Four New Life Members

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Sea Eagles Announce New Life Members

Wed 9th December, 07:30PM
1449636008656.jpg

The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles will start celebrations for the Club’s 70th season by inducting three of its elite backline as Life Members.

Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai and Brett Stewart were made Life Members of the Sea Eagles last night by the Board of Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Limited. It is a rare honour to receive Life Membership while still playing.

The three current stars will be joined as new Life Members by former teammate and recently retired front rower Brent Kite, who was also nominated and elected last night.

The four will be given their Life Memberships at the Club’s Season Launch early next year.

They have all played more than 200 first grade games for the Club and won Premierships in 2008 and 2011.

Sea Eagles Chairman Scott Penn said the four players were more than worthy of Life Member status.

“The Board is delighted to have the four join our illustrious list of Life Members. All have been and remain among our all-time greats,” said Penn.

“They have all helped shape our amazing history and have been part of one of the most successful periods in Manly’s modern era.

“Manly have more 200 game players than any other Club – we are fiercely proud of that tradition and hope to build on it in the future.”

CEO Joe Kelly said Members would be given an opportunity to attend the Season Launch where the Life Membership Presentation will take place.

“It is a landmark day for the Club – never before at Manly have four Life Members been inducted at the same time,” Kelly said.

“What better way to kick off our 70th Year.”

The Sea Eagles Board recognises that Matt Ballin has achieved the 10 year 200 first grade game milestones. The Board applauds Matt's contribution and will favourably look at his achievements in the future.:swear:

The records of the four new Life Members are:

BRETT STEWART – Joined Manly from Western Suburbs Wollongong in 2003 and has played 222 first grade games.

STEVE MATAI – Joined Manly from Wynnum Manly in 2005 and has played 222 first grade games.

BRENT KITE – Joined Manly from St George Illawarra in 2005 and played 221 first grade games up to and including 2013.

JAMIE LYON – Joined Manly from St Helen’s England in 2007 and has played 207 first grade games.

I am confused...? We now have life members of MWSE franchise do we? I am guessing they are doing this to try and trump the MWRLFC life membership voting coming up.

Yes a bit stiff for Matty B to miss out through no fault of his own. He'd be still here if he had a choice. Really hope the club do the right thing by him in the future, if there is one guy who deserves that honour it's Ballin.

They obviously didn't learn from the Choc mistake when it comes to inducting current players. Not that I expect any of that 3 are likely to trash the joint, but still I personally think it should be an honour that is bestowed after you retire.

I am confused...? We now have life members of MWSE franchise do we? I am guessing they are doing this to try and trump the MWRLFC life membership voting coming up.
Good point Mals, I just assumed it was the Footy Club. Maybe it isn't. Pretty poor form if they are trying to overshadow the traditional honour.

I wonder if the Salary Cap will see the end of a 200 game player at Sydney Clubs?

The one Team Cities may continue to keep their players, but here we seem to be churning them at a great rate :cool:

Good point Mals, I just assumed it was the Footy Club. Maybe it isn't. Pretty poor form if they are trying to overshadow the traditional honour.
This has nothing to do with the Football Club. Life membership has always been voted upon by the football club members. It is not a board decision. Like how all sporting clubs operate life membership is voted upon by the members not given out like candy by board members.

Seems like that is exactly what they are trying to do. The football club AGM is on the 17th December at which Brent Kites nomination for life membership will be voted on by football club MEMBERS. Seems like this is a new thing for MWSE. How many other life members of MWSE are there

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE THAT JAMES "IRISH INTERNATIONAL" HASSON WAS NOT MADE THE FIFTH LIFE MEMBER!!!

Exactly, another division, the vote this year is for retired Brent Kite.

It really saddens me this, just trying to trump the Football Club.

The divide continues to grow.

“The Board is delighted to have the four join our illustrious list of Life Members. All have been and remain among our all-time greats,” said Penn.

So if this isn't Football Club life membership than who else is on this illustrious list that Scott is referring to ?

How can anyone be a life member of Sea Eagles Ltd? That is a company not a club.

The 4 players richly deserve to be recognised but I can't wait to hear Bozo explain why this isn't just a cynical PR exercise by the Sea Eagles board.

There aren't even any members really, just fans who purchase match entitlements and the like. I don't see any voting rights for example.

So if this isn't Football Club life membership than who else is on this illustrious list that Scott is referring to ?

No list , the first ever.

@BOZO can spin this in which ever way he wants but this is a Zorba/Penn backstabbing of the system that's been in place for 70
years.

Arko isn't a LM of their pseudo bull****, neither is Fulton.

Whichever way you look at this it's another nail in the coffin of the Manly culture.

Over to you @BOZO for your usual
defence

How can anyone be a life member of Sea Eagles Ltd? That is a company not a club.

The 4 players richly deserve to be recognised but I can't wait to hear Bozo explain why this isn't just a cynical PR exercise by the Sea Eagles board.

There aren't even any members really, just fans who purchase match entitlements and the like. I don't see any voting rights for example.

Let's wait and see his spin , but you are correct Lachie you can't be a Life Member of anything but a club, MWSE is simply the franchise NOT the club!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4