Foran to the dogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Why Kieran Foran chose Manly over Des Hasler and stayed with the Sea Eagles
PAUL CRAWLEY
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
OCTOBER 03, 2013 12:00AM

KIERAN Foran has opened up about why he turned down the chance to reunite with Des Hasler at the Bulldogs last year to stay at Manly.

He admits it was like trying to choose between your father and your brothers - but the special bond that kept him at the club will again be the Sea Eagles’ secret weapon in Sunday’s Grand Final.

Foran’s combination with Daly Cherry-Evans is today rated the best halves partnership in the game and, at 23 and 24 respectively, this will be their second grand final together after their win under Hasler in 2011.

But Foran’s decision to stay ended up being the best move he never made.

The tough five-eighth had a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave once Hasler was no longer coaching Manly.

He admits he was a phone call away from reuniting with his old coach at the Bulldogs but as much as he felt drawn to Hasler he said he just couldn’t walk away from his teammates.

"When I came to Manly, Dessy was such a big influence on the club, that is all I kind of ever knew,” Foran explained.

"And then when he left I just thought it would never happen, not in my wildest dreams.

"I thought I would play at Manly the rest of my life and Des Hasler would be the coach.

"So when that happened it was a big change to my life.

"Look, that was a tough time.

"I’ve got so many great mates, I didn’t want to leave them.

"I just needed time to sit back and think what this club was about and what actually made it so special.

"And when I got down to the finer points it was about this culture.

"The players, the boys that have been here for so many years, I didn’t want to walk away from that."

So he stayed with Manly and the rest is now history.

Plenty of people have been amazed by the courage that has inspired their charge through the finals after Manly were basically given up for dead three weeks ago.

But courageous back-to-back wins over Cronulla and Souths have them today being hailed as one of the bravest teams ever assembled.

And evidence of that commitment to each other was on show the day Foran turned down Hasler’s offer.

Many of his teammates including halves partner Cherry-Evans had him gone to the Bulldogs for sure.

"From my personal conversations with Kieran he was obviously pretty much gone," Cherry-Evans said this week.

“So for him to have something click and have him stay was huge for the club.

"I am very, very happy that Kieran made that decision to stay.

"I’d hate to see him play for any other club because I think he is the sort of guy this team needs for the next seven to 10 years.

"He is a competitor. It doesn’t matter if it is on or off the field, he is a competitive guy.

"And above all that he is a good person.

"He means well, he is kind-hearted, he would do no wrong by his teammates or his family.

"He is the sort of person I enjoy being around and the sort of person I’d have to have this relationship with for the rest of my life."

Foran added: "It was just about me making a decision that I thought was best for my footy and my life and when I added those things up it was to stay at Manly.

"This is a great footy club. I have great mates here, blokes I hope to be mates with for years to come and I just didn’t want to walk away from that.

"That is the culture I’m talking about. Blokes like 'Choc' Watmough, Jason King, Brent Kite, Glenn Stewart, Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai - they have built this culture and that is who I give the credit to.

"They have built this up for eight or nine years and now all of a sudden us young guys are coming through and we feed off that.’’

niccipops said:
Unless they are talking 2016. You'd think it'd have to be absolute rubbish. Manly would not release him. His current contract would not have any get out clauses.

I call shennanigans on the 'exclusive'.

Even if it's referring to 2016, the NRL does not register a contract formally until after 01 July of the year prior to it being in effect.

None of the story makes sense.

Larissa said:
I know nothing about it, and would recommend that everyone believe nothing until you hear it from the horses mouth.

Our Club's ability to get on with the real job at hand and ignore what's written about us in the papers is our strength!
Cheers for the reply @Larissa. I shouldn't get sucked in to this stuff but I just want to wrap up all our legends and keep them at Manly.
The long off season has begun and I hope the horses keep quiet.

To their credit the gronks at the kennel seem to share our opinion that this is BS remember this super grass fella said we were talking to izzy.

To reiterate, a Triple M report from April '12 says, " Foran definatly signed with the dogs".
The only NRL Manly "news" today is about Wolfy.
This Johns character would say anything it seems. Next it will be,
Foran 20 blackbirds baked in a pie..

[attachment=712]

Attachments

• imagesCACHK440.jpg
    imagesCACHK440.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1
I'm going to put every cent I have on the dogs to win the premiership. With Keiran Foran, Israel Folau, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Josh Hoffman, Kevin Locke and Sam Tomkins all going there, they will win the comp for sure. Get on it guys!

bones said:
I'm going to put every cent I have on the dogs to win the premiership. With Keiran Foran, Israel Folau, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Josh Hoffman, Kevin Locke and Sam Tomkins all going there, they will win the comp for sure. Get on it guys!

You forgot we have signed Hoppa Jnr also

Larissa said:
I know nothing about it, and would recommend that everyone believe nothing until you hear it from the horses mouth.

Our Club's ability to get on with the real job at hand and ignore what's written about us in the papers is our strength!

Gees larissa that's harsh. Kerian looks nothing like a horse :p:D

It's been the biggest talk on the NRL grapevine for months, where will Manly Sea Eagles young star Kieran Foran play in 2014 and beyond?

Triple M's Supergrass, the man with his finger on the pulse, says Kieran Foran will head to the Bulldogs with the deal being done as early as Friday this week.

MG said if it's true Foran will follow Des Hasler to the Belmore club it would be a "big loss" to Manly.

The five-eighth had a clause in his contract which would have allowed him to follow Hasler when he left at the end of 2011 but the star decided not to use it.

Foran stayed at Manly and maintained his close friendship with Daly Cherry-Evans and managed to tough it out with wins over Cronulla and the Rabbitohs to help Manly to the 2013 Grand Final.

With the Clive Churchill medal winner Daly Cherry Evans denying rumours of a move to Brisbane, will his close pal decide to stay at Brookvale or will Triple M Supergrass's rumour prove to be true?

Shoe1 said:
I'd be surprised if des is still there in 2016. He started to fade into the background this year.

I had a look at the Kennel a few weeks ago - there is a 'sack Des' thread with one person asking who would you get to replace Des - Geoff Toovey? It was a good laugh.

So if Foran wants to go let him, if he wants to stay let him. I'd rather have the players who want to bleed for Manly.

Far as we know there is no "escape clause" in the current contract. Rumour makes no sense unless Manly have cap issues or Foz hates the joint.

The Article Makes no Sense at all , he's not even off contract
Biggest Talk on The NRL Grapevine ?? seriously ??

strone33 said:
It's been the biggest talk on the NRL grapevine for months, where will Manly Sea Eagles young star Kieran Foran play in 2014 and beyond?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4