Gallen Wants Out of Sharks - Talking to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
But he would help get the forwards moving forward.  If he contributes that way then I am all for his signing for 1 year. 

Duff link said:
Great. Thurston & Gallen. Why not go after Slater too?

Don't we have some sort of policy on buying certain players?  I think I'll ask my good friend "Richard Cranium" if he remembers it.

I don't know why Gallen is peeved off with the sharks. He must think it's ok to racially abuse someone and pee whereever he wants. He's done the crime and should wear the punishment. BTW Do you think the sharks would let him go? Don't think so.

Re-signing choc and Glenn Stewart are the club's priorities at the moment before even considering signing Gallen.  

Besides I doubt that the sharks would let him go with two years still to run on his current contract.  

That would leave them with Cuthbo as their starting second rower if gallen left.  

The Wheel link said:
Dont forget we chased him pretty hard a couple of years ago, Des must rate him highly - if he came over then he would have picked up a premiership. 

Maybe he realises the Sharks will never, ever win a trophy and wants to come to a club that actually has a trophy room.

Guess it rules out him signing in the future for the central coast bears.

Cronulla has expressed surprise at a report that controversial star Paul Gallen wants to quit the Sharks and join another NRL club.

Cronulla chief executive Richard Fisk issued a statement on Tuesday stressing that former skipper Gallen was "an integral part of the club's plans" for the length of his contract until the end of 2011.

It followed a Daily Telegraph report that Gallen was aggrieved after his latest disciplinary fine from the club last week and approaches had been made on his behalf to Wests Tigers and Manly about joining them in 2010.

"I am aware that Paul was disappointed to be fined for his most recent off-field indiscretion, but having spoken to him and his manager on several occasions I am surprised to read today's story," said Fisk.

"These discussions covered a variety of issues in relation to Paul's on-going career at the Sharks and no official request for a release has been received by the club."

Gallen was fined $10,000 last week for urinating in public, that penalty coming after the fiery Test forward was stripped of the captaincy and fined $10,000 for a racial slur earlier this year.

The Telegraph said Gallen had told friends he no longer felt inclined to return to Sharks training which resumes on January 11 after the Christmas break.

It said Manly and Wests Tigers had both shown interest, with Manly best placed to attract Gallen, if available, after Matt Orford's $250,000 contract extension talks collapsed last month.

I'm an unashamed gallen fan.

Racist remarks from him I don't like but this bloke can play football. He plays hard too which I like.

I'd sign him in a second on the proviso that choc and gifty aren''t going anywhere.

Can you imagine our penalty count with Choc and Gallen on the field?  Not to mention the need to install urinals all around Manly to keep the bloke on the field.

Brisbane Broncos have signalled their interest in Cronulla enforcer Paul Gallen amid speculation the Australia forward is unhappy and wants out of the Sharks next season.

A Sydney newspaper reported on Tuesday that Gallen was aggrieved after his latest disciplinary fine from the club last week and approaches had been made on his behalf to rival NRL clubs.

“We'd be really interested in sitting down and having a talk with him,” Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak told AAP on Tuesday just before the Sharks issued a statement expressing surprise at the newspaper report.

“He's the type of player who would fit into our forward pack.

“He'd certainly bring a bit of an aura and some presence with him.''

Gallen is understood to be upset over his latest $10,000 fine, for urinating in public.

The report said his manager David Riolo had held secret talks with Wests Tigers and Manly about the possibility of him joining them in 2010.

“I don't really want to comment on the report, I am on holidays,” Riolo said when contacted by AAP.

“Paul has a contract for 2010 and I can't see the Sharks letting him go.”

Brisbane fired off an email to Riolo on Tuesday saying they would like to talk to Gallen if the reports were correct.

“If he is interested in coming to the Broncos, we'd be very interested in talking to him,” said Henjak.

“I don't think his recent off-field incidents would stop any club from wanting him.

“In a good culture and the right environment like the Broncos, I think he would thrive.

“I'm sure he would be a great player here and contribute to our club but at this stage we haven't spoken to him.”

The rugged State of Origin and Test back-rower was stripped of the Sharks captaincy and fined $10,000 earlier this year over a racial slur.

It's understood he was bitterly disappointed to be slapped with the latest fine, half of which was suspended, and has reportedly told friends he has lost the desire to resume training with the Sharks next month.

Cronulla officials reacted to the bombshell by releasing a statement on Tuesday which declared their former skipper was “an integral part of the club's plans” for the length of his contract, which runs until the end of 2011.

“I am aware that Paul was disappointed to be fined for his most recent off-field indiscretion, but having spoken to him and his manager on several occasions I am surprised to read today's story,” said Sharks chief executive Richard Fisk.

“These discussions covered a variety of issues in relation to Paul's on-going career at the Sharks and no official request for a release has been received by the club.”

While Manly have the money following the departure of Matt Orford, they would be reluctant to do anything to jeopardise efforts to re-sign representative back-rowers Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart.

I have been a fan since 1965 and regularly read the Manly forums. I have never posted before as never felt strongly enough to do so .. until the Gallen issue was raised. He is a great player but to be avoided like the plague .. Choc and Matai cause me enough grief why bring in more players that do things "on the edge". At Cronulla Gallen is still THE leader but on the wrong side of the new management. Over the years he has been in more trouble then Speed Gordon (OK I"M old). At 28 he is not going to change. If he must move .. go O/S and join one of the naughty boys teams .. but what ever we do ..please do not have him at Manly

Gallen must have a get out clause in his contract in his favour, otherwise why wouldn't the sharks make him honour that contract.

Ricky Stuart no longer has any influence now that he isn't the Aussie coach. Players who went there looking for a leg up into rep teams are jumping ship for one reason or another. Wonder how Tupou is feeling knowing that he could have come to Manly? Gallen was chased in 2007 as well. Would have won a comp at Manly. If I was a star player, I would make sure that if I really wanted to win a comp early in my career, I would head to the Storm, Dogs, Broncos and even Manly again now! Going by recent history, not including the years 99-04 for Manly, the Dogs and the Eagles should win one every 6-8 years, the Broncs every 3/4 years and the Storm, well, they show no signs of slacking off in the forseeable future...

The Manly Daily understands the Sea Eagles do not have a single dollar to offer any new players for next year.

The Daily understands Manly’s coaching staff are not interested in the controversial Kangaroo backrower.

Stand-in Sea Eagles CEO Wayne Honeywood said the club cannot afford any more players next season, with the focus squarely on retaining the likes of Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart and Kieran Foran who are all off contract at the end of next winter.

The West Tigers must have employed a new accountant judging by their signing spree

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4