have you just 'paraphrased' something quite different in order to put an anti-Hasler spin on it?

I read that as well. sean1976's account is accurate.

@[sean1976]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/geoff-toovey-didnt-have-to-change-much-at-manly-sea-eagles-des-hasler/story-e6frfgbo-1226464702657

"They’ve not had to change too much," Hasler said.

"Toovs is smart for doing that. He’s not had to tinker with too much or change too much.

"They’ve had a tough year. They’ve had injuries and suspensions. They’ve shown resolve and resilience to make the finals.

“They’ll be a force to be contended with.

“I told you they were the benchmark but no-one would believe me
.”

Wow, he said that? The bastard. Maybe he really is the devil.

Toovey will be judged on next year. It is true he inherited a solid platform. How many new coaches inherit the Premiers? Most inherit smoke and ruins. Come on down Matt Parrish.

tookey said:
He signed with the dogs well before Manly came in with their better offer. We were too late as he had already committed elsewhere.

He also knew that Manly would have to rebuild and he didn't want to go through that again here. he wanted another challenge

There is no evidence he had already signed.

"Des Hasler has gone from the most loved man on Sydney's northern beaches to the most hated as bitter Manly fans either jump on Melbourne's bandwagon or attempt to ignore Sunday's grand final.

The same fans who carried Hasler on their shoulders following Manly's grand final win over the Warriors 12 months ago are now lining up to wish their former hero nothing but bad luck as he attempts to guide Canterbury to the 2012 title.

They remain angry and emotional over Hasler's controversial and abrupt departure 12 months ago and are turning their backs on their former coach."

Read all the details and which posters made it in to Adam Lucius' article @ http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/hasler-disowned-by-former-devotees-200811

ManlyBacker said:
"Des Hasler has gone from the most loved man on Sydney's northern beaches to the most hated as bitter Manly fans either jump on Melbourne's bandwagon or attempt to ignore Sunday's grand final.

The same fans who carried Hasler on their shoulders following Manly's grand final win over the Warriors 12 months ago are now lining up to wish their former hero nothing but bad luck as he attempts to guide Canterbury to the 2012 title.

They remain angry and emotional over Hasler's controversial and abrupt departure 12 months ago and are turning their backs on their former coach."

Read all the details and which posters made it in to Adam Lucius' article @ http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/hasler-disowned-by-former-devotees-200811

PMSL.... At the only poster who he quotes as being supportive of Hasler. That IS gold.

Matabele said:
Toovey will be judged on next year. It is true he inherited a solid platform. How many new coaches inherit the Premiers? Most inherit smoke and ruins. Come on down Matt Parrish.

tookey said:

Maybe not actually signed but he had agreed to go to the dogs in August at the very latest and probably a lot earlier around May. There are supposedly e-mails on his laptop confirming this

I think if the Dogs win then Des will have proved without doubt that he is the best coach in the NRL. It really sux he left and did what he did. As much as I love Tooves and I'm so proud of what he did this year I think if Des was here we would probably be in the GF. He basically has the Dogs running like our Manly team last year, as they are so sharp on attack and their defence solid when
required. Des has a knack of getting the best
out of his players especially developing younger talent and reinventing outcasts. Personally I don't like the dogs and hate the Storm but I still support Des. Like SOME parents and family of a convicted murderer I absolutely hate what he DID to our team and club. However I will still support Des because of what he means to me, because since I
started supporting Manly Des had been here.
Anyway some might give me flack over this but I don't mind. Everyone is unique in supporting our team and have differing views.

I'll cut you some slack over the fact you probably meant flack, or even flak.

Well done Jax.

:cool:

Matabele said:

tookey said:

--------------------------------------------------------------
This is the email Hasler sent to Penn note the dates:

In a press release issued by his agent on Friday, Hasler denied he had breached his contract and claimed the board ''flatly rejected my proposal'' for an extension beyond 2012. However, in an email sent to Penn on August 22 under the subject line, ''Offer Next Steps'', Hasler - who had already exercised an option in his contract to remain at Brookvale for 2012 - wrote: ''… As you know, the recent negotiations have been conducted in relation to amounts of salary for the seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014.

''My salary for season 2012 is clearly not settled - that much is clear from the fact we are still negotiating about it …

''You have previously stated that I should ask you for a release. As I have said, given that the amount of salary for 2012, it is not settled upon, I don't think that I have anything from which I require a release.

''Your current 'final' offer, dated 15 August 2011 is not acceptable.

''Given the Club has not been able to formulate an acceptable offer for seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014 then I am notifying you that I intend to immediately accept employment elsewhere for 2012 and beyond.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/haslers-trail-of-carnage-split-club-20111112-1ncxn.html#ixzz27od3V1LI

We were still negotiating with him right up until the grand final week.

globaleagle said:
I'll cut you some slack over the fact you probably meant flack, or even flak.

Well done Jax.

:cool:
Cheers Globaleagle for giving me some slack for the flack lol. Fixed now :)

I hold no grudges.

We knew Des was the best coach in the business, why didn't the Manly Sea Eagles board. He should have been their number 1 priority. When Des took over from Sharp he was by far the lowest paid coach in the NRL yet he was the hardest working. He put together his coaching team, organised professional facilities, and took coaching to a new level.

The board had no right to be putting KPI's in his contract because it showed they didn't understand Des, didn't respect his ability, and worst of all they didn't appreciate that if it was not for Des's professionalism the club may not have survived those years without success. If anything, Des should have been requesting KPI's from the board, not vice versa.

If the Manly Board had clue what they were doing and had any respect for des's achievements then we wouldn't be discussing this today. Instead, Des and his team would have spent a year on the sidelines getting rusty while the dogs spent a year bonding with Dymock. It would have made Des's job a lot harder to control come 2013.

I hate the dogs, but still have respect for Des.

Christol74 said:
I hold no grudges.

We knew Des was the best coach in the business, why didn't the Manly Sea Eagles board. He should have been their number 1 priority. When Des took over from Sharp he was by far the lowest paid coach in the NRL yet he was the hardest working. He put together his coaching team, organised professional facilities, and took coaching to a new level.

The board had no right to be putting KPI's in his contract because it showed they didn't understand Des, didn't respect his ability, and worst of all they didn't appreciate that if it was not for Des's professionalism the club may not have survived those years without success. If anything, Des should have been requesting KPI's from the board, not vice versa.

If the Manly Board had clue what they were doing and had any respect for des's achievements then we wouldn't be discussing this today. Instead, Des and his team would have spent a year on the sidelines getting rusty while the dogs spent a year bonding with Dymock. It would have made Des's job a lot harder to control come 2013.

I hate the dogs, but still have respect for Des.
Ditto except I don't really hate the Dogs, well not as much as the Storm anyway

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4