Former Jet could have Sea Eagles flying high

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Former Jet could have Sea Eagles flying high
wayne_ticker_heming-c6yfh5oj9hgv724q5k2_ct40x40.JPG

Wayne Heming | 9th Feb 2016 12:00 PM

Ipswich co-coach Ben Walker says he believes his former Queensland Cup-winning hooker Matt Parcell can form an alliance with Daly Cherry-Evans capable of taking Manly all the way to an NRL premiership this year.

It's a huge rap to put on a 23-year-old yet to play an NRL game.

But having coached him and seen his commitment and dedication, Walker said he hoped rookie Manly coach Trent Barrett takes a punt on the youngster and hands him the starting No.9 jumper against a monster Bulldogs pack in round one.

"Matty and DCE (Cherry-Evans) could do what JT (Johnathan Thurston) and Jake Granville did with the Cowboys last year," said Walker, who played 179 NRL games, and spent a season with Manly in 2003.

Walker said he rated Parcell so highly he believed he would also take over from Melbourne's Cameron Smith as Queensland and possibly Australia's next hooker.

"There's a few to pick from (including Granville), but there is nobody faster and none more dangerous than Matty," he said.

Walker said Parcell was a "special player" who scored big tries and made the big plays because he was fitter and faster than his rivals, and had an awareness that allowed him to be in the right position at the right time.

With long-serving hooker Matt Ballin moving on to battle Robbie Farah for the No.9 jumper at Wests Tigers, Manly recruited PNG international Apisai Koroisau and Parcell to join Jayden Hodges in a hooker/halves rotation group.

But with Hodges likely to miss the season after rupturing his ACL during the Auckland Nines, it has come down to a race between Apasai, who played in South Sydney's grand final win two years ago, or a kid from Ipswich who starred for the Jets in their Queensland Cup win last year.

Parcell has certainly shown he could tick all the right boxes.

He has already shown Barrett his blistering speed as the fastest player over 40 metres (4.8 seconds) at the club, and his form at the Nines would have only re-affirmed his claims to make his NRL debut next month.

Manly, meanwhile, issued a brief statement concerning an incident involving Koroisau in Bondi in December, which could potentially affect his selection.

He has been charged with entering a property without consent of the owners on December 20, and will appear in Waverley Local Court on February 17.

The club said it had reported the incident to the NRL's Integrity Unit.

"The incident followed some extenuating circumstances in Apisai's personal life," the statement said.

"The Sea Eagles are providing Apisai with the necessary support during this time and will not be making any further comment."

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/former-jet-could-have-sea-eagles-flying-high/2924743/

Short kick off's should be compulsory for both sides in this game. There was so much to love about watching how the Walkers had Ipswich playing footy last year, so I hope Barrett has us playing them for a reason.

Unfortunately without all there former star, 3 speedsters in Parcell, Anderson, Barbar I can't imagine it is possible to recruit such talent and speed and play the same way. Such a shame was amazing to watch.

I thought Parcell played a few for The Broncos. FMD, I must be going senile in my old age hahahaha.

Must admit I'm really looking forward to seeing how we roll with a much stronger forward pack and an elusive, fast ball player at dummy half. MB was great but last year had seemingly slowed right down and we lacked creativity from dummy half.

Going to be good to watch I reckon :D

He did. Played 6 games off the bench for the Donkey's last season.

Typical "journalist" doing a half arsed job....
Hmmm, I must have missed that "NRL debut" bit on my first read of the article, although after reading the article again and knowing that the article was about Parcell being at Manly and the Manly hooker position and he has yet to debut in an NRL game for Manly, it is obvious to me that that is what the journalist was trying to get at. He just didn't word his comment clear enough to get the right interpretation across and that is probably the reason why I missed it. :)

I still think Parcell should start and play 80 mins. By week 6 everyone will agree that he should be our hooker.
If ever there was a player with the motor and legs to last 80 minutes without slowing down - it is Parcell.

Api in the halves may happen depending on circumstances.

Yeah parcell does look the goods. He was already working well with T turbo so add dce to that combo and its pretty lethal attack.

I think we will see parcell the starting hooker.

It is a pretty big ask to start in the NRL and play 80 every week, especially as a hooker. It took matty b a couple of years of first grade to do it so I would think there is some merit in bringing him along slowly

not surprised he is the quickest over 40m, that stat is in my opinion a better who is the fastest and the 100m. Over the 40m is when you beat the player, once in the clear it is unlikely you will be run down by someone 1 second quicker of the 100m and even so you would usually score on the next play.

It is a pretty big ask to start in the NRL and play 80 every week, especially as a hooker. It took matty b a couple of years of first grade to do it so I would think there is some merit in bringing him along slowly
If Matty B at his peak had the legs to make dummy half plays for 80 minutes, be in no doubt that Parcell will. He shatters club best times for distance training runs.

cool, what was the old record and who owned it and how much did he beat it by?
4.8 is a great time as good as top soccerr players in Europe and not far off the top wide recievers but these claims are always questionable, was there wind, track surface, how was the time recorded? Gates or manual.

Parcell must start for mine.

He is going to get the defense on the backfoot and allow our big fellas to roll forward.

I'm sure he will be heavily targeted by the opposition too. So I hope he stays fit for his and our sakes.

Could go on to be one of Manly's best signings from Queensland.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8