Former Jet could have Sea Eagles flying high

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Matty B at his peak had the legs to make dummy half plays for 80 minutes, be in no doubt that Parcell will. He shatters club best times for distance training runs.

I do not disagree it is just a big ask from a player potentially in his first year of full time first grade...in arguably the most physically demanding postion

I'm sure he will be heavily targeted by the opposition too. So I hope he stays fit for his and our sakes.

Could go on to be one of Manly's best signings from Queensland.

This is where we'll miss Ballin, he was good for 40-45 tackles per game and the only other one that comes close for us is Buhrer, he would be a good hooker rotation but that's out the window for the first half of the season.
Will be an interesting first few weeks of the season to see how Parcell will go defensively and how that will effect his game, not sure on Api's defence either.

parcell was already big news in Qld,the Walkers know what it takes to be that good,he will rock the NRL.glad the donkeys didnt get him
I also liked the fact it was his try that knocked them out of the nines. Bennett let him go as Andrew McCullough had the hooking position pretty much sown up. Personally I think Parcell has more upside than McCullough.....mind you, he also let Jake Granville go.

Hope he likes to tackle because someone needs to do an extra 50 tackles a match for the whole season to replace Ballin's defence alone.

Sure as hell the other forwards like Kapow and Myles aren't going to relieve any of that pressure. I can see Jake T being used as a workhorse and I don't like it.

Actually I think our defence looks very ordinary especially without Buhrer, Sure we have added a couple of hitters, and we desparately needed them because its been 2 seasons since anyone other than Matai has hurt anyone in defence. I know a player from another team was telling a mate last year Manly were the softest team in the comp. I still dont see a Watmough/Gift/Ballin combination that will tackle hard for 80 minutes.

Hope I am wrong and maybe Brown/Parcell/Turbo will step up.

I also liked the fact it was his try that knocked them out of the nines. Bennett let him go as Andrew McCullough had the hooking position pretty much sown up. Personally I think Parcell has more upside than McCullough.....mind you, he also let Jake Granville go.
And Mat Balin

Before and after the Nines I've read a lot of comments from Donkeys fans who can't for the life of them understand why they let Parcell go.

Their loss is our gain :)

This is where we'll miss Ballin, he was good for 40-45 tackles per game and the only other one that comes close for us is Buhrer, he would be a good hooker rotation but that's out the window for the first half of the season.
Will be an interesting first few weeks of the season to see how Parcell will go defensively and how that will effect his game, not sure on Api's defence either.
Api's tackle count whilst playing hooker is up near Ballins ,
Here is some of his stats from last year
round /pos/ mins /tackles
4- hooker- 61 mins 41 tackles *
5- 5/8 / 80 / 25
6- 5/8 / 80 / 22
7- 5/8 / 80 / 25
8- hooker / 80 / 47 *
9- hooker / 80 / 61 *
10- 5/8 / 80 / 36
15- hooker /31 / 45 *
16- hooker /68 / 43 *
17- hooker /64 / 35 *
18- hooker / 80 / 54 *
23- hooker /48 / 32 *
24- hooker / 80 / 32 *
25- 5/8 / 80 / 36

Last edited:
Defence is a team orientated concept. Sure Ballin could make 50+ tackles, but our 'D' last year was rubbish as a team. Seibold will sort that out & Parcell will add a whole other dimension. Ballin, with all due respect to the great man, offered jack **** out of dummy half in attack.

Nines boost has Parcell ready for 80
NRL.com

There's every chance Matt Parcell will spend the bulk of 2016 sharing hooking duties with teammate Api Koroisau but he says after a big pre-season and an energetic Nines campaign he's ready for the rigours of 80-minute NRL if his coach requires it.

Koroisau was expected to be Manly's first-choice starting hooker but off-season shoulder surgery has put him out of playing any trials and racing the clock for Round 1, while Parcell himself will sit out this weekend after straining a hamstring in the Nines.

It's a blow for the former Ipswich gun to miss out on a rare chance to face his former side but says it's a case of better safe than sorry with a Round 1 clash against Canterbury just a fortnight away.

"I'm disappointed about that, I was really keen to play but it's better to be safe than sorry," Parcell told NRL.com.

"Just from the Nines, I strained my hamstring in the Titans game there so if I go and play and do it again I'm out for 4-6 weeks so it's better to be safe."

While Parcell hoped his old club would put on a show he laughed of suggestions he may feel mixed loyalties when he's watching from the sidelines.

"It'll be a really entertaining game and hopefully Ippy go well and make a real good contest out of it [but] I'll be going for Manly," he laughed.

"But it will be good to see all the guys again and show them around down here so I can't wait."

Parcell said he has taken plenty of confidence out of his six games for Brisbane last season, as well as a brilliant Nines campaign where he played full 18-minute games for the most part and scored two match-winning tries as his injury-hit side progressed out of their group to the quarter-finals.

"I got a lot of confidence out of the Nines, it was really good to get out there. I played full games for most of it and fitness-wise I feel really good and can't wait for the season to start.

"I did the [NRL] pre-season [at Brisbane] last year but I think this one topped it, this one was pretty solid. It's a bit different this year being in the NRL squad, different to playing as a backup but I'm really enjoying it."

He said it was a different feeling taking part in a pre-season under the expectation of playing NRL at the start of the season proper but said he was more excited than nervous.

"I got a lot of confidence out of last year, then when I was called on at the Broncos there I felt I could handle the NRL and towards the back end of last year I felt I was as prepared as I can be to be an NRL first grader.

"I don't take things too seriously. I back what I've done in the pre-season, I have a lot of confidence in my ability so I'll go out there to enjoy my time and be more excited than nervous."

Parcell said while he wasn't sure if Koroisau would be fit for Round 1, he expected to be sharing the role with the former Panther and Rabbitoh.

"We push each other [at training], I guess we'll find out when the season comes how it's going to go but I guess we'll probably share it. I just try and work as hard as I can each session and I guess we're different styles but I guess that's a good thing."

So looks like Api or Parcell will be one of the bench players each week.
Does that mean two props and a backrower the other three benchies?

So looks like Api or Parcell will be one of the bench players each week.
Does that mean two props and a backrower the other three benchies?
I would have the two props plus Mareo coming on as a ball playing lock when the forwards are tired. Will mean both back rowers play 80 but Mateo could play there instead if needed. Would give us a good mix of power and speed for our interchanges.

I don't have anything but gut feel and fading memory to go off, but isn't Lewis Brown a bit of a worker also?
Lawrence will get through some also.
People also seem to forget that we are under an entirely different coaching regime with what seems to.me a big focus on stiffening up defence.
I have faith that Barrett will walk the walk and get the forwards lifting their individual efforts to help absorb some of the defensive numbers to make up for Ballin's stats.
They don't need to make up 50 tackles FFS. Parcell and Api will make 30 to 40 a game combined so its 10 to 20 amongst the rest.
I just looked outside - the sky is NOT falling down!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4