Free kick to the opposition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Des would pick the same guys who ran around ten years ago if he could.  I don't understand his reluctance to look at newbies.  And that's the point of trials.  Cross was useless in the trials and others were clearly better, but I bet that Cross is on the bench in Melbourne. 

Ralphie link said:
[quote author=Fonz link=topic=186531.msg317474#msg317474 date=1298499919]
[quote author=Ralphie link=topic=186531.msg317408#msg317408 date=1298444252]
Injuries for a nothing game. We outrate everyone now so why worry. All we need is for Gallup to do his job and get what we are worth.

Ralphie link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=186531.msg317411#msg317411 date=1298445869]

if you going to get injured you going to get injured,, no use saving a player for him then to be injured 1st round & out for 5 weeks..

The simple fact is that the more you play the greater the chance there is of injury. The only important games are NRL games.
[/quote]

Hey Ralphie, if you're gonna play 2 trial games anyway, why not televise them?
Pretty sure that's what DSM5 meant?
[/quote]

I agree, but Des himself has said many times he hates trial games and wants all clubs to agree not to run them. I agree with him.
[/quote]

and bailey deserved all his chances....GOAT PHOTOS!!

I'm not too fussed on a preseason comp.  Its hard enough on the players as it is.  What I would like to see return to the calender though in the 7s tournament.  Watching us win 2 back to back and running into Thomas Kennelly in the carpark after the second time at the SFS is a great memory!

images

DSM5 link said:
Des would pick the same guys who ran around ten years ago if he could.  I don't understand his reluctance to look at newbies.  And that's the point of trials.  Cross was useless in the trials and others were clearly better, but I bet that Cross is on the bench in Melbourne. 
it boils down to the guys who have actaully tasted nrl 1st grade i guess..  thats doesnt mean he is safe though,if  he dont aim up he wont be there round 3.

A pre-season cup is a great idea as long as it :

1. Doesn't add to much stain to the players, and since we already play trials and as much as Des says he doesn't like them always will it really shouldn't. Even the teams featuring in the final would only play 4 games in the cup, and that not a huge added burden.

2. Adds to the codes revenue. Which it would, what with a separate TV deal and sponsorship.

3. Takes the game somewhere it isn't already. Ie. Split the gate revenues between the clubs and play in Gelong, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, etc. Plus rural towns.

4. Allows us to start the build-up to the season with some on field spectacles rather then allowing the media to fill the gaps with the off-field crap that always flys around.

Play it across a few weeks as a knockout, and play the final the same weekend as the Superstars game, with only players not involved in the final eligible for selection. Give it a good payout for players, hence adding to the ability of players to add to their own pay check by playing well and bobs your uncle.

For those saying to many injuries have a look at what the ESL players go through:

27 regular season games and then finals
Challenge Cup games
9's which many clubs play in
Plus the English have a game against the Welsh and the French and then play in the 4 Nations.

Not to mention players that use to play in the 80's use to play in our winter and also play a mid week comp and then duck over to the English Comp during the off season.

Hey Berkley put that photo of Gallop up as a caption thread.  It looks great.  I mean it looks like he's sitting on the crapper and is constipated.  Or he's just been asked what he thinks of Manly or maybe he's just swallowed a lemon.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2