Gallop. What does he offer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
A leader of a business should have certain traits: vision, decisiveness, charisma, humility, good communication skills, the ability to inspire, courage to admit mistakes. Gallop has none of these.
As the face of the most exciting sport in the world, the leader also should look and sound vibrant, healthy, happy, media literate, be a people-person and have a sense of humour. Again, Gallop has none of these.
What Gallop has is a good work ethic, and is obviously smart. If he was to hold any job in the NRL it should be as a backroom boy/faceless man going about his business away from the glare of the public and the media.
I believe Gallop is totally unsuited to his current role. He looks terrible, sounds likes he’s in pain, and IMO turns people off. I liken him to a funeral director. – a grey man devoid of joy where even if he and you were the only two people at a function you’d avoid having to converse.
Every time he appears a black cloud descends and sucks the lifeblood out of game.

The Who, who would you have as CEO?

I have always said Ben Elias would be a great CEO. He has that mongrel in him. He has a dislike of the other sports and a "passion" for League. He has the smarts and the businees knowledge to run the NRL. He has the contacts in the big end of town. He has actually played the sport at the top level and knows what it is about. I think he is the perfect fit.

I do not want to get into a 'I hate Gallop" thread but 10 years in the job is enough and time for somebody to take over.

eagleE said:
The Who, who would you have as CEO?

I have always said Ben Elias would be a great CEO. He has that mongrel in him. He has a dislike of the other sports and a "passion" for League. He has the smarts and the businees knowledge to run the NRL. He has the contacts in the big end of town. He has actually played the sport at the top level and knows what it is about. I think he is the perfect fit.

I do not want to get into a 'I hate Gallop" thread but 10 years in the job is enough and time for somebody to take over.

Yes, someone like Ben Elias who has business acumen, media experience and has played the game would be ideal. Hard to find all that in the one person.
I think Gus Gould would be good. He'd alienate quite a few people but he is a free-thinker and has great passion and insight.
I really like Petro Civenaciva (sic), but he doesn't have the business experience yet.
What about Beaver? He has it all!
There are some club CEO's who could also be OK. All I know is that the NRL deserves better than 'The Undertaker'.

What the hell would Benny Elias bring to theNRL. He has made his mark off his family fortunes and is a friend of max delmege...Great credentials for a role of this stature. It is an "independant commission" not a Elias ego commission.
Benny, in my opinion, is a goose.

Do we have someone the equivalent of Andrew Demetriou. I know it's not a very good game, but they sure do run it well.

That job would attract a bevy of applicants....big money, high profile....it would be hotly contested!!

Past players....no
Current CEO's...no

A new fresh face with no baggage....yes

He (or she) doesn't even have to have a past association with the game....all they have to be is smart, savvy, approachable and a good listener.

OH and they have to be able to say "sorry I got that wrong"

Mark from Brisbane said:
OH and they have to be able to say "sorry I got that wrong"

...or, when an issue does arise, make sure you obtain ALL the facts, take time to go through it thoroughly and objectively to make a clear, well-considered and transparent ruling. Then apply the same approach to all future issues to achieve consistency. Then you'll find you won't have to say "sorry I got that wrong" too often.

What about Graham Hughes? A past player , yes, but has run successful businesses and is skilled in the media. He looks and sounds good, and while he has former ties to Canterbury he seems to be even-handed.

I was beginning to like this thread until I read the name Elias. Have a look at the former Tigers club, the mess that is the fishmarkets and tell me he knows what he'd doing. he's an ex-footballer looking at the next thing he can suck dry. Gould is a bitter old man and Hughes is just a voice on the telle/radio really. The job needs to have a wide search for a CEO based on criteria that the Commission comes up with. Gallop could apply, but the process must be competitive, not as it is, a job for News Ltd flotsam

DSM5 said:
I was beginning to like this thread until I read the name Elias. Have a look at the former Tigers club, the mess that is the fishmarkets and tell me he knows what he'd doing. he's an ex-footballer looking at the next thing he can suck dry. Gould is a bitter old man and Hughes is just a voice on the telle/radio really. The job needs to have a wide search for a CEO based on criteria that the Commission comes up with. Gallop could apply, but the process must be competitive, not as it is, a job for News Ltd flotsam

Agree once again with DSM. When clubs have moved away from appointing ex-players as CEOs, why would the board of the IC plot a reverse course, unless he had excellent credentials and a proven track record in that area? The only ex-player with the street cred for the job is Dan Quayle's cousin John Quayle. Unfortunately he is completely unacceptable to News Ltd.

Gallop can try and plead minor error in wording, but the plea is hollow and easily seen through. No matter how you look at it he has clearly revealed:
1. His distaste and contempt of passion
2. His disrespect and contempt of fans
3. His disrespect of clubs
4. His inability to handle disapproval due to his out of control and fragile ego.
5. He is totally and irreparably out of touch with fans and clubs
6. His underlying belief that fans who boo him are effectively terrorists.

We have never before had an administrator before who did not understand and welcome passion, the tribal passion, or who could not handle being soundly booed.

The game is built on passion. Passion is its foundations. Gallop is systematically eating away at the very foundations of the game with his heartless, soulless, lawyer stance on every issue.

Gallop's stance of repeatedly looking for fights with clubs is born of his training in adversarial courtroom battles, and that's where he belongs.

Square peg. Round hole.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4