Foran & Hodkinson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Re: Foran & Hodkinson

They may not have been setting the comp on fire just to date but the signs are there that they will make a very good combination. Foran really impresses me as he punches above his weight.

If Hodkinson can get his last tackle kicking option right rather than kicking straight down the throat of the opposition and pin the ball down into the goal line rather than going out then we will have a very dominate half pairing.

Only other area that needs work is building up a combination with Choc and busting the line, it was a regular occurrence with Ox and Choc, just need it to start happening with Hodkinson and Choc, I am sure it will come.

Andrew Johns had plenty of positive things to say about them on the Footy Show as well

I think Trent is the better halfback. Future looks promising. Its a bit of a confidence boost when we have a great forward pack.

Good thing is we are scoring 20 points in the first half of each game.

Agree that placement of last tackle kicks need to be worked on. this is where the experience of Lyon, Ballin and Bailey can help out on the odd occaision.   

Ox and Monas didn't play many games in the halves together.
I do recall a trial game at brookie against the tigers and they looked awesome together. Manly won the game by a massive margin. Monas was 6 Ox was 7.
However Ballin wasn't ready for NRL at the time otherwise i reckon we would have seen more of the two.

I wouldn't say we have a set half and five-eighth at the moment.
Hodkinson directs play on the right side of the field, Foran on the left.
Neither player is the dominant player running the forwards or at first receiver.
It works well though

Robbo, Matai, Foran & Watmough (Left)
Williams, Lyon, Hodkinson & Glenn Stewart (Right)

Kudos to Des, Hodko and T-Rex have the experience of Gifty and Killer inside them in defence. Perfect ;)

Disagree on one thing King. Ballin was ready for first grade but the coach could not leave a $240 k played (signed by the club benefactor) on the bench without causing some problems. We looked twice the side once Ballin became dummy half. I remember Ox and Monaghan playing together and it was nightmarish in attack.

I thought they played a couple together but I have one strong memory and that is that they just got in each other's way. Just about no ball found its way outside.

Interesting to read on Andrew Johns blog (telecrap) that he has been spending a lot of time with the Manly halves....I wonder who else he works with?

Canteen Worker link said:
Disagree on one thing King. Ballin was ready for first grade but the coach could not leave a $240 k played (signed by the club benefactor) on the bench without causing some problems. We looked twice the side once Ballin became dummy half. I remember Ox and Monaghan playing together and it was nightmarish in attack.

2006 was when Monaghan and Orford played the first 2 opening games together in the halves.
Ballin was not ready for first grade at the start of 2006. In fact he wasn't even in the NRL squad.
Burns was pushing for a spot in the side which pushed Monaghan to hooker and Dunley to the bench.

2007 Round 2 is when Ballin made his NRL debut against the Tigers due to an Orford injury... i was there and it pissed down rain. Monaghan played halfback and had a blinder, Ballin started at hooker and scored a try Manly won 19-8.

Ballin could have played in 2006 i is the opinion of many who watch him in the lower grades.

lsz link said:
Interesting to read on Andrew Johns blog (telecrap) that he has been spending a lot of time with the Manly halves....I wonder who else he works with?

I think he works with any team who hires him, and there's been a few.  He did it with us a few years ago (2008?), just pre season or something.

He does workw ith nearly every team as do a few others but he spends more time with some teams than others

I'm surprised Russell Crowe hasn't hired him fulltime to try to drum some smarts into the bunny halves combo. Or maybe he has tried, and gave up.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
I'm surprised Russell Crowe hasn't hired him fulltime to try to drum some smarts into the bunny halves combo. Or maybe he has tried, and gave up.

That's Gold :D :D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7