Forwards Problem in 2015...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
This time its good!!
After losing 2 legends in Gift & Choc expected disaster to follow...
Not the case - the recruitment team has done a super job bringing in some experience, size & most importantly enthusiasm to the club so much lacking in 2014.
The PROBLEM is a good one....having so much variation of monsters, mobile, skillful & experienced talent to fight each & every week for a spot in the 17.
Unfortunately in the footy circle of life there must be change - & this also includes your elite players.
Being realistic its important to keep in mind the amount of footy Gift has missed recently, maybe these injuries will be an ongoing concern?
Choc has played on with guts & determination but is in the same boat & the fact is, the best form of both is in the past.
The experience & excitement of these new recruits will also be massive for young guns like Trjobovic & Sao to feed off.
Also DCE & Foz playing off these powerful fowards bending the line & offloading will gain a new lease of life & the classy outside backs will benefit greatly.
As usual see the bookies throwing out the 26/1 odds on this supposed rabble of a team, imo a definate top 4 proposition & from there, as good as any.....

maxta said:
This time its good!!
After losing 2 legends in Gift & Choc expected disaster to follow...
Not the case - the recruitment team has done a super job bringing in some experience, size & most importantly enthusiasm to the club so much lacking in 2014.
The PROBLEM is a good one....having so much variation of monsters, mobile, skillful & experienced talent to fight each & every week for a spot in the 17.
Unfortunately in the footy circle of life there must be change - & this also includes your elite players.
Being realistic its important to keep in mind the amount of footy Gift has missed recently, maybe these injuries will be an ongoing concern?
Choc has played on with guts & determination but is in the same boat & the fact is, the best form of both is in the past.
The experience & excitement of these new recruits will also be massive for young guns like Trjobovic & Sao to feed off.
Also DCE & Foz playing off these powerful fowards bending the line & offloading will gain a new lease of life & the classy outside backs will benefit greatly.
As usual see the bookies throwing out the 26/1 odds on this supposed rabble of a team, imo a definate top 4 proposition & from there, as good as any.....

Hear hear.

Glenn added nothing last year and Choc was playing for a contract elsewhere.

We will be a better team next year.

Jump on us at 15 's now because we will be firming to single digits by round 5 next year.

If you look at how the successful AFL teams operate, they pretty much time, to the minute, the departure of senior players. There is not a lot of sentiment, especially if a player looks to be on the other side of the hill. The Hawks do this very well, as do the Cats and Swans, hence why they don't bottom out, like many other teams in recent years; St Kilda, Brisbane etc...Manly have copped a bit of stick for taking this approach with King, Watmough and Stewart who, without a doubt, have played their best football.

And I will add something more controversial to the mix. We need a young, pacey centre. Souths showed us up in the semis, although this will be a big balancing act as we are talkin about Matai and Lyon.

maxta said:
As usual see the bookies throwing out the 26/1 odds on this supposed rabble of a team, .....

Please share maxta. 26's is way overs and I want to get amongst that.
Best price I could find was 14's.
11's with others

Clint said:
maxta said:
As usual see the bookies throwing out the 26/1 odds on this supposed rabble of a team, .....

Please share maxta. 26's is way overs and I want to get amongst that.
Best price I could find was 14's.
11's with others
Odds WERE 26/1 a couple of weeks back mate, almost like the bookmakers had a sniff of massive changes & did not count on the superb efforts from the Manly insiders who had the reinforcements coming...seems your 14's is still good...can only see it shortening more.

If we have 4 of our starting pack sitting on the sidelines during 2015 finals series we will miss out again but that goes for any team as it would have done this year.

I'm not convinced we are markedly better off for next year. We lose Gift, King and Choc - and replace them with Mason and Mateo, so we are still one quality forward down. Mason will probably get through as much work as Kingy did and does have experience. Mateo replaces Giftys ball playing (not that we saw a lot of that this year anyway) but the jury is out on his defence and toughness, he'll be struggling to match Glenn in those departments. Who is going to pick up the slack on Chocs 100m+ average each game ?? Where do we get the real impact forward we obviously lacked this year ??

Everyone seems to think just because Vave and/or Tetvano signed with us they will automatically become the next Matt Scott or Sam Burgess. Pretty much the same scenario with Epi Luaki this season, big hopes ... zero delivery.

Our only real hope is that Turbo and Sao step up and deliver on the hype. We need a real big unit that can bend the line and draw in defenders. We've got a shed load of backrowers, but we are still light on for decent props.

Chip and Chase said:
I'm not convinced we are markedly better off for next year. We lose Gift, King and Choc - and replace them with Mason and Mateo, so we are still one quality forward down. Mason will probably get through as much work as Kingy did and does have experience. Mateo replaces Giftys ball playing (not that we saw a lot of that this year anyway) but the jury is out on his defence and toughness, he'll be struggling to match Glenn in those departments. Who is going to pick up the slack on Chocs 100m+ average each game ?? Where do we get the real impact forward we obviously lacked this year ??

