Gen Y players young, rich, selfish

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrls-new-brigade-young-rich-selfish/story-e6frexnr-1226347150040

New Brigade young, Rich, selfish
Andrew Webster

IN isolation, it wasn't the crime of the century. It never is.

Michael Jennings went out on Anzac Day with his brothers, had two alcoholic drinks while playing two-up at the Penrith RSL, then went home.

No harm done.

But Panthers coach Ivan Cleary had heard about Jennings' movements, and when he fronted him, the NSW centre could not understand what was wrong.

Two drinks, on a day when many young Sydney men would be getting home the following morning, was really nothing.

As Jennings might have pointed out, in the past he'd have stayed out all night. As he'd done before.

But the problem for Jennings was that he'd forgotten the club edict of not drinking alcohol while carrying an injury.

He'd forgotten that only last August he'd been forced to buy $44,000 worth of tickets and hand them to fans before their match against the Wests Tigers because he'd turned up to a training session the day before under the influence.

He'd forgotten that he'd been reprimanded as such because earlier in the year he'd been slugged $10,000 for drinking while rehabilitating from an injury.

He'd forgotten that Panthers general manager Phil Gould had sprayed him so much that Jennings' teammates are still talking about it.

Jennings had forgotten he was on his "last chance" and last week he'd painted Gould and Cleary into a corner. Do they sack their highest-paid player or give him another last-last-last chance?

Gould and Cleary managed to dodge the situation by reminding Jennings that he had to meet "certain obligations". Cleary says Jennings has his support. No dramas.

But why would Michael Jennings, humming along on $600,000 a year, do that? Maybe it's because he couldn't care less.

He's not alone.

There's an unspoken and unwritten problem in the game that coaches and officials and senior players will tell you about privately but dare not speak publicly.

As one NRL coach said to me recently: "I've never known a group of players to be so selfish. It's not about the team, it's about themselves. What's in it for me? What can I get out of the game? When I played, the team and my teammates were everything."

It goes beyond the tattoos and Twitter. You can finger it as a "Gen Y" issue, but you can't pigeonhole an entire generation. Young blokes have always been young blokes.

But coaches and players certainly talk about this present generation - not all, of course - of players as one different to the past.

The problem is, coaches are beholden to them. Because as Whitney Houston might have said, they are the future.

"Players are different, because we're allowing them to be different," says former hardman Gorden Tallis. "They can be different for 18 hours of the day. For the six hours they are with you, they have to fit in with you. I don't care how different they are: I don't care what he owns, what tattoos he wears.

"If you've got a great culture, it doesn't matter.

"If they don't fit in, you find someone else that fits in. You can't cheapen your culture."

It is not isolated to rugby league.

Wallabies superstar James O'Connor typified a growing mindset when he described himself as a "brand". Quade Cooper only signs one-year deals because it "motivates" him. To play for his country.

Meanwhile his Twitter feed resembles a blue-light disco.

Last year, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans brushed aside senior players to usher in a new generation, and boasted as much. The result was a World Cup car crash.

There's a yarn doing the rounds in rugby circles about a Melbourne Rebels star leaving jaws agape over his attitude at a team meeting a month ago.

During a team talk about strategy, a senior Rebel was talking about team strategy when the young fella told him to "shut up" and took over.

"I don't remember ever questioning a coach," says Brad Fittler, who had seen the emerging trend of Gen Y while coaching the Roosters.

"They do now. If you don't listen, the player might leave."

To that end, the player manager has become all-powerful. Footballers are "assets", and they snap them up in their early teens and farm them out to the clubs and coaches with whom them are aligned.

If their player becomes unhappy, the manager threatens to take the him elsewhere.

When Gavin Orr, the manager of Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, asked for a release for the Dally M Rookie of the Year earlier this year, the issue reverberated with the Sea Eagles' senior playing group.

They took it upon themselves to make it very clear to Cherry-Evans they had worked for years to earn decent money. Says one senior player: "And here he was asking for the world - after one!"

Mastercoach Wayne Bennett has regularly dismissed the Generation Y theory, saying it is not an issue for him. He treats them all the same.

