First-up wins predictions by bookies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
First-up wins predicted by bookies
29/12/2011 2:02 PM
Adam Lucius
Sportal

Premiership-winning coaches Wayne Bennett and Des Hasler will start the 2012 NRL season with wins at their new clubs while Michael Maguire will enjoy first-up success at South Sydney.

But there's nothing but bad news for rookie Manly coach Geoff Toovey.

That's according to the men working the odds at Australia's leading online sports betting agency sportsbet.com.au

They have installed Bennett's Knights $1.55 favourites to knock over his old club St George Illawarra ($2.45) in the opening match of the season.

The bagmen also see victories for Hasler and Canterbury ($1.60) in their match against Penrith ($2.35)and the Rabbitohs ($1.65) over local rivals the Roosters ($2.25).

But if the bookies get it right, there will be no celebrations for Toovey when he takes charge for his first game against the Warriors at Eden Park.

The oddmakers expect the Kiwis to win the grand final replay, installing them the Warriors( $1.65) favourites against the Sea Eagles ($2.25).

"The club's huge off-field dramas combined with a trip to the UK for the World Club Challenge will see the Sea Eagles start as outsiders in that one," sportsbet.com.au spokesman Ben Hawes explained.

"The Knights have one of the best spines in the NRL and with Wayne Bennett in control they will be one of the leading contenders in 2012. They will be primed for that first game against the Saints."

"On paper the Rabbitohs have an outstanding side and with the arrival of Michael Maguire they'll finally click and we think Hasler's Bulldogs will account for Penrith."

In the other round one games, Brisbane ($1.85) will start the post-Darren Lockyer era as slight favourites against Parramatta ($1.95), Melbourne ($1.72) are expected to beat Canberra ($2.12) and the Cowboys are a short $1.40 against the Titans ($2.95).

While Todd Carney's arrival at Shark Park is predicted to boost Cronulla's fortunes in 2012, it's not enough to have them favourites in their clash with Wests Tigers.

They will start $2.55 outsiders against the Benji Marshall-led Tigers, who start at $1.50.

"The arrival of Todd Carney at the Sharks will give them a huge confidence boost but the Tigers look to have them covered across the park," Hawes declared.

So what's changed? We had the same thing last year. The pressure is on kiwis! Fine with me.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the date of the WCC and our match in round 1 are 16 days apart. That should be more then enough time to shake off any Jet lag, and there's no better trial game to shake off the dust then a WCC.
Winning in NZ can be tough at any stage of the year and it can be easy to say the players are a bit rusty in round 1, But the WCC will be no excuse for losing.

$2.55 if it stays that way after the WCC and we dont have any major injuries I like those odds.

Quite a few of the so called experts had us out of the 8 this year due to our young halves duo, I love it GO MANLY

Shoe1 said:
Did one of them just say the knights had one of the best spines? Gimme a break

must have a pretty low opinion of our spine:ballin,dce,foz & snake.
i know which one i'd prefer

Well we lost rd1 2011 to melb and rd1-rd2 2008 to cronulla and knights.

Yet we took the crown in style both yrs.

Moral - Its long season

The Telecrap are just itching for us to drop rd 1 so they can put the boot in and stir up hysteria with smart ass I told you so articles .

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2