From Today's Smelegrath

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
THE Manly team, minus its Origin stars, was spotted having breakfast at Hit Cafe in Dee Why on Tuesday morning.

The visit was reward for the cafe taking up a small sponsorship, but it was nevertheless a significant illustration of how times have changed under new coach Geoff Toovey.

According to Sea Eagles insiders, Toovey is more permissive than former coach Des Hasler when it comes to appearances and off-field commitments.

That has proved to be a godsend for Manly's private owners, who are likely to be relieved of investing any cash this season thanks to increased sponsorship. Well aware of Toovey's link to the bottom line, the board is already discussing an extension for the rookie coach after just eight months in the hot seat.

Toovey's deal expires at the end of next season, but Sea Eagles directors are already convinced of his long-term prospects and desperately want to avoid a repeat of last year's Hasler debacle.

A three-year extension is also on the table for David Perry.

But it wasn't ratified at last week's board meeting after old tensions exploded thanks to a no-confidence vote against chairman Scott Penn.

The development sparked a heated exchange between two directors, with a physical altercation on the cards until cool heads prevailed.

Few things from this article
* Lovefooty owns the Hit Cafe obviously
* we are no certainty to go back to back yet our (P Plate) COO has ensured we at worst will break even.
* des despite being a fantastic coach was holding the joint back financially with his control freak ways.
* who nearly punched on at the board meeting
Scott penn and who? Bob Reilly? Tinker? The Sidney's ?

Maybe they could sell ringside seats for that bout as an extra fund raiser.

"...Toovey is more permissive than former coach Des Hasler..." I don't think 2V's personal life or morals should come into it.

If he's permissive or not that is his business, surely just as long as h e can coach.:D

As a sponsor im sure thats the kind of payback you are looking for, bit of free advertising with some local celebraties. Certainly gets me thinking of going there next time im in the area.

Well done to all involved in that area and hopefully the more sponsor friendly conditions can keep improving the bottom line and therfore stress out the owners less.....

This was clearly shown with our WCC tour in February, the changes as a result of the new coach.

In 2009, we had no access to the players and the only time this happened was after the game at the team hotel and then only because we had three Dad's on the trip with us.

In 2012, the coach, new assistant coach, football manager and COO came to the tour hotel on night one and stayed for about 2 -3 hours.

We then had the players sit with us for a Super League game

And then we had dinner with the players (and several hours of one on ones).

We then watched them train, and a few interacted with them at the end of the training session (kicking footies etc etc).

And there was more (couple of functions).

In 2009 Grant Mayer was totally onside.....the one between difference between 2009 and 2012...... De$ Ha$ler!!

For me the greater issue is not extending Perry's contract. He has done a great job IMO, stupid pissing comps should not be the reason we don't try to keep a good - and steadily improving. CEO/COO

Toovs is a very intelligent bloke.
Many fans may not know this but Toovey is a Chartered Accountant, so definitely he knows his numbers :idea::idea:

Cameron said:
THE Manly team, minus its Origin stars, was spotted having breakfast at Hit Cafe in Dee Why on Tuesday morning.

The visit was reward for the cafe taking up a small sponsorship, but it was nevertheless a significant illustration of how times have changed under new coach Geoff Toovey.

According to Sea Eagles insiders, Toovey is more permissive than former coach Des Hasler when it comes to appearances and off-field commitments.

That has proved to be a godsend for Manly's private owners, who are likely to be relieved of investing any cash this season thanks to increased sponsorship. Well aware of Toovey's link to the bottom line, the board is already discussing an extension for the rookie coach after just eight months in the hot seat.

Toovey's deal expires at the end of next season, but Sea Eagles directors are already convinced of his long-term prospects and desperately want to avoid a repeat of last year's Hasler debacle.

A three-year extension is also on the table for David Perry.

But it wasn't ratified at last week's board meeting after old tensions exploded thanks to a no-confidence vote against chairman Scott Penn.

The development sparked a heated exchange between two directors, with a physical altercation on the cards until cool heads prevailed.

Few things from this article
* Lovefooty owns the Hit Cafe obviously
* we are no certainty to go back to back yet our (P Plate) COO has ensured we at worst will break even.
* des despite being a fantastic coach was holding the joint back financially with his control freak ways.

I all so was told that the heated debate was left to the end of the meeting and all the other business was dealt with first and passed unanimously.
I think they are use to heated debate and deal with the things that need to be done so the running of the business is not affected .
That's my take on it anyway.

