Form slumps of great players?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think the club as a whole has been out of form for most of 2015 and 2016. With the exception of that massive win over Brisbane at Gosford last year when we played an attacking style of play - I'd like to call it Manly style - we have been disappointing. In previous years I'd go to matches confident of a win; if not, at least I'd know that when we got behind on the scoreboard we had the flair to fight back.
Now we play a boring style of football more akin to St Illawarra Circa 2015-16.
With the exception of Tom Turbo and Parcell we look pedestrian, and not like the team I have supported since the 1960's.

Chez CAN be great. He's just been ****house for 18 months. It's what the fans see. It's what the media is seeing (you've seen all the articles). I know we love him, because he's Manly, but that also doesn't mean we can be blind to his form.
To be fair DCE has been one of our best players all year. The Walker experiment really didn't help him, hopefully with Lyon playing there he'll find his form again.

Most halves are confidence players, at least to a degree, and DCE is no exception.

When a few things don't come off I think they start expecting that nothing will come off, and that's when they have form slumps.

DCE will click and get his confidence back sooner or later. I hope it's sooner!!

Last 18 months a great deal of our players have been down on form. DCE will be back and IMO has been going alright this year - when on the field. He's only as good as the team around him. When we play well as a unit you can bet Daly will be playing well. Agree with the point made about ballin not being there as well.

I might get shouted down for this, although i can't recall which year(s), but even the great Beaver Menzies was way down on form somewhere in the early 2000's. Sure, the side went to crap and then became the NE, but i remember watching him falling off tackles with poor attempts and not doing much with the ball, and i would have preferred to had seen he was still our shining light during this poor period I wondered if this was it for the great man....

History tells me it wasn't.

Cherry is an individualistic player by nature, & never was our no 1 playmaking option. His natural instinct is to play bootleg football. He's attempting to mould himself into an orchestrator, whilst being thrust into the role of no 1 playmaking option, which he's still getting accustomed to, at the same time. The sooner he becomes our general, the better our team will be.

Most halves are confidence players, at least to a degree, and DCE is no exception.

When a few things don't come off I think they start expecting that nothing will come off, and that's when they have form slumps.

DCE will click and get his confidence back sooner or later. I hope it's sooner!!

When things don't come off, he starts to try too hard to make something happen. Then starts tackling everyone. He is then so far away from his natural game that frustration sets in. Lyon should be a good fit with him, but then again...Jamie has been a little guilty of the above this year as well.

Time will tell.

Graeme Langlands form in 76 Grand Final was as bad as it gets.

Edit: should read 75

Last edited:
Greg Inglis has been pretty ordinary this year, so far. He may turn it around tonight with a MOM performance, but he has been a shadow of himself this year.

Jason King had a rough trot from about 2001 to 2014, during which time he was usually out of form.

Graeme Langlands form in 76 Grand Final was as bad as it gets.

Edit: should read 75
Quite right. He had no impact at all in the '76 decider.

Wombat had a three-game slump in Round 19 (vs Wests) & 20 (vs Cronulla) and the rescheduled Round 14 (vs Souths) game in August 1979. Worst games he ever played.

Dce's kicking game got slammed by the fox commentators in the game against Cronulla..

From where he was kicking from, usually around about halfway, I can't see what else he could have done.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6