GAME DAY - Manly v Storm [Round 8, 2015]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I agree it's slim pickings but we have nothing 2 lose give Chee-Kam, Andrews,Vave and leary at least a go no one is pretending they are world beaters but we are hardly on fire at the moment.

What do we or Toovey have 2 lose?

Chee-Kam and Leary, yeah I will agree they are options but who over. Lets face it Chee-Kam has been hammered on here for doing nothing and all of sudden he should be given a shot. Personally, I would like to see him given a go just for the fact he had so much hype about him 2 or so years back. Not sure who Leary is better than who is in the 17. I am assuming Hasson is not picked and Hodges gets a run. Andrews is ordinary if you ask me from what I have seen and Vave, well he is big, and looks pudgy. I guess I am not one that would make changes for the sake of it when there is no better alternative. I also like to think the coaching staff have more idea than me on who is better placed to do the job over others. If we were losing and had close to a full roster available I would be with most on here but lets face it the guys that are not getting picked are probably either not up to it or not ready yet. Many here are calling for player x and player to be included without having even seen them play this year.

Some players can improve by just playing with good players. It is nearly time to start clutching at straws.

Chee-Kam and Leary, yeah I will agree they are options but who over. Lets face it Chee-Kam has been hammered on here for doing nothing and all of sudden he should be given a shot. Personally, I would like to see him given a go just for the fact he had so much hype about him 2 or so years back. Not sure who Leary is better than who is in the 17. I am assuming Hasson is not picked and Hodges gets a run. Andrews is ordinary if you ask me from what I have seen and Vave, well he is big, and looks pudgy. I guess I am not one that would make changes for the sake of it when there is no better alternative. I also like to think the coaching staff have more idea than me on who is better placed to do the job over others. If we were losing and had close to a full roster available I would be with most on here but lets face it the guys that are not getting picked are probably either not up to it or not ready yet. Many here are calling for player x and player to be included without having even seen them play this year.

I don't want them all given a run at once but I would give Vave a run in place of burgess and Chee Kam a run in the centres with lyon out.

I noticed he has been playing centre in NSW cup and also played some as a junior and can't be any worse than Williame.

I

Chee kam has no off the ball work. The last thing we need is someone who only does work when the ball is handed to him. With our compressed defence we need someone out there which will want to work hard.

Since when is Chee Kam a centre??
Before the season Tooves said he was going to use him as a middle forward.
lol... No wonder we're a rabble ATM.

Since when is Chee Kam a centre??
Before the season Tooves said he was going to use him as a middle forward.
lol... No wonder we're a rabble ATM.
He actually played plenty of centre in Canberra in the U20s, so it is a familiar position for him. I don't know if he has the speed anymore though (as he seems to have more of a forwards build than he did before he came over to us).

You're both soft.

For a start you dont know who is going to actually take the field so your 2V pessimism is premature.

And secondly, sack tooves for what ? To be a sacrifical lamb because we had a combination of a massive injury toll, combined with dissension in the ranks over an issue borne from the front office.

And thirdly this is precisely the time to stick with 2V. If we are going to rebuild and rebuild with Bozo working behind the scenes this is the time to maintain the head of coaching to provide an incumbent leader, working to an existing platform for the new blood coming through.

The only argument that anyone could have right now for dumping 2V is with the proposition that he cannot coach a 1st grade team. He has already done well prior to this horrendous situation, so I contend you cant make that call.

Sacking 2V is the type of lilly livid gesture made to appease the unwashed, by insipid & weak leadership. The Manly club doesn't deserve that.
Bit of an over-the-top response to two people offering an opinion on Toovey - especially when neither were rude or disrespectful in what they said.

The facts are that none of us are in the playing group, or on the coaching staff, so none of us know how Toovs operates, whether he has man management strengths/weaknesses, technical strengths or limitations, motivational skills or a lack thereof.

What we can look to are on field performances, general attitude and effort from players etc. It is clear we are performing poorly in these areas - both this year, and at the back-end of last year. Yes, we have injuries which has equated to a less experienced and probably less skilled side, but that doesn't account for a lack of discipline, focus, effort and attitude on the field. It is the coach's job to address this, and so far, it hasn't been. We are also seeing the same deficiences in defence each week, especially on the edges - coaching plays a role here, not just attitudinally but structurely.

