Fit-again Stewart dead-bats Manly talk

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
Mon 09 Mar, 2015, 1:03pm
By Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent, NRL.com

Rabbitohs back-rower Glenn Stewart says he is loving his time at Redfern and isn't letting any ructions at his former club worry him, adding he feels as fit as when he first came into grade despite a couple of seasons wrecked by injury.

Stewart's new clubmates are also delighted at the additional ball-playing depth Stewart has added to their premiership-winning side.

The popular long-serving northern beaches man was not even offered a new contract at Manly last year as the club set aside cash to retain its star halves pairing, but it wasn't enough to keep halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, who signed a four-year deal with the Titans last week.

"No, you wouldn't imagine that was how they wanted it working out [with Cherry-Evans leaving]. I don't really concern myself with that stuff now, I'm at Souths and that's all I'm concentrating on and I'm happy here," Stewart said.

"I'm not too bothered. It was all pretty messy, my departure and the way it got played out. At the end of the day I'm happy here now and that's all I'm worried about. I don't really worry about what's going on over there now."

But Stewart was glowing about his new club, which trounced the Broncos by 30 points in Brisbane to open their 2015 campaign, while his former club Manly crashed and burned by an identical margin at Parramatta.

"It was good – my first official hit out for last week in the NRL and I'm really enjoying it.

"I had a good pre-season here, worked really hard with the physios and the rehab unit. The extra time off because of the surgeries, the muscles and everything feel good.

"That's the positive way to look at it, the surgeries weren't good but the rest of the body got a break while I was mending. It's probably the best physical shape I've been in since I was first coming into grade."

Stewart has dropped around five kilograms since his last full playing season. "I put on a little bit extra last year while I wasn't playing so it probably looks a bit more flattering!" he laughed.

"I'm loving [working with the halves here] and our combinations are only going to get better. We only really started doing ball work together after Christmas because a lot of the boys were away on rep duties.

"I think we're going to get better but the two halves I thought really stepped up and took charge. They've both got level heads on their shoulders."

Giant prop George Burgess has been impressed by Stewart's footballing smarts and ball-playing ability.

"He's a very experienced player, he's played in Origins and played for Australia, he's got that experience.

"It's a very valuable thing to have in a team. Especially when you've got a side like we have, a lot of the young guys are learning from him, picking up a few things in training. Throughout the pre season he's been very good with them."

Back-rower Chris McQueen and hooker Issac Luke agreed.

"We lost a few big strong boys [in Sam Burgess and Ben Te'o] but we picked up Glenn Stewart who's been great for us," McQueen said.

"Obviously he's a bit different to the boys that we lost, but he's fitting into the team really well. We've definitely got a great pack on our hands."

Luke said he was already enjoying guiding the new-look pack around.

"To be able to bring 'Gifty' [Stewart] in, he's played a massive role in our right edge," Luke said.

"I know the boys feed off it. To have that flair on both sides with Sutto [John Sutton] there [on the left]... I wouldn't say we've lost [size], a lot of the boys have stepped up."

Good luck to you Glen. You are all class, on and off the field. Wish you were here!

x 2 But oh well, that's a spent cheque now. Onwards and upwards!! With a slight deviation to the side and a quick scramble to regain a foot hold...

Yeah, Cant think about this. It just hurts too much. 2014 was such a rough period. And nothin' much has changed.

Even though he has obviously moved on, he can be comforted in knowing the Manly fans didn't desert him when all that was going down last year, and he'll always be fondly remembered for his great contribution to our club.

I tried to convince myself that we did the right thing by letting him go. You know, too old, injury prone, past his best.... all that rhetoric bandied around to justify cutting a true champion loose. If we said enough times it had to be true...right ?

Wrong !!! He can still play and it looks like he is going to kill it this year. F#@k it !!! It's like seeing an ex-girlfriend walking around looking fine with her new beau, and it dawns on you that you were a complete and utter moron for breaking up with her. Too late now, we won't get a second chance.

I tried to convince myself that we did the right thing by letting him go. You know, too old, injury prone, past his best.... all that rhetoric bandied around to justify cutting a true champion loose. If we said enough times it had to be true...right ?

Wrong !!! He can still play and it looks like he is going to kill it this year. F#@k it !!! It's like seeing an ex-girlfriend walking around looking fine with her new beau, and it dawns on you that you were a complete and utter moron for breaking up with her. Too late now, we won't get a second chance.
As far as this goes, you really can't judge it until the end of the year and if he plays say 20 games. It is still week one, but recent history doesn't bode well for him playing a full year...

An even harder pill to swallow given what has happened and what is likely to happen.

Manly have cocked this up from go to woe, assurances should have been sort from our halves. Arthur should not have been allowed to approach players upon release and we needed to be more transparent with our senior players. We really have no one to blame but ourselves.

Letting Gifty go will go down as one of the club's biggest mistakes. He's a legend and he wanted to stay and was let go so we could offer big dollars to two young blokes who seem to care more about money than loyalty.
The club had their chance to show loyalty and they didn't.
Hate Souths.
Still love Gifty.

It could be my selective memory but I can't recall Glenn ever saying one bad word about the club...I'll always cheer you on mate.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6