(Indeed, the spray the 62-year-old is said to have given the Knights players before their match against the Panthers shocked seasoned veterans in the dressing room).

Roosters coach Brian Smith has been coaching for almost as long as Bennett, and he offers this: "It's a challenge to deal with but in some ways the old greybeards have an advantage. The people who notice it the most are the ones who haven't been through it before. Some of us have been through it a couple of times. In our place, the younger blokes are as sensitive to and aware of the team's responsibilities as any of the older players."

Yet the young coach can't afford to be unpopular.

He often doesn't have the luxury of sacking their Next Big Thing.

Says Fittler, who had lost the playing group after losing support from above: "You can lose your job very quickly."

Smith - like many coaches - does believe the brashness and confidence of the present generation shows on the field.

The trend of high scores and a disregard for defence in the under-20s competition is starting to manifest itself in the NRL as the generational change begins.

Maybe Jarryd Hayne - the pin-up boy for Gen Y footballers - led the charge.

The Eels fullback makes about $1 million a year and looks like the best player in the world one minute, uninterested the next.

He tells others he is injured, but then says he is not. He does very little against the Wests Tigers, then effortlessly gets past four defenders to score. He turns up to a recovery session an hour late, says the team is playing in "fear", and then has his teammates deny it.

You sense Stephen Kearney is staring at the ceiling at night, wondering how to unlock the Hayne Plane, just as his predecessor Daniel Anderson did.

"He's a bloke under enormous pressure," says Anderson of Hayne.

"He's not aloof. He's got that many strains and pressure and expectations on him. He's very high-profile.

"He's said to me that kids around the neighbourhood are knocking on his door. He's got to be wary of his people on the affect outside. In Parramatta, I didn't find many who were Gen Y."

Maybe we've got it all wrong. As one prominent NRL coach, who declines to be named, says: "The older they get, the more self-centred and less club-orientated. They expect everything for nothing, and they won't do anything for nothing. Younger blokes are grateful for their opportunity. They don't expect people to fall at their feet to do everything for them."

And maybe coaches need to start dealing with the young player like they once did.

A decade ago, when Gould was coaching the Roosters, a frustrated youngster approached him about not getting enough game-time.

"I'm sick of coming off the bench," the player said.

"I want to start."

"Do you, mate?" said Gould. "When do you want to do this?"

"This weekend," the player said.

"No worries," said Gould.

When the teams were released, the player was shocked to see he was indeed starting. For Newtown. The Roosters' feeder club.

Will Webster get any interviews from younger players ever again lol ?

And that article could have been written by Matabele couldnt it.

Just the bit on our players Duck Creek on 2gb continuous call told Hadley there are apparently a few manly players who have agreed to stay but a scared of telling des they are staying and not joining him at belmore interesting.

Also a rumour about a current nrl player and a tv exec having a secret same sex affair

Ahh, a good old fashioned Gen Y whinge.

Fact is, every generation thinks the generation following them will end up destroying the world.

Cameron said:
Just the bit on our players Duck Creek on 2gb continuous call told Hadley there are apparently a few manly players who have agreed to stay but a scared of telling des they are staying and not joining him at belmore interesting.

Also a rumour about a current nrl player and a tv exec having a secret same sex affair

Cronk and Hartigan?

Volley said:

Fact is, every generation thinks the generation following them will end up destroying the world.
Gotta agree I have worked alot with gen y and it comes down to how you manage them, if you set clear expectations, take a coaching approach to constructive feed and follow thru with consequences for non compilence they are fine. But then again the kids I deal with are getting paid 7 - 18 bucks an hour not 100k

Volley said:

Cameron said:

Cronk and Hartigan?

No mate hartigan has retired from news ltd. I will say this though as a practicing hetrosexual I would have sex with a man before id have sex with John Hartigans partner.

