For whom Bell tolls

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
For whom Bell tolls

30 Jan 09 @ 04:03pm by JOHN GRECO

IT’S the one major position Manly coach Des Hasler needs to fill this season.

Just who will replace the ever-consistent Steven Bell in the Sea Eagles right centre position for 2009?

Bell’s move to Les Catalans has opened the way for a number of candidates to battle for the vacant No. 3 jersey.

Premier League youngster Shane Neumann, new recruit Tony Williams, premiership-winning five-eighth Jamie Lyon and even Test winger David Williams could all conceivably fill the role.

Hasler is likely to trial at least three of the four during the club’s two matches in England for the World Club Challenge.

Neumann has been given fleeting opportunities over the last two years and is believed to have the inside running for the job.

“We think very highly of Shane Neumann at the club,” Hasler said of the 21-year-old Queenslander.

“He’ll definitely get a chance to shine.

“But you’ve also got Tony Williams and Jamie Lyon. They can all play a number of different positions as well.

“It will depend on things like injuries and representative duty.”

Lyon seems the perfect replacement but his performances at five-eighth in the run to the premiership were brilliant and his combination with Matt Orford is really blossoming.

“Jamie was outstanding at No. 6 but he’s a world-class centre as well,” Hasler said.

“It’s a good position to be in.”

Tony Williams was recruited to the club as a backrower but has spent time during pre season training in the centres and the Tongan powerhouse would be a devastating proposition out wide.

The “Wolfman” also was a massive hit on the flank last year, winning a premiership and playing in the World Cup final but it’s understood he has a long-term goal to get a little closer to the action.

“I won’t say no (to playing centre) if Dessy wants me to move there but I’m keen to play anywhere on the park,” Williams said after training at the club’s Narrabeen headquarters on Friday.

“I played centres all through my juniors at Parramatta so it wouldn’t be a big move.”

Hasler said he would name his squad for the World Club challenge next week.

nuemann... Tony williams should be used as a utility off the bench for the first half of the season as an impact player

its funny i sense abit of glenn stewart about nuemann in the way he has had a few first grade opportunities and doesnt seem to be anything speical.
I wonder if he could explode on to the scene like glenn did in 07

Cliffy Gc link said:
its funny i sense abit of glenn stewart about nuemann in the way he has had a few first grade opportunities and doesnt seem to be anything speical.
I wonder if he could explode on to the scene like glenn did in 07

Here's hoping!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4