Forward Pass

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cc eagle

Bencher
All the commentators & talk back callers were 100% sure the pass to Foran was 1mt. forward. Harrigan said Hayne & touches all said they thought it was flat.I watched it on slowmo many times & you can't see the ball travel as it's obscured by Kites head & the defenders driving him backwards, by the time Foran receives it Kites a metre behind him. Hayne was only 5-6 mts. away & just about in line.

There is an easy solution to forward passes. If it goes forward it is a penalty. These days they tlk about the momentum of the runner, they direction his hands are facing, the wind factor. That is all rubbish. If it goes forward a penalty will stop any arguements.
I think the Kite pass was forward.

I thought that pass might of come of Saffy and thats why Hayne let it it go. Not that I saw any proof of that because the ball was obscured.

As one eyed as we might be, the truth is that anyone who argues that the pass was not forward, needs to visit opsm, fast.

WAMF link said:
As one eyed as we might be, the truth is that anyone who argues that the pass was not forward, needs to visit opsm, fast.

I agree,WAMF.The pass was def forward,but in the scheme of things,it more than made up for "bobble heads" vid ref try!

That's how we have to look at forward passes-in normal time.The ref only gets a second or two to make up his mind.We all have to look at it in normal time,and make our decision on it.That is why they took the forward pass out of the vid ref hands.I'll bet we get a cross section of opinions on here (as we have already).The put down,on the other hand,is open to all forms of replays,stop/go,and reverse.

cc eagle link said:
How many times did you watch it WAMF in slow mo
I watched it live (in HD) and watched the replay of the game(also in HD) and nothing will convince me that the pass was not either forward, offside or both. We got a lucky break, agreed it was after an unlucky break but we got a decision that should have gone against us.

Mate, as ajay said, the game is not played in slow motion. Fwd passes are not ruled on by the video ref, so no slow motion required for passes.

My funny feeling is the ref allowed the try to even up the other controversial and wrong call. I noticed one of the refs stop in line on the field at the point where the pass is made from Kite to Foran as if to signal a forward pass. But before anything could happen, the main ref pointed very quickly to the spot. It was a bit of tit-for-tat for my liking in our favour.

A Manly player has never thrown a forward pass.

The claims being made about this pass are outrageous and defamatory.  We should sue.

Thats my point WAMF, Hayne was close enough, made a split second decision & he was happy with it. I just slowed it down to see how wrong he got it & it proved nothing as you couldn't see the ball travel forward.
I'm with you MadMarcus.

eagleE link said:
There is an easy solution to forward passes. If it goes forward it is a penalty. These days they tlk about the momentum of the runner, they direction his hands are facing, the wind factor. That is all rubbish. If it goes forward a penalty will stop any arguements.

You couldnt be more wrong if you won the gold medal for the wrongathon in the special wrongalympics.

Go watch this, in full http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s&feature=search and have a think.

cc eagle link said:
Thats my point WAMF, Hayne was close enough, made a split second decision & he was happy with it. I just slowed it down to see how wrong he got it & it proved nothing as you couldn't see the ball travel forward.
I'm with you MadMarcus.

Yeah but having reffed touch footy for a few years - forward passes are pretty easy to miss - sometimes being on a small angle makes it harder to tell than a bigger one when you are close to the ball. The pass was too short for the touchies to have much of a view.

My bet would be the ref thought 'is that forward, looked a bit suss, um... play on'. Which is the right call if you aren't sure it is forward. Either that or his eyes were looking somewhere else, or he blinked or a heap of reasons. Of course it was way forward and he looked bad afterwards

It was forward and it was a square up.

I agree passes leading up to a try should be scrutinised by the video ref. Would not take much time provided the right technology is used.

For a long time I have said we need a line image on the screen (much like the world record line used in swimming telecasts, or the winning post line used for the races) so that you can quite easily and quickly to determine whether or not the pass was forward.

The technology is there we just need to use it.

I was more or less in line with it at the ground and the ref clearly signalled with his hands that it was forward (I looked for him straight away when the ball was grounded)
He then looked at the touchies and signalled try

clontaago link said:

I agree passes leading up to a try should be scrutinised by the video ref. Would not take much time provided the right technology is used.

For a long time I have said we need a line image on the screen (much like the world record line used in swimming telecasts, or the winning post line used for the races) so that you can quite easily and quickly to determine whether or not the pass was forward.

Would be as easy as that, why didn't I think of that Clon??

Can also be used to accurately tell if a player is on or off side for kicks (instead of taking 10 looks at the replay).

clontaago link said:

Sorry mate, but momentum is not a myth, and it's not like our players are gonna come to a complete stop before passing the ball just so a ref or an imaginary line can tell if it's gone backward.
Let the nuffies in pink keep stuffing it up and get on with the game.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6