Full-backs on trial for Test spot

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
TONIGHT's Melbourne v Brisbane showdown is a virtual selection trial between Karmichael Hunt and Billy Slater for the full-back's jersey in May's Centenary Test.

The Australian understands that selectors have met already to discuss the full-back position because of the talent available in the competition.

Manly's Brett Stewart is the incumbent having replaced the injured Hunt in last October's 58-0 drubbing of New Zealand in Wellington. But until his hat-trick of tries against the Warriors on Monday night, Stewart had not fully warmed-up for season 2008.

The Cowboys' Matt Bowen, who is a late withdrawal against Parramatta on Saturday night, is thought to be too small to take on the might of the Kiwis forwards, while former Australia full-back Anthony Minichiello (Roosters) is yet to reproduce his best form.

The race is between Hunt and Slater with their respective performances tonight (Friday) going a long way to helping selectors decide who plays against New Zealand on May 9 at the SCG.

Hunt and Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer are back for the match against Melbourne, although their return has been offset by news Justin Hodges (hamstring) is in doubt, while hooker PJ Marsh (ribs) is out.

Marsh, who fought his way back from a broken neck to re-establish himself as one of the game's best dummy halves, has been grounded this week by, of all things, a sneeze.

The rugged utility is still awaiting the results of scans on his ribs to determine the extent of the damage caused by the faux pas, which occurred as he was driving to Brisbane's Red Hill training base on Monday.

A crack was discovered in the side of his ribs on Monday evening after a sneeze caused searing pain.

"The doctors said there was obviously something there and just that action of sneezing obviously aggravated it," Marsh said.

In his first year at the Broncos, the former Parramatta and Warriors rake has been in sensational touch, proving with his work around the rucks that he is more than capable of filling the hooker-utility role vacated by Shaun Berrigan.

just paper talk

If Slater is the Aus fullback when he is number 3 choice for qld then I too am a former trackwork jockey. 

Does anyone on here rate Hunt as highly as some seem too?  I think he is a good player but do not rate him as high as Stewart or Mini.  Just seems the media seem to cream themselves over him, I do not see the fuss.

I agree with you Garts. Hunt is one of the most over-rated in the NRL imo.

Putting bias aside, from what I have seen this year I can see it going back too Mini. It may have taken him 2 build up games before the freak got his hat-trick so on the form we know he can produce stewart is a close second at this point.

I think Mini will be the selection too. He is probably one of the best overall fullbacks to play the game.

His size and strength added to his pace and positional play are outstanding and he is slowly getting back to his best.

I don't think Slater is as good as they say and I don't think he will cut anymore.

Hunt is by far one of the most over-rated players in the comp. Whilst in attack he has flair especially with Lockyer anywhere near him, his defense is questionable as is his ability under a high ball under pressure.

Stewart and Mini should be looking for the spot and I think Stewart has shown enough to allow him to keep the spot too!

I am in the mini/stewart camp as well. How they can whinge about stewy's form and ingore hunt being injured is beyond me. I rate Hunt but not as much as the paper talk. In my eyes there is a big gap between 3rd and 4th

Mini
Stewart
Hunt
Slater/bowen/patten

Patten was the best fullback on Friday night. Mini was okay though dropped a sitter. His back still doesn't look 100%. Slater was good though the way Gus talks him up, you would think they are engaged. Hunt didn't do poorly.

Patten looked the goods in a badly beaten side and looked class.

if stewart is the NSW fullback they should play at brooky to guarantee atleast one try :D

Stewart is the incumbent and unless he has a bad run of form he should be the test fullback..

As much as i hate to admit it, Slater was very impressive last night

Although i do see Stewart set up that try assist they raved on about most weeks

Slater is he best fullback so far this year.

Minichello second.

Patten third.

Stewart has been poor until the warriors game. If he keeps that up he'll be right back in calculations

Selectors have a thing for choosing incumbents, Stewart should be the man if he holds the form he found last week.

I have been impressed with patten all year but mainly in attack.

With a more soli defensive team around him he would go better

NSW Team:-

01. Anthony Minichello
02. Jarred Hayne
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Mark Gasnier
05. Eric Grothe
06. Greg Bird
07. Peter Wallace
08. Willie Mason
09. Danny Buderus
10. Luke Bailey