Gallen Wants Out of Sharks - Talking to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Nearly choked on my nightcap. Tuesday Telegraph reports that Gallen wants out of Sharks immediately and is talking to Wests and Manly. With Orford gone, Manly may have room in the cap it says, even though Gallen has a year of his contract to run.

We've got enough backrowers, and I don't think I could really cop Gallen playing in the Maroon and White anyway.....dirty grub

If we've got some spare cash laying around we should be throwing it at the first decent centre or five eighth that comes onto the market.

Chip & Chase link said:
We've got enough backrowers, and I don't think I could really cop Gallen playing in the Maroon and White anyway.....dirty grub

If we've got some spare cash laying around we should be throwing it at the first decent centre or five eighth that comes onto the market.

Gallen would make a pretty decent centre or five eighth.  As well as a pretty indecent one.

Gallen was impressive in the World Cup. If he can just play footie and forget the rubbish he is going ok, but that is a huge if. He just keeps reoffending both on and off the field. Pass.

Sign him, could be good value for us at the right price, could it also mean that Gift could play 5/8 & Jamie stays at centre?

One thing about Gallen is that at least he would have go 100% of the time unlike some of our other star forwards in 2009.

Gallen, a big turn off for member recruitment, especially women.  He's a total scum dog.  Look at the record.   

If we have some spare cash I would take him for 12 months.  Also gives us some cover if Choc did decide to leave us.  I agree he is a total d!ck but the fact is he can play footy and thats what we are about.

So this doesn't start a new topic i'll post it here:

CRONULLA star Paul Gallen wants to quit the Sharks - and he has begun secret negotiations with Wests Tigers and Manly.

In a bombshell that will rock Cronulla's off-season, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Gallen is looking to play elsewhere in 2010 because he feels aggrieved by the club's hardline response to his on and off-field indiscretions.

After being stripped of the captaincy and fined $10,000 for a racial slur earlier this year, the aggressive international was last week slugged a further $10,000 for urinating in public.

Although half the latest penalty was suspended, Gallen is privately fuming and has told friends he no longer feels inclined to return to Sharks training after the Christmas break.

Despite having a further two years to run on his current deal, the 28-year-old now wants out immediately.

In the week since the fine was imposed, approaches have been made on Gallen's behalf to the Tigers and Sea Eagles. Both clubs have shown interest in poaching the firebrand back-rower - provided they can accommodate him under their 2010 salary cap. Manly would appear to be in the box seat after Matt Orford's $250,000 contract extension talks collapsed last month.

The Sea Eagles could use that money to lure Gallen to the peninsula, where he would complete the NRL's most formidable back-row alongside Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart.

But stand-in CEO Wayne Honeywood last night said the preliminary talks only related to 2011.

"We've got two high-profile back-rowers (Watmough and Stewart) coming off contract and we wouldn't want to jeopardise that," Honeywood said.

The Tigers have less space after embarking on a 2010 recruitment blitz, which will soon include dual international Lote Tuqiri.

Wests CEO Steve Humphreys confirmed an approach had been made to his club, but declined to comment further on the matter.

Few, if any, of Cronulla's administrators know of the depth of their former captain's discontent.

Just three months shy of kicking off his 10th season at the Sharks, Gallen feels damning public comments from several Sharks officials don't befit his commitment to the black, white and blue.

The obvious sticking point for Gallen moving on is the fact he's contracted to Cronulla until the end of 2011.

However, there have been high-profile players in the recent past such as Craig Wing and Mark Gasnier who have escaped existing deals because their third-party payments have not been met.

Gallen is not required back at Sharks training until January 4.

Gallen's record of on-field controversy has landed him the game's longest judiciary record.

He's also fronted the Sharks board over a series of hot-headed acts, including pulling a player's head bandage and allegedly squeezing another's testicles.

Who's Wayne Honeywood ?

He would be a good pick up, new club,new coach etc etc. And he would add some much needed mongrel to our pack, a loose cannon but every team needs one.

Dont forget we chased him pretty hard a couple of years ago, Des must rate him highly - if he came over then he would have picked up a premiership. 

Maybe he realises the Sharks will never, ever win a trophy and wants to come to a club that actually has a trophy room.

Great. Thurston & Gallen. Why not go after Slater too?

I don't know why we'd be interested in taking a guy who's merely spitting the dummy because his club has held him accountable for his own actions. JT has much the same attitude.

Say what you want about how good they are as footballers but neither one has won a premiership (or did JT come off the bench for the Dogs in '04?).

It would take a lot of fun out of being on the hill if you're more inclined to bag out your own players than the oppositions too.

Duff link said:
I don't know why we'd be interested in taking a guy who's merely spitting the dummy because his club has held him accountable for his own actions. JT has much the same attitude.

I agree Duff.

eggson link said:
Who's Wayne Honeywood ?

Wayne is the Sea Eagles Financial Controller and is currently Acting CEO until Lowey arrives.
What some may not know is that Wayne played first grade for us in the early 80's.
Good guy...

Vidmar

If he's a good guy then he won't want anything to do with grubby Gallen.  Gallen, probably the most hated man in the game, and would do nothing for the club or its membership roll.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2