Forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bennyeagle

Reserve Grader
We need a spark! Where does it come from, we need go forward and we need mongrel, we got towel up through the middle of the park today, so we look to bringing hodges in off the bench at the exchange of buhrer ? Who would you go with on your bench ?

The spark comes from attitude. Its whats got us all out points so far this year, as I don't think we've actually put together a real good 80 minutes yet. Our wins have been nothing but grit and attitude rather than producing the real quality football we are capable of.

Buhrer stays for me. I'd have him in front of T-Red. I haven't seen enough of Hodges to suggest he deserves a spot. I'm sure we bought him to play first grade, but I'm not sure how he is travelling atm so can't give him a ringing endorsement. Toovs could mix up his bench and might get a different look, but any improvement next week will because the entire playing group wants to get back on track. Won't be easy, never is in the NRL.

This same forward pack did the business against souths and easts. They got out enthused yesterday and the game was gone before we got started.

We can panic when we lose 3 or 4 in a row and the forwards are getting schooled each week. Yesterday type games happen.

I'm not panicking yet! I don't think that we have picked or through injury had out best team on the field to date. We have a handful of forwards we can pick from now, it's a lucky pick draw !

Our forwards were completely outplayed. Agreed.
But did any of our our reserve forwards in the NSW Cup stand up? I didn't see the match, but we got beaten again. We had our strongest NSW Cup team this year - and still couldn't win.

After the Tigers got a bit of a roll on at about the 10-15 minute mark our forwards had no chance. We either turned the ball over in our own half or was kicking on the 5th from well inside our 40m. It was tough in those conditions but I thought Starling was good early. Our bench had no impact whatsoever from what I saw at the game. And missing Gift was not ideal, he definitely gives us momentum down that right side. Killer looked lost without him.

I don't think we need to reaching for the panic button just yet.

If you look at yesterday's game, lots of things went against us.

Firstly the weather. The wetter it is, the more the effect of mobile forwards is negated. Guys like Choc, Ferris and Gift (even though he didn't play) need to put footwork into their runs and in the mud that's tough. Their big guys just had too much of a roll on and rucking it out of our own end was tough.

Second, the Tigpies had a gale at their backs and you really noticed how DCE struggled to get a lot of depth on his clearing kicks.

Couple this with the fact that we turned over a lot of ball, were penalised something like 5-1 in the first 30 minutes and what happened was always going to be the most likely result. We played the ball for the first time inside their 20 at the 35 minute mark.

I think we just shrug and accept that we just couldn't overcome all of this and move on to the Sharks. Let's hope we get dry, fast conditions at Brookie this week.

Not sure what to say after watching the game last night except congratulations to the Wests Tigers. For mine, the analysis is fairly simple....their forwards outmuscled us ....they outplayed us.....they out enthused us. .....and most importantly, they held the ball throughout most of the match. So good on them and good luck to them. You could be forgiven however for thinking that this was a major semi from several of their try celebrations so I had to keep reminding myself that it is only round 5. Great game from stevie matai who should have come up with a hat-trick and so good to see the snake effortlessly floating over that mud heap they call a footy field. Jamie also tried his butt off but not to be on the day. Look forward to the next match. Upwards and onwards boys.

Two words: Brad Arthur
The great effect he had on our forwards last year is now there for all to see at the Eels. I wonder if his absence is just starting to show?
Just a thought.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
Two words: Brad Arthur
The great effect he had on our forwards last year is now there for all to see at the Eels. I wonder if his absence is just starting to show?
Just a thought.

Our starting 17 by finals time could be very different with regards to the forwards.

I fully expect Turbo/Sao to get an extended run at some stage and not look back. I think Lui will turn out to be a fringe back up player. Lauaki will eventually break into the side and be our best impact player off the bench. I still have hope Chee Kam can be the player we hoped he would be and break through at some stage as well.

King should eventually get his starting spot over Starling. He has the starting spot but is no means a certain in the 17. He has been solid but i think we can do better with the current players in our squad.

Could look a lot different. I dont think we have our best 17 yet. Depends on injuries.

8. King
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. Watmough
12. Horo
13. Stewart

14. Buhrer/Symonds
15. Lauaki
16. Trjboevic/Sao
17. Sene Lefao/Starling/Chee Kam.

I think we could do with Jayden hodges on the bench for a twenty minute stint.. Ballin is a great defender and brilliant passer, but just not fast enough to take advantage of the new ruck and how it is governed. Farah tore us too shreds yesterday.

Most teams run with two hookers, I think we should give it a shot

Sheikheagle said:
We missed the Gift big time!

g'day all,I don't think he would of made any difference to the result as collectively we were so poor you could argue that not one of our players outperformed his opposite number.You could see from minute one we weren't up for the game but I suspect that the tigers forwards are in for a nasty surprise next time we play them and I think souths will be pretty keen for a square up as well,not just because they outmuscled us but the smart mouthing to go with it.
cheers mike

Tigers are peaking early IMO. Looking at last year our forwards did not peak to later in the year. As someone said earlier footwork is a big part of our forwards strength so to speak. Yesterday that was some what negated. We did also beat the Roosters in wet but days like yesterday are very rare.
I think Hasson will add some muscle he is a lot stronger this year and is only going to get better. The same with JSL.
Can't wait to play the tigers latter in the season.
As for worst games in years I would say our final against the scum in 2012 was a much worse performance than yesterday.
I don't see the tigers being able to play with that intensity all year.

The Tigers forwards went really well but it would have been nice to see them play the ball where they were tackled - there were a few occasions where the markers had no chance of getting back onside after the tackled player took a few steps forward...

I don't think it makes sense having both Buhrer and Symonds on the bench together….I really like how JSL is going, whether King stays on the bench or moves to the start, not sure how Starling will go as a bench player as he seems ok but a bit of a plodder…the bench really needs to provide spark and impact…would like to see hodges given a go as well…along with the big elephant

Jatz Crackers said:
KaZa said:
Our starting 17 by finals time could be very different with regards to the forwards.

Will there be room enough on the field though ?

yes because the others drop out of the side. How it usually works i think :shy:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4