Everyone seems to think just because Vave and/or Tetvano signed with us they will automatically become the next Matt Scott or Sam Burgess. Pretty much the same scenario with Epi Luaki this season, big hopes ... zero delivery.

Our only real hope is that Turbo and Sao step up and deliver on the hype. We need a real big unit that can bend the line and draw in defenders. We've got a shed load of backrowers, but we are still light on for decent props.

Couldn't disagree more.

Fluffy said:
If we have 4 of our starting pack sitting on the sidelines during 2015 finals series we will miss out again but that goes for any team as it would have done this year.
Really?? From where I was watching just a couple of bad options from beating the Dogs & making the GF....
Also made it that far without Gift most the season & Choc/Buhrer out that game, add Vave, Mason, Tet, Mateo & Trjobovic & its fair to say thats a lttle more firepower in 2015 to fall back on.

maxta said:
Fluffy said:
Really?? From where I was watching just a couple of bad options from beating the Dogs & making the GF....
Also made it that far without Gift most the season & Choc/Buhrer out that game, add Vave, Mason, Tet, Mateo & Trjobovic & its fair to say thats a lttle more firepower in 2015 to fall back on.

I think it is fair to say that come finals time is we are missing Ballin, Buhrer, Mateo and Mason we are unlikely to make it any further than this year.

I find it mind blowing that anyone thinks you can drop 4 of your 6 starting pack and compete.

Kevinward777 said:
Chip and Chase said:

Couldn't disagree more.

I bet you could if you tried ;)

So you think we are way better off cattle wise next year ?? Who are you pinning your hopes on to make the big difference for us next season ??

I'm sure JSL will play many more minutes each match next season, and he'll make up some of the momentum we lose without Choc. His experience gained with Samoa against world-class opposition will see JSL become our leading running forward. Mateo will also be able to put fast men such as T-Red, Buhrer and Lawrence through more gaps than we achieved last season, some of which was because Gift was injured.
I think we'll be alright. Especially if Jake Turbojet remains injury free.

Chip and Chase said:
Kevinward777 said:
Chip and Chase said:

Couldn't disagree more.

I bet you could if you tried ;)

So you think we are way better off cattle wise next year ?? Who are you pinning your hopes on to make the big difference for us next season ??
Mateo will be close to the best signing of 2015, his combinations & extra space he will create for the halves will be invaluable.
Mason - I think he has payed his best footy no doubt, but dont forget he was 1 of the best impact fowards in the game & still can match it with anyone...his competitive edge will lift the entire team & be his best asset
Vave has the size but tbh need to see more before being convinced, has given himself the perfect opportunity to make impact at Manly, keen to see him under the best trainers in the league.
Tetevano has massive potential & is an upsize version of Fa'aso who will become a beast off the bench.
Leary looks good but not sure of another lightweight in the pack, Buhrer is that man & a player we missed in the finals.
Players like Trbojovic - this is their MAKE or BREAK year & for Jake, I believe will be in a massive way!! Almost like that signing in our own backyard we are yet to unleash.
I really think we lacked quality ball out wide for our classy backline in 2014 & these new players will win that ruck & create far more opportunity.
Not gunna boot Choc who has been a superstar but tbh, his best has gone & his attitude was shot, Gifty has also seen his best.
I will always be greatful for their contribution but overall, I feel we look far stronger up front for 2015 for the above reasons...

Sheikheagle said:
Nice work Maxta agree 100%. A week ago I wasn't looking forward to 2015 season. Now I can't wait

Agree Sheik.

We've lost Gift. But through no fault of his, we pretty much got used to this in 2014.

Choc's got a couple of good years left in him. He's a loss. But with all the associated crap that came with Choc in 2014, his loss is not as significant as it would have been had he left under normal circumstances.

King really struggled with the intensity of first grade this year. Players retire. It happens.

I think we've bought well. We'll be stronger than we were in 2014 in my opinion. Combine that with no squabbling in the boardroom and 2015 is looking good.

Bring it on.

Chip and Chase said:
Who is going to pick up the slack on Chocs 100m+ average each game ??

I think that will be Ferris. He more than adequately covered for Glenn. T-Red did well metre-wise too and add the new recruitments plus Turbo, who will all be playing well to secure a first grade spot and we'll go as well, if not better than, this year.

Apart from injuries, imo the factor which could affect our season is players like DCE, Foz, Skivvi, and to a lesser extent Ballin, being distracted with contract talks and having their minds elsewhere. Let's hope Scott Penn resolves these contract extensions promptly, like he said he would, and ideally before the 2015 season begins.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7