Foran's 2 year deal with his options- Roosters development continues?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Hi, great that he wants to sign but only for 2 years!! and then a 2 year option in his favour. By end of 2012 Anasta will be gone by then and him and best mate Mitchell P will be the scrum base for Roosters with Carney at fullback. I wish he would have signed for 4 years without that option. I'm afraid we could be developing another Rooster. 

Well, apparently he had already signed with the roosters...so now we find a different way to be negative and spark controversy.

Who the f knows what will happen in 2 years.

I'm sure Foran does, for an 18 year old it seems odd to sign only for 2 years!! 3 years seems to be the minimum that would show that a future in the club seems certain. After Hargreaves, I'm sick of developing these 'kids" for another club to snapple them up as soon as they are NRL ready. Lyon will be 30 by then and may head off as well. We could potentially be without our 2 halves in 2 years time. If that doesn't worry you thats your choice but it does for me. Top class halves are very few Thurstons etc and we need to have these 2 spots locked in for 3-5 years.

gday Kaza, today's tele page page 56 top left corner. It says near the end of the article that "His new contract is a 2 year deal ending 2012 with a 2 year further option in Foran's favour" Whoops, I suppose that makes it 3 years  ::) but when I first read it I thought it was plain 2 (END OF 2011)My apologies, I will crawl away now. (eating humble pie)

Darren link said:
. . . I'm sick of developing these 'kids\" for another club to snapple them up . . .

You do realise the reason Manly came to be so ...er.. 'disliked'  .. by other fans over the years . . . ???

Darren link said:
gday Kaza, today's tele page page 56 top left corner. It says near the end of the article that \"His new contract is a 2 year deal ending 2012 with a 2 year further option in Foran's favour\" Whoops, I suppose that makes it 3 years  ::) but when I first read it I thought it was plain 2 (END OF 2011)My apologies, I will crawl away now. (eating humble pie)

Why should you apologise Darren or have to eat humble pie? It is now 2010 and he is currently still under contract until the end of this year. A new 2 year deal puts it to the end of 2012. A new 2 year deal just gives us 3 full NRL seasons to hopefully enjoy and who knows, he may just take up that other 2 year option and stick with us.

He just seems like the real deal and I am desperately hoping he will remain in the maroon and white for many years. It is great that he has played some juniors with us as well and hope that some loyalty and matching contract will keep him here. I'm not saying another Andrew Johns but he looks absolute class already at such a young age. Former stars such as Johnsy are raving about him, but yes, we will have 3 more years to watch him blossom. Maybe future captaincy will keep him as well!

guys, dont be suprised in a few years when Jamie decides to go back to the UK or give it away that we dont try and buy Pearce.

Manly have been linked with Pearce previously and once he has played under the under achiever smith he will want out

im gonna put myself out here to get bagged
but i havent been overly impressed in Foran just yet.

Saying that i cant wait for him to prove me wrong.

Pearce is over-rated imo, and Foran may be as well, but then again, he might be the real deal.  Let's just give him a year and see what happens.  If he's the bee knees, then we throw more cash at him than the Rooters in 2012, and hope he'll stay.  Nothing is guaranteed in this life.  We won the comp in 2008 with an underperforming half and can do so again.  I liked Hodkinson's efforts on Friday night, but I liked more the fact that we went forward on Friday night as a team.  Very heartening.  I think we'll go under the radar again and pop up at the end of the year in great shape.   

totally agree dsm, wasn't it great that directness of our play, line kicks that went more than 15 metres, we just look more in tune with current trends of yardage footy, it will be great to watch foran/lyon/hokko as Des finetunes their best positions.

id say for 1st game we will be brett, robbo, matai, williams/whare, wolf, jamie, foran, glenn, choc, rodney, king, perry and ballin. bench could be rose, seuseu, kite and gulavou/cross. A pretty good 17!! and where do we put bailey/farrar/lussick/hoppa. loads of depth

Cambo link said:
im gonna put myself out here to get bagged
but i havent been overly impressed in Foran just yet.

Saying that i cant wait for him to prove me wrong.

Pretty hard to impress them !!

He showed all the signs of a class footballer last year

The thing that stuck with me the most with him is he had the ability that the top guys seem to have to be in the right place at the right time constantly

I think the point Cam is trying to make is that its a lot of money to be throwing at a kid.

Yes he has done well (bloody well) but he is still a kid.

The problem is that key position players are as rare as hens teeth so when one comes up there is a scramble to try and get em.

Supply and demand I guess.

Fro, what we have going for us to interest Foran is the position of the team come the end of the season.  Will we be up at the pointy end of the comp at the end of each season, my bet is that we will, and it's my belief that playing finals footie is a huge incentive for players.  The Rorters are a team that will go nowhere given its roster, so I can't see why a youngster would want to play with them.  Being bashed around and no finals footie must be dispiriting.  Anyway as I mentioned, we won the comp with a half playing below his best, so maybe that position is not so critical if he is surrounded by very good players.  Playing direct and feeding better players is what a competent half should be about.  A good kicking game and a brain is an added bonus.     

Isz, I'm not confusing the years.  OK, 08 he was competent, surrounded by very good players; 09, well below his best, surrounded by players not so good (Lyon excepted).

The thing that impresses me most about Foran is his toughness. Its a rare trait in one so young to be able to mix it with men.

DSM, Ox played his part in a p/ship in 08. He didn't do it by himself but I doubt we'd have done it without him. Hang on, I fell a dejavu moment coming on.....

Cambo has a point - Foran is unproven.  Witt and Burns were similarly talked about "superstars" at this stage of their career.

That being said, he has toughness (admittedly so did Burns) but he seems to have a sense of timing and space that is a rare commodity.  He times his entry into the backline well and seems to be able to create space for others.  This is something neither Witt or Burns were capable of.

I want to move on too.  What I liked most about Friday night was the directness of the attack.  All the team ran straight, no crabbing across the field towards the sideline.  Fantastic.  I have high hopes about this team, there''s balance and a sense of something building, and it's my guess Foran will stay to be part of a glory decade for us.  It was always nonsense that Glenn S would be attracted away from Manly.    

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6