1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitler and Daley want Blues' coach position

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    NSW State of Origin legend Brad Fittler says he wants to take over from Ricky Stuart as the next Blues coach.

Stuart is set to accept the NRL coaching role at Parramatta which, under current policy, would prevent him continuing as the Blues mentor.

Country Origin coach Laurie Daley emerged as the early favourite to take over from Stuart, but his City Origin counterpart Fittler has also thrown his hat into the ring should the position become vacant.

Fittler had an up and down run as Sydney Roosters coach between 2007-09, before he was eventually sacked.

The 40-year-old played the most Origin matches in NSW history and says he's been inspired by Stuart's passion to take on one of the toughest jobs in Australian sport.

Stuart was unsuccessful in his latest two-year stint as coach, but Fittler said the groundwork has been set to end Queensland's seven-year reign.

"Yeah, I'd do it. I think there's a good team at the moment. Sticky's done such a good job I think he's put it in a position where you could win so that definitely counts," said Fittler.

"There's a few blokes there (who will apply) ... everyone's going to take a breath at the moment and see what Ricky Stuart is going to do obviously.

"We still haven't won but what he's done from a NSW point of view, he's made me believe more in NSW."

Fittler said he would still like to see Stuart involved in Origin camp.

"It would be a shame if Ricky didn't have some sort of involvement given what he's done the last two years."

Fellow commentator and former Blues great Andrew Johns ruled himself out of applying for the vacancy.

"Me, no chance. I haven't got any experience with it and I don't think I could handle the pressure of it," said Johns.

"I wouldn't want to put myself into the furnace."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/state-of-origin/brad-fittler-throws-his-hat-into-nsw-origin-coaching-ring-if-ricky-stuart-joins-parramatta/story-fn31yxah-1226432163884

2. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    Stuart will have the job again.

I think it was Bones who pointed out he will be sacked by Origin time next year.

3. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Fittler and Daley, now there's a meeting of minds.

4. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,742 / 57
    Fittler is too dumb and Daley is a knob. I wouldn't have either. Bring back Gould.

5. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    3 replies - 3 good chuckles. It is tough being a Blues' supporter :)

6. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    Well Stuart hasn't won anything for NSW. What is there to lose?

7. Brookvale

Brookvale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 1
    Give the NSW Blues job to Des

8. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    Absolutely anyone other than Daley, An origin campaign based around rent a quotes and bibberjish. His track record as a selector should exclude his presence or input.

9. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Give it to Fittler and there's a guaranteed Qld win. I doubt whether he's got a brain.

10. eagle-rock08

eagle-rock08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Oh well, here is another 5 years of losing the series if these guys get the gig.

And I am not a fan of RS either by the way. Doesn't use his bench properly

RIP NSW.

11. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    Des would be the man to save NSW

12. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    I can hear the cogs going around in Greenburgs head about how the dogs could benefit if Des was SOO coach.