Football Club - memberships, voting rights and reaon for being

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
There has been some questions re voting rights and cut off dates etc and as the Football Club Constitution is a bit convoluted (what happens when lawyers get involved) on the subject of voting membership (you have to flick between a few provisions) I thought I’d post an explanation.

In order to be entitled to vote, a member must be classed as a “continuous member”

In order to be classified as a “continuous member”, a member must be a paid up member for the financial year and have maintained continuous membership for the preceding three Membership Periods.

So if you joined in Jan 2008 and renewed each year since then you would be eligible to vote this year

The exception to this rule is that until 31 December 2009, a Member who was a Member as at 31 December 2007 and had maintained continuous membership for the 2 years was regarded as a continuous voting member

So, it was 2 year membership before you were eligible to vote (until 2009) and now it is 3 years

The membership year is Jan – Dec but a Member who pays their Subscription Fees by 30 April each year is taken to have maintained continuous membership since the end of the previous Membership period.

So if you were a member in 2010 but haven’t renewed and paid by 30 April 2011 you are taken to have resigned (We’ve been telling everyone end of March to allow for processing, people forgetting, chance for us to remind you, lost mail, dog ate renewal form etc etc) but -  If a Member does not pay the subscription Fees, then they are to be taken to have resigned.

Why is this in place – simple…To protect the preference vote that is held by the Football Club members (Supporters) on some very important aspects (such as where we play, in what colours and what we are called – see here http://www.rl1908.com/Clubs/Northern-Eagles.htm if you don’t understand the importance of that?)

The qualification period is to avoid a person or group buying up a big chunk of memberships and then having the ability to hold influence without any checks or balances.

Some people have asked why an auto-renewal can’t be set up or why there are no 3 or 5 year memberships – the points above are the main reason.

We also (as members) have representation at the Sea Eagles board table via 2 Football Club Directors along with the other owners of the club (The Penn Family, Quantum and the Leagues Club) which is of course very important (See what is happening at the Knights at the moment to understand why?) – This too needs to be protected.

If need be - Check here for more details of the Sea Eagles family and the role of the Football Club

http://www.silvertails.net/supporters/48-mw-football-club/5371-membership-information

Hope this helps but any further questions re membership or missing renewals etc I can be contacted at [email protected]

I totally understand why the rule is like that, but it's a bit of a bummer in that it stops genuine people voting right away. A possible turn off to people joining, though i can't think of a better solution.

ads, I for one have seen what can happen when a rule like this isn't in place. Its a long story and something that you shouldn't put on a public forum though. Its not related to the Sea Eagles though.

If you stack the votes it means someone that wants the club to move to Gosford and has a lot of money can buy memberships for 2000 people and get them to vote for the move to occur. The best option in this regard is to force anyone that is genuine to wait to vote. It happens in the Liberal Party now, it happens in the Labor Party as well I think, and it happens for the Football Club as well. There is no other way to do it. Some places like the SCG Trust have 5 years + before you can vote, so 3 years isn't too bad.

I am in my 2nd year of membership and I am more than happy to wait another year because I am one of the genuine ones that loves my club. Its not like the Football Club is voting for anything at the moment anyways ;)

Jono link said:
ads, I for one have seen what can happen when a rule like this isn't in place. Its a long story and something that you shouldn't put on a public forum though. Its not related to the Sea Eagles though.

If you stack the votes it means someone that wants the club to move to Gosford and has a lot of money can buy memberships for 2000 people and get them to vote for the move to occur. The best option in this regard is to force anyone that is genuine to wait to vote. It happens in the Liberal Party now, it happens in the Labor Party as well I think, and it happens for the Football Club as well. There is no other way to do it. Some places like the SCG Trust have 5 years + before you can vote, so 3 years isn't too bad.

I am in my 2nd year of membership and I am more than happy to wait another year because I am one of the genuine ones that loves my club. Its not like the Football Club is voting for anything at the moment anyways ;)

Maybe for Vid to get an extra 2 quarters of ham and tomato sandwich,and an extra cup of tea at the meetings.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6