Gaz GOOONE?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My only concern is that St George are now able to pay him the rest of his contract and not be penalized... if they do it will basically set up a road map for anyone reaching the end of their playing life, agree to a huge back-ended contract, retire half way and then take up non jobs for the club resulting in pay equal to what you would be owed.

If he gets a job at the club as an assistant coach, or a media manager or some other such thing then the NRL should be checking his salary to make sure it isn't equal to what he would have got by playing.

^ Clubs can do this anyway, the NRL can't do jack if the club & player make agreements for the player post-retirement.

The Dragons can do it, we can do it, the whole league can do it. It's not a groundbreaking idea or anything, not to mention that trying to police it would be nigh impossible. Personally I don't get what all the furore is about, it's not a massive deal TBH.

Wolfpack said:
Eeh, it's a loophole, they haven't done anything wrong. I despise the Steelers as much as any rational person but they haven't really broken the rules here, no need to punish teams for the NRL not covering their bases.

Sucks for Gasnier that his manager wasn't smart enough to get any of the final two year's salary guaranteed.
I'm not blaming the dragons , it's the NRL. The salary cap is meant to even the competition out. Adding another international to the best team in the comp by back ending his contract doesn't help even the competition out.

bones said:
Wolfpack said:
Eeh, it's a loophole, they haven't done anything wrong. I despise the Steelers as much as any rational person but they haven't really broken the rules here, no need to punish teams for the NRL not covering their bases.

Sucks for Gasnier that his manager wasn't smart enough to get any of the final two year's salary guaranteed.
I'm not blaming the dragons , it's the NRL. The salary cap is meant to even the competition out. Adding another international to the best team in the comp by back ending his contract doesn't help even the competition out.

Fair call.

The problem I see is how would the NRL police this area. If a player is willing to give up their career the NRL can't exactly force him to keep playing.

Wolfpack said:
bones said:
Wolfpack said:

Fair call.

The problem I see is how would the NRL police this area. If a player is willing to give up their career the NRL can't exactly force him to keep playing.

Get rid of back ended deals. Gasnier signed a four year deal. Each of those four years should have had the same amount included in the cap. If he signed for a million dollars over 4 years then 250k should be included in each of the four years caps. Then it wouldn't matter that he retired, he was still included at what he is worth for the time he was there. Manly did it when they signed Orford as well and it's wrong. If the salary cap is 4.3 mil then each team is meant to have 4.3 mil worth of talent. Not extra because they back end a deal.

bones said:
Wolfpack said:
bones said:
Wolfpack said:

Fair call.

Get rid of back ended deals. Gasnier signed a four year deal. Each of those four years should have had the same amount included in the cap. If he signed for a million dollars over 4 years then 250k should be included in each of the four years caps. Then it wouldn't matter that he retired, he was still included at what he is worth for the time he was there. Manly did it when they signed Orford as well and it's wrong. If the salary cap is 4.3 mil then each team is meant to have 4.3 mil worth of talent. Not extra because they back end a deal.

Agreed and that is basically what I said in replies 34 & 36 to this thread.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea but I don't think that the league needs it either. Smart clubs can take the advantage & get ahead through smart contract negotiations while poor (mentally, not financially) clubs will struggle.

If Watmough were at the end of his career& he agreed to play for a year or two at 55k pa if he were to get a job in the organization upon retiring you wouldn't find many on here who would say no.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4