Can't be easy dealing with some of these situations as a coach or administartor. From the outside it seems like we have a pretty level headed player group and good "culture". Foran, DCE, Buhrer, etc all seem pretty decent young guys, and by the sounds of the above article that's probably to do with the senior group. Guys like Killer, Gift, Kite, Matai seem like the sort of guys who wouldn't take themselves too seriously and would respect the "team before self" philosophy, and sounds like they demand the same from the younger guys. Credit must also be given to Des for fostering this "no dickhead" policy.

We shouldn't underestimate the amount of blame that can be apportioned to the grubby player managers for this problem. These guys are supposed to be mentoring and helping these young men grow as humans, but instead they are in the main only interested in feathering their own nest. Where do you think players get these ideas about them being a "brand" and a "commodity", about there being a "me" in team ??Having said that, some of these young players need to take responsibility for what they let their managers get away with in their name.

I'm proud of our player group, not a Hayne type among them it seems, so long may that culture continue. It's little wonder we haven't had any trouble retaining players in such an environment. Well done to Manly.

Volley said:

Cameron said:

Cronk and Hartigan?

I hear it was a commentator and player. Slater and rabs. I hear it will be announced on Friday

no no no no no.... I was thinking more like the whole 9 commentary and Benji Marshall...one big daisy chain

The ch9 executive would probably want to be able to go out on a date with the player most Saturday nights so I'm guessing it's a Bronco player.

I think the baby boomers said that about generation x.

Mozart was considered a rebel too.

That said, gen y are lazy no hopers.

the tv show 'talking about your generation' has taught us you're all idiots.

Stereotypes rule! Wooooo!

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)......W-w-w-well I s-spose that just about c-c-c-covers it.

More trash from the trashy tabloid

Sloppy, lazy, journalism

Where is the balance? Nameless "sources" in an article designed to stir a response

I feel dirty even having read it

Article is true. These young kids think the world revolves around them. Yeah, Foran re-signed, but his procrastination had a ripple affect throughout our playing group.

Also, hearing he had half his heart here, half with Des says to me he wasn't totally committed to us.

That's where I start losing interest.

At least DCE came out and said he never wanted to go to The Bronco's. I also find it funny they are losing players like Teo, Beale and co. due to the cap, yet before they signed elsewhere, DCE's manager was stating they were making a huge money offer at him.

Also, recently, we have lost guys like Robertson, Rodney, Wearra-Hargreaves, Tasi, Hopoate, Hodkinson etc etc etc.

If people don't think we have cap to spend to re-sign our players, then they are kidding themselves. We have cap space, and then some.

Not reading the article.

But while ever clubs pander to the players bad attitudes will prevail. Instead of bending over backwards to meet every stupid demand put forward by managers the clubs should make an offer. if the players dont like it, tell hem to move on.

Under the current climate not one player will ever accept any first offer, because they know, providing they have some real playing ability, a better offer will be tabled at the next meeting.

I think coaches are worse, well ours was.

bob dylan said:
Not reading the article.

But while ever clubs pander to the players bad attitudes will prevail. Instead of bending over backwards to meet every stupid demand put forward by managers the clubs should make an offer. if the players dont like it, tell hem to move on.

Under the current climate not one player will ever accept any first offer, because they know, providing they have some real playing ability, a better offer will be tabled at the next meeting.

I think coaches are worse, well ours was.

Obviously, I don't know any of the details, but what I read into the Foran saga:-

1. He demanded that Liam Foran be signed by us (which I think is good thing mind you, I totally rate the kid);
2. He demanded Andrew Johns be signed on as a halves coach;
3. He demanded Matt Orford be signed on as a halves coach;
4. He wanted his manager to play the whole thing out in the media;
5. He wanted the club to say nothing about anything;
6. He openly said he was considering leaving.

I'm sorry, but he was accomodated in many, many area's, and still thought he was above the rest of the team, and the brand.

This is my opinion - he is a wonderful, wonderful player, but a self indulged, selfish little bastard.

In my opinion, we need players wanting to commit whole-heartedly, and without question to our club. Look at Cooper Cronk's negotiation. It was clear all the way through that his heart, loyalty and passion was with his fellow team-mates, coaches and club.

Sorry guys, I know that's harsh, and again, I don't question his playing ability. But FFS, just get on with the job.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8