From park footy to kangaroo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
From park footy to kangaroo
David "Wolfman" Williams picked in World Cup squad

Article from: The Daily Telegraph
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24463166-5001023,00.html

By Dean Ritchie

October 08, 2008 12:00am

MANLY winger David Williams is not your average rugby league Test debutant.

There's no flash car, bachelor pad or designer suit among the trappings which come with a six-figure annual salary.

Instead, Williams gets just $50,000 a year, making him a relative pauper among the game's elite.
Click here to purchase great photos from the NRL grand final

And his digs? He had to move back to his parents' Winston Hills home because he could no longer afford the $400-a-week rent for his Neutral Bay flat.

Two days after he and his brother John moved, in late last year, John signed with North Queensland and was off to Townsville.

A graphic design student at TAFE, David was pulling beers as a casual barman at Manly Leagues Club. His football career at Parramatta had stalled and he could not get out of reserve grade. In fact, he was resigned to playing for Hills in the local A grade competition - park footy.

But a year can be a long time in sport and fairytales can come true.

Want proof? Fast forward to yesterday, as the 22-year-old speedster, known as Wolfman because of his wild hair and beard, becomes one of six Manly players in Australia's 24-man World Cup squad.

The other five are Brent Kite, Josh Perry, Anthony Watmough and brothers Brett and Glenn Stewart. The hard luck story was Manly skipper and Dally M Medal winner Matt Orford, who failed to crack Ricky Stuart's squad despite a brilliant performance in the Sea Eagles' eight-try 40-0 demolition of Melbourne Storm.

Williams' rise is an incredible one given the modest goals he set himself.

No doubt he has exceeded his club's expectations - Manly signed him this year for what must be the best $50,000 they have ever spent.

"My main goal this year was to play just three first grades matches when some of the boys were away on State of Origin duty," Williams said.

"If it wasn't playing NRL footy this year it was park footy with Hills. Nothing against Hills, I love the boys there. But it was Hills or Manly - it was no choice.

"I don't know how to describe how I feel. It's been an outstanding year and this has capped it off. It's certainly exceeded all expectations. I'm shocked and excited."

Some of the scratches and scrapes Williams sported yesterday had nothing to do with Sunday's Grand Final. They were more to do with teammate Michael Robertson's lack of expertise as a barber.

Williams had promised to shave his beard if Manly won - and Robertson did the honours.

Equally thrilled was Williams' father, Mike.

"It's amazing. He started to pull beers just to make ends meet," he said.

"When John moved out, David couldn't really afford to stay there (at Neutral Bay) so he moved back home.

"We are all just so thrilled for him now. A try in a Grand Final, a premiership and now the green and gold."

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8