In terms of Toovey's coaching history, he did inherit a great side that still had a few strong years left in it - that is fact, and yes, he still had a job to do as coach. How much of it came down to his coaching ability v the existing roster, systems, plays etc - who knows? Ricky Stuart is an example (IMO) as someone who inherited a top side and won a comp with them, and has been ordinary ever since - it happens.

There are suggestions that not all players are on board with Toovey, we know for fact Watmough (tool or not) was not a fan, and I think it is reasonable to assume he is not alone. So, it is fair to say that there are issues that do come down to Toovey, and areas, such as injury and politics that are out of his control. Whether he is the man for the job or not moving forward - I have my doubts, but without an appropriate replacement, it could end up making things worse.

My thoughts are that Toovey should be kept for the remainder of the year to see how he navigates through this tough time - if he is able to ignite some passion, pride and attitude in the team which translates to onfield performances that we can be proud of - then great, if not, serious questions should and will be asked with all factors duly considered.

I agree it's slim pickings but we have nothing 2 lose give Chee-Kam, Andrews,Vave and leary at least a go no one is pretending they are world beaters but we are hardly on fire at the moment.

What do we or Toovey have 2 lose?
They certainly couldn't go any worst. Leary would add something defensively, we certainly need that.

What is over the top or rude or disrespectful in what I posted ?
Calling them both soft isn't exactly a compliment; then the inference is that their opinions re Toovey are in line with "the type of lilly livid gesture made to appease the unwashed, by insipid & weak leadership". Just saying...:)

Calling them both soft isn't exactly a compliment; then the inference is that their opinions re Toovey are in line with "the type of lilly livid gesture made to appease the unwashed, by insipid & weak leadership". Just saying...:)

I am quite sure that Wheel & MFB who have also posted here for years will take issue with me if they are offended at my comment "your soft"

Somehow I seriously doubt it though

How do you reckon we'll considering the training grounds are probably flooded? Can't really work on much indoors. Don't know if that is a good or bad thing...

Chee kam has no off the ball work. The last thing we need is someone who only does work when the ball is handed to him. With our compressed defence we need someone out there which will want to work hard.

"Work hard" is not exactly thick on the ground in our 1st's team.

Hasson in for Hodges :lipssealed:
Wiliame STILL in the team (guess there isn't much choice with Snake, Jorge, Killer and Tom T out injured).

I still think we can win against Melbourne, though I'd rather play Foran in the centres, Ferris at 5/8 and keep Hodges on the bench. Or alternatively just play T-red in the centres all game (not ideal, but an option) and again keep Hodges on the bench.

Hasson....give me strength :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

If this team is confirmed on game day I'm not going to bother watching. I wish Toovey would try something different. We know Blair, Wiliame and Hasson bring nothing so why trot them out there??

With this tropical cyclone like conditions continuing till Thursday, Manly need to go to Melbourne to get some training @:cool:

Still don't get why there will be 5 games on Saturday :confused:

One thing I will say.....

I'm glad this game is in Melbourne. Playing at Brookie this week with the way the weather currently is wouldn't be pleasant.

For those of you here who are in NSW with this storm right now I hope you're all ok.

I hope my elderly aunt is ok. She lives in Cromer at the bottom of a hill with a creek at the bottom of her back yard.

Last edited:
Given our current predicament , and given we are likely to be losing matches until we can get a relatively full strength side on the paddock, I'd like to see maybe one of the lesser players given a run every game.

Yes I'm not on the coaching staff, and perhaps Leary or Vave for example don't offer more than Hasson but how do you really find that out unless you play them.

We have nothing to lose , if it was a finals series naturally you'd play your best 17, but in the position we are in why not dare to be different.

Penrith, for another example have much the same issues as we do with inuries, now I'm certainly aware their depth is better than ours but they are giving their young players a run. It worked against us and didn't v the Titans but they sure were in the Titans game up to minute 72 when it all fell apart for them.

Those young players are getting valuable top grade minutes and showing their credentials.

The one issue we don't know is how this affects our cap, maybe they don't have a choice but to play the choices they have made.

I make this comment having never played a game of Rugby League in my life (girly swot). For all those calling for more and more changes, surely with the number of injuries we've has this year, combinations are vital. It must be important for each guy to know what the one next to him is going to do in both arrack and defence. No?
I would have thought that's why Tooves is sticking with some players. Because why replace someone with someone not muchc better when at least they'd been familiarising themselves with the team and its play?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4