Genuine Thoughts about Hasler 12 months on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It took 10 years of rebuilding to get Manly back to where we were, mid 90's and Des played a big part in that. It took him a couple of months to try to destroy Manly and put us back into the dark ages.

I do not care why he did it and which board member offended him. I do care that he cost the players and our many supporters the joy of winning the 2011 Premiership as well as taking the dynasty, built up over many years by many people and handed it over to the Dog scum.

The Premiership, if they win this year, should have been ours and this is what he took away from the loyal Manly supporters. I hate the storm but I hate Des & his Dogs even more so I hope they get thrashed.
The Manly fans did not deserve what Des did and all I got to say is "karma is a bitch Des".

Mr Krabs said:
What an ungrateful lot we are , he won us 2 comps as a player and 2 as a coach - you dont ever hear the broncos bag out wayne bennett

VERY big difference there Krabs, Bennett went "gently" and was farewell up here with a lot of style. He's still revered by the Bronco's and their supporters.

He left the coaching staff untouched, didn't try to steal a bunch of players (although his love child Daaaaaarious follows him everywhere).

It's in no way a fair comparison!!

I see him as a power freak.

His ethics are poor & loyalty is based purely to himself.

Not the best strategist in reading a game compared to Bellamy, Gould or even Sheens however, holds the most important card a coach can have, gets the players 100% committed to every battle of every game - for 80 minutes. Simple yet effective & NO other coach matches him in this department though Toovey will go close in time imo.

Finally - 12 months or 58 months, will never forgive his treatment to the Manly club who took him from reserve grade Panther to an International player , then set him up with a pretty handy roster to aid his coaching ambitions.

His ability - who can knock his results - no wonder the Dogs roll out the red carpet after the atrocious coaches that sent them spiralling downhill in recent seasons. Again has been handed a good darn roster but I doubt Dymock would have had them playing on Sunday......

I still upset that there has been no change in the club structure (board and ownership) which contributed to Des leaving.

We never should have been in a position to loose him - the mismanagement started a long time before his decision to leave. We still have the petty infighting, the leaks and general lack of professionalism which is embarrassing.

I would have hopped that the club had learnt it lessons but it does not appear this way.

stevekh said:
It took 10 years of rebuilding to get Manly back to where we were, mid 90's and Des played a big part in that. It took him a couple of months to try to destroy Manly and put us back into the dark ages.

I do not care why he did it and which board member offended him. I do care that he cost the players and our many supporters the joy of winning the 2011 Premiership as well as taking the dynasty, built up over many years by many people and handed it over to the Dog scum.

The Premiership, if they win this year, should have been ours and this is what he took away from the loyal Manly supporters. I hate the storm but I hate Des & his Dogs even more so I hope they get thrashed.
The Manly fans did not deserve what Des did and all I got to say is "karma is a bitch Des".
Re-signings last year- King, Kite, Rose, Smokin Joe

Not signed- Foz, Snake, Matai, Trex, Ballin.

Surely that should ring alarm bells that something just wasn't quite right??

Des clearly has great ability as a coach. He has proven that in the short time he has been at the Bulldogs. They are a vastly different side than they were 12 months ago.

But there are more important things in life than vocational competence.

As has already been mentioned, he was underhanded in the way he went about leaving a club that had given him so much. He actively encouraged players and staff to leave with him and these are the actions of a man with fairly low standards in my opinion.

When the approach came from the Bulldogs, he should have informed Manly what he had been offered and given them the right of reply. And if he ultimately decided that his future lay elsewhere, a man (and I use the term loosely) does not try and destroy the business he is leaving. He leaves with a good name. He leaves so that he is missed. He doesn't leave and try to dismantle what he had built while on the former employer's book. He starts at his new job with what he finds. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I find it very difficult to wish him well. Not because he left, but because he doesn't conduct himself in an honourable way.

I know others will say that I am over reacting. But the old man always said to me. Make sure you can always look at yourself in the mirror and know you did the right thing. Des can't do this.

