For anyone interested an update

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was asked in another thread how my son in law was travelling given his diagnosis that his Cancer was terminal in nature ( diagnosis made back in January).

Silvertailers rose to the cause of helping raise Mick & Alice $20k to " make some memories " with their two little boys Sam (5) and Tom (7), pictured here last weekend lining up for junior league.

The $20k wasn't quite reached ( but it got bloody close ) and to date this is what's happened ( happening).

First up was a trip to Sydney to see his beloved Panthers beat the Eels ( in the very last minute), including access to the dressing sheds, and a signed jersey presented by Anthony Griffin, the photos from that weekend he will treasure forever.

The same weekend he was taken offshore fishing by a guy called Al McGlashin ( a guru apparently), great photos of Sydney Harbour and yes fish!!

After Jetstar donated 2 adult tickets the whole family flew to Townsville in April to spend a week with Mick's cousin and see some of NQ, it was the boys first ever plane ride.

Just around the corner is a trip to Brisbane to see the Eagles play , dressed in his one Sea Eagles shirt ( he's a die hard Panther). So if you are attending @vidmar 's pre game get together he and I will be there!!

Next up they are off again to Melbourne to spend a week with my other daughters family seeing the Great Ocean Road ( something Mick has always wanted to do), this is taking place in early June.

In July , Mick and all his family ( Dad, Mum , 2 sisters and family , 1 brother and family) are heading by 4WD to Cape York, unbeknown to Mick the crew at 4WD Action magazine are this week putting $25k worth of " bling" on his 20 year old Toyota Landcruiser. He thinks they are updating his suspension for him but in fact it's a massive rebuild , all totally donated. This Friday they are bringing it back to him, with a film crew and this will be featured on the next DVD and Magazine due out in June, I cannot imagine the look on his face when it arrives.

In September it's a family cruise to the South Pacific ( God help P & O with those boys running around).

He's always wanted to see Perth so in October it's off to WA to see the Wildflowers ( or whatever), fly over , rental car and motels for a week.

And that's about as far as they have planned, as they don't know when he will go down in a screaming heap.

In good news though, his chemo seems to be " holding the lung cancer at bay", but we know its effectiveness is limited , after that there's radiation, and after that they make him as comfortable as he can be.

He's listed down for any new therapies, and is trying some natural remedies so any extra time we get will be a bonus and given his current condition it looks like he will get one more Xmas with the boys.

Most recently ( last Friday) the community of Moree got together for one massive fund raiser to replace the $50k they had borrowed to finish their house and subsequently spent on travel / medication / accommodation. AND I'm pleased to report they'll be able to finish their house ( and some), no doubt about it small country towns do amazing stuff!

Once again thanks for your financial support, and continued interest , makes me very very proud to be a Manly fan AND a Silvertailer!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
Thanks for the update mate, hope he continues fighting!

Don't worry mate Mick is the most positive guy you'd meet , in fact you wouldn't even know he's crook as he never lets on.

And you only have to click on the photo to know he's got two fabulous reasons to fight ( well 3 I guess as Im sure my daughter counts in that )

Last edited:
Well done Mark, sounds like with the help of a great family he's making the most of things. Thanks for the update!

They are taking millions of photos , doing videos, writing letters for the future and most of all making as many memories as they can.

Brings a tear to my eye. Cancer is farking horrible at the best of times but now I have kids hearing these stories sort of makes it hit home a little more. All the best for the family mate. Keep making those memories and taking those photos and videos.

That's great news that he is being positive and living life to the fullest given his circumstances Mark. My father is battling pancreatic cancer and is positive and progressing well. It certainly is a disease that doesn't friggin discriminate mate. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all your family mate. Trust me i just got of a P and O cruise mate and if they handled my little bloke they will handle those two boys. They will love it

Amazing to hear of the good that communities and people can do, glad to hear the updates Mark.

G'day all,Thanks Mark and all strength to yourself and family. Great to see so many willing to help out in such a tough time,and it helps to restore our faith in humanity at the generosity and selflessness of others.
cheers mike

G'day all,Thanks Mark and all strength to yourself and family. Great to see so many willing to help out in such a tough time,and it helps to restore our faith in humanity at the generosity and selflessness of others.
cheers mike
Thanks mate, can you believe the lady Mayoress for Moree raised $5500 for shaving her head, did it on the night of the gala dinner / dance.

That's great news that he is being positive and living life to the fullest given his circumstances Mark. My father is battling pancreatic cancer and is positive and progressing well. It certainly is a disease that doesn't friggin discriminate mate. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all your family mate. Trust me i just got of a P and O cruise mate and if they handled my little bloke they will handle those two boys. They will love it

Good to know, I think the little fellas will have a ball!

Hi Mark. This is my first post on the forum. (Have read for many years but not posted). I have 2 young boys myself similar in age and cannot begin to imagine having to deal with that type of challenge. Well done to your family and the supports and solidarity you have put around Mick. All the best for the future and stay positive.

Hi Mark. This is my first post on the forum. (Have read for many years but not posted). I have 2 young boys myself similar in age and cannot begin to imagine having to deal with that type of challenge. Well done to your family and the supports and solidarity you have put around Mick. All the best for the future and stay positive.

Thanks Waz, and now you've done 1, let's hear some more !!

Really appreciate yours and everyone's best wishes, we sat down as a family and decided we could approach this in two ways.

Keep the whole thing in house and try and deal with it as best we could,

Or

Open it up, suck in the best wishes of people everywhere and make the best of what we have left.

We chose option 2.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6