Elvis Presley said:
Toovs is a very intelligent bloke.
Many fans may not know this but Toovey is a Chartered Accountant, so definitely he knows his numbers :idea::idea:

You can't trust those accountants EP. They are dodgy..

lovefooty said:
I asked about the blow up and was told that a male Penn director called other board members F*****g C***s . I was told it wasn't Scott.
I all so was told that the heated debate was left to the end of the meeting and all the other business was dealt with first and passed unanimously.
I think they are use to heated debate and deal with the things that need to be done so the running of the business is not affected .
That's my take on it anyway.

I'm sure your sources would love you coming onto an open forum and sharing that information.

Tooves has the Accounting background and on the NRMA board of directors. 2V Has far more business sense than Des did. Although Dessie did run a wattle supply business.

lsz said:
Time will tell if he is as good a coach as des

Des is one of maybe the top 5 coaches in history. Just marticuluos. He is starting to get that allure Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy have, where players will rise for their reputation alone.

It's why The Bulldogs, with relatively the same roster as last season, are now sitting second, as upposed to down the bottom last year.

Toovey on the other hand, has an excellent, wonderful squad (this year) so we SHOULD be there, or there about's. I know I have critiqued him, but we have had key injuries, suspensions, contract negotiation, and 3-4 playing in constant dialogue with other teams.

I guess 8th as of today is "ok" on that basis. Since he started, Tooves has lost 7, and won 8 (including a trial against The Sharks, and a lost WCC to Wigan), so he's a winning coach.

My concern is that a lot of our blue-chip young players are leaving, so we may not have the same "quality" of player as The Dogs next season, who seem to continue to be able to buy whoever they want, so I don't know if we will be able to look at apples vs. apples.

Then again maybe DSM5's point is valid, and age shall NOT wary them. I look at Galuvao, and he is possibly our best, most consistent forward this year. Then there was Ben Kennedy, who almost single handedly turned this team around.

Toovey (in my opinion) now needs to blood some young players like James Cunningham, Tim Robinson & others at the expense of Tony Williams and Darcy Lussick. I'd also have Oldfield in there, on the wing rather than Whare in the vent of Wolfman's injury.

Next season, I'm hoping for (as our top 25):-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Michael Chee-Kam (very young)
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Jamie Buhrer (young)
15. George Rose
16. James Cunningham (young)
17. Daniel Harrison (young)

18. Vic Mauro
19. Michael Oldfield
20. Tim Robinson
21. Liam Foran
22. Ben Farrar
23. Joe Galuvao
24. Jason Annear
25. Nick Skinner

Not bad depth either - so I may have been rash earlier - as our roster still looks very tidy (based upon NO signings outside our shop like the possibility of Shackleton).

Agree re Des

Take away any feelings you have about how he left the club there is not doubt he is a fantastic coach

In fact, considering the constraints he was under here (financial and the alleged board issues) it is scary to think what could happen at the dogs

lsz said:

Des is a fine coach but it clear to see his closed shop mentality was costing our club income that we couldn't afford to be losing especially when he demanded more and more money be spent on cuttIng edge sports science technology.

Cameron said:
lsz said:

Des is a fine coach but it clear to see his closed shop mentality was costing our club income that we couldn't afford to be losing especially when he demanded more and more money be spent on cuttIng edge sports science technology.

Lets be fair mate, we have no idea of what baskets of worms could have been opened at said events. Des would have made that trade off. It wouldn't have been a decision Des would have made, just to make it.

There would have been analysis and sensitivities that would have needed to be considered.

I remember one event Geoff Toovey and some other players did with Pepsi after the blokes had a massive night out the day before, and Pepsi were livid (was it Pepsi?).

It's a risk vs. reward thing mate. If your Des coming out of that night at Manly Wharf Bar, and had the vultures (media) circling like a hungry Shark with blood in the water, you'd close doors too I reckon.

This is yet another positive for Des. I rate him above all others, Bellamy.

Ryan said:
It's why The Bulldogs, with relatively the same roster as last season, are now sitting second, as upposed to down the bottom last year.

only 9 of the 17 playing this round played in the same round last year.

Basically 50% different, would not call that relatively unchanged.

and talking about ladder posistions mid way through a round is just strange.

a win by 5 and we are now going great guns.

its a very fine line for you isnt it?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7