Generic thread title.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Choc 'forced' out of Manly - family gutted

It reads to me that his family were not in the loop.

Watmough truly is the army of one.

A little while back he went back to manly asking to stay and that he would accept the 2 year deal ,whether he knew about hayne or that he was back-pedalling I don't know ,but good old toovey said no champ sorry your not in our future plans anymore !!!! ;)

Toovey understands business and knows no one player is bigger then the club

I think it could quite rightly be considered the absolute height of good humour if someone were to visit the eels forums and plant a seed in their feeble minds. Something along the lines of "Hayne only left because he refused to play with Watmough". "The club chose Watmough over Hayne". LOL

No. That would just make life for Choc a little harder over there I guess. He doesn't need that. I feel no animosity towards Anthony. He has sh1t in his own nest, now he'll have to make the best of it. Good luck Choc!

MANLY4LIFE said:
A little while back he went back to manly asking to stay and that he would accept the 2 year deal ,whether he knew about hayne or that he was back-pedalling I don't know ,but good old toovey said no champ sorry your not in our future plans anymore !!!! ;)

Toovey understands business and knows no one player is bigger then the club

Was this the so-called "blow-up" that happened before choc went to Thailand, I wonder?

Yeah Parra looks a lot less appealing without Hayne. I have no doubt Choc would have got cold feet when he new hayne was going but it was 2 late Toovey had already made other arrangements. To me this is a lesson all players should learn you are never irreplaceable maybe the replacements aren't up to Choc's (best) form but the club rolls on with or without you.

Mavin said:
Yeah Parra looks a lot less appealing without Hayne. I have no doubt Choc would have got cold feet when he new hayne was going but it was 2 late Toovey had already made other arrangements. To me this is a lesson all players should learn you are never irreplaceable maybe the replacements aren't up to Choc's (best) form but the club rolls on with or without you.

Parra looks a lot less appealing with Watmough

Frank said:
Mavin said:

Parra looks a lot less appealing with Watmough

Especially now his mate Arthur wants him to play fullback

I wonder if Brett will want a release now that his close friend, Choc, was forced out?

bones said:
I wonder if Brett will want a release now that his close friend, Choc, was forced out?

He has already been told he won't be released, so it's time for him to grow up and play football.

NYEagle said:
It reads to me that his family were not in the loop.

Watmough truly is the army of one.

Thats how I read it as well. He did his own thing to try and get more money from the club and bit the hand that fed him. Now he's off to paramatta to play out his career without his friends because his plan backfired and everyone close to him had no idea what he was trying to do so they're standing up for him. Moral of the story is dont crap in your food trough and you wont be left with a bad taste in your mouth.

sheridanstand78 said:
We do not need any player who openly slags off the club about his contract and the contracts of others, is a disruptive and malignant force that contributed to ruining 2014.

Choc I loved your work for this club but you have decided your future is away from here. So please just move on from this!!~

Spot on. All his "sookiness" and the dissention he caused has really backfired on him.....karma!

Mavin said:
bones said:

He has already been told he won't be released, so it's time for him to grow up and play football.
I was joking. Brett hasn't even asked for a release.

weev said:
niccipops said:
How can a man who openly asked for a release from the final year of his contract and has 'allegedly' already signed with Parra for 2016 and beyond have been forced out by the club?

What a load of it. I feel sorry for Choc's outcome because someone older/wiser and less reactive could have possibly advised him. Perhaps though, Choc wouldn't have listened.

Choc didn't play the right cards.

We must also consider the elephant in the room. Namely, one eye-watering back-ended deal. What was it for 2015? Somewhere over 900k.

Who was the architect of such a deal? And are they still at the club?

What has the "back ended" deal got to do with it?
I assume he will still be paid the 300k he was owed from previous years and manly would have happily paid him the extra 600k, plus two MORE years at 600k if he had not acted like a little bitch.

Hasler had moved on and so should you.

bones said:
Mavin said:
bones said:

I was joking. Brett hasn't even asked for a release.

Cheers Mate.

I don't have any ill feeling toward Watmough, he was probably just under advice from his manager to take the 3 year deal over the 2 year deal in 2016. As I've said in a previous post, somewhere under some other Watmough thread (sorry Stevo, I couldn't be bothered looking for all the other ones to try and trace it down), I can't see where he'd earn $600k in another profession, for the extra year that Manly were apparently not prepared to offer. It may take him 6 years or more to earn similar money.

Watmough may well have wanted to leave due to his relationship with some of the management/directors at the club or there could be a myriad of other reasons of which none of us (or at least the vast majority) are aware.

I find it strange, as claimed on this site, that he wanted to 'backflip' on his decision. If it is true, it shows major naivety on his part, if all the stories about him refusing to talk to 2V or avoiding it as much as possible are true.

I am sure most on this site are either employees who have managers or are managers of staff in one way or the other. If an employee lambasts or demonstrates poor behaviour towards his/her manager and is then perceived to try and instill similar behaviour with other employees, then, unless the manager is really poor, there is only one potential outcome... 'You've resigned and we['ve already replaced you (even if it may not be completely correct).

I wish him the best of luck and respect the effort he has put on the field every time he has played for Manly, when he was absolutely busted but refused to leave the field because he thought it would the team down and even when he had the 'WhatNow?' moments.

We'll all forget what's happened in the last couple of months and in a couple of years we'll fondly remember some of the great 'Choc' moments when he was at Manly, just as we do with Ronnie Gibbs, Bobby Fulton, Dale Shearer et al, when they left for more $.

Good luck to him and maybe, if he really didn't want to leave, he should have sought better counsel than those he relied on.

bones said:

The lurker stated today that he will be staying

Wouldn't you believe someone who got their nickname from lurking around mens toilets?

Central Coast Eagle said:
weev said:
We must also consider the elephant in the room. Namely, one eye-watering back-ended deal. What was it for 2015? Somewhere over 900k.

Who was the architect of such a deal? And are they still at the club?

What has the "back ended" deal got to do with it?
I assume he will still be paid the 300k he was owed from previous years and manly would have happily paid him the extra 600k, plus two MORE years at 600k if he had not acted like a little ....

Hasler had moved on and so should you.

In two words mate, salary cap. You suggest the club has 1.8 million dollars spare to pay Choc, whilst securing up Foran and DCE.

Rubbish. Get yourself a calculator.

tookey said:
bones said:

The lurker stated today that he will be staying

All we need now is Matty Johns and Rothfield to confirm he is staying, then we worry.

I don't think Choc is as upset as some of you believe him to be. I think his father is probably just trying to take some of the heat off his son and onto Manly. You know...beat it up to be about Manly and how poorly they treated his son after years and years of service. It sounds better than Choc kicking stones and walking away from the club for a better deal.

It was rumoured way back in June/July during the Origin period that Choc had been telling teammates at the Blues that he'd be in an Eels jumper next year, and what do you know?! This was in the pipeline long ago, and I don't think for one second Choc is sitting at home crying into his pillow. He has won two premierships at Manly, and now he gets a sea change, an extra years job security surrounded by bridges he is yet to burn.

I think he is a fool for leaving Manly, but I don't know that Choc sees it that way simply based on something his father has come out and said.

Choc is about to learn about, you reap what you sow.

No more negative headlines from you and the whinging worms will be a perfect fit for you.

and the moral of this story, No on, absolutely no one is bigger than this great club!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6