I haven't changed my opinion of Hasler or what he did. The simple fact that he is not part of the club anymore, means we're better off. As Mark said and I agree with; it all centred around power and money. Having on field success is pointless, if the price is tolerating an individual whose ego was so out of control, it threatened the long term viability of the club.

The Sea Eagles are a very proud club and should look back on their decision to part company with Hasler, as a one of the best decisions they ever made.

Mr Krabs said:
What an ungrateful lot we are , he won us 2 comps as a player and 2 as a coach - you dont ever hear the broncos bag out wayne bennett
Hmmm. Looking at your previous posts, I could swear you are a Dogs fan.

For Tooves to come into this sh!t fight in his first year is commendable. Talk of the team regressing is very short sighted. All teams have ups and downs which you cannot control - I guess supercoach Hasler was to blame for out dismal start to 2009? That hammering against the Bulldogs in round 1 should have been the end of Hasler :rolleyes:

As for Des. Certain people in this thread have very select memories. He is not the messiah. Lets look at the numerous cases of when people wanted him out of the club (people on this forum).
- Not resigning Michael Monaghan.
- Signing Orford, who many claimed could not handle finals pressure (well he rode on the back of Lyon and the Stewy Bros).
- Picking Williamson ahead of Glenn Stewart
- Continual selection of duds like Terry Hill, Jye Mullane, Paul Stephenson. etc. etc.
- The selection of players out of position at 5/8th in 2005 which saw us lose most of the games in the 2nd half of the season. Sam Harris, really?
- Using Cuthbertson as a battering ram, when he shone in reserve grade hitting holes and popping offloads.
- Not selecting Matt Ballin until the age of 23, 24?
- Signing Chris Bailey on big money as a 5/8th.
- Signing Tony Williams on big money (will bite him at the Dogs).
- 2005 final series - out in a hammering. 2006 final series - out in a hammering. 2007 - probably the most embarrasing GF loss in our history. 2009,2010 final series embarrassments.
- Continual selection of Josh Perry when he didn't give a rats arse about playing.
- Continual selection of Jason King from 04-07 when he was making 30 metres a game.
- Choosing Hodkinson over DCE (lets face it, we would not have seen DCE if Dogs didnt go after Hodkinson).

Im sure people could add to this. He and his butt buddies over at belmore have built his ego up so much that some of us are starting to believe we cant win without him. He is a coach. Coaches will come and go.

And if I didn't make it clear, I despise the guy. A lying, scheming sack of crap. Karma will catch up to him and that slimey dog Greenberg

There are only 2 people who make the list of ex Manly players I loathe. Hasler and Ribot and if you are in the same boat as Ribot then you aren't looking too flash. Crusher Cleal is very close to going in that list as well.

I still feel betrayed by Des's actions. He led the team to win the 2011 GF. Great achievement. Then he dumped those players cold. From what I can gather none of the team had any inkling of the bombshell about to be dropped when they should have been deservedly celebrating their championship. Instead our club spiralled into a state of disarray and uncertainty.
He deceived the club, players and fans.
IMO I don't buy the theory that Manly stuffed up by letting Hasler go. It was his choice. He left. I don't wish him any luck at the dogs.
I acknowledge what he achieved at Manly. He got us two trophies which will not be forgotten but neither will the way he left us.
Go Tooves!

Pepi said:
Mr Krabs said:
Hmmm. Looking at your previous posts, I could swear you are a Dogs fan.

Ding ding ding we have a winner

Great coach, but people make more of the "turn around" at the Dogs than I believe is warranted. Dymock had them winning 6 from 7 so the Dogs had the goods already, they needed a coach to bring that out. Des has done this, but he hasn't made a diamond from dog ****.

I don't care that he left, that happens in life. It is the fact his exit lacked any class - but you just need to look at his new masters to understand it is a match made in heaven. He is given credit as being a master manipulator as a coach, but it is not recognised in the way he exited....

He had issues with the board, but tried to exact his revenge on the fans

I agree with Simon64.It is not the fact that he left(look at the Tigers with Tim Sheens leaving after 10 years) but the manner in which he left.He tried to destroy the team that he help built and leave very little for the club , the fans and the players and I will not forgive him for that.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4