Fire Dan Ferris Immediately

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Good to see you stick to your guns no matter how wrong you are @Ryan That is admirable. The first 20 minutes were nothing to do with fitness, it was all attitude. As you say the last part of the game we finished admirally. If we were unfit we would have just got worst the longer we went. I know when I exercise I sure as hell do not feel better the longer I go.

But I do agree something is not right there. It may be the defensive coach, maybe the coach, maybe the fact we are a team rebuilding, might be the fact we had 3 games in 10 days. I do not know and I do not pretend to know. But one thing the majority agree on is that the first 20 minutes was nothing to do with lack of fitness.

It's a common theme (and has been for many years), that you have to "match it with the opposition early". My opinion is, if we do that, we completely gas, and we struggle for the remainder.

Therefore, I DO think it's a strategy or structure to remain "even keel" during the opening phases of the game. But I put that down to inability to play up tempo for 80 minutes.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we've seen it 4 out of the 5 games so far.

We were poor for the first 20, but 3 games in 10 days is mentally tough never mind, physically. It's like a constant sprint that you can't have a rest with. The build up to a game is intense, then when you play it's like a release, and you recover for the next 3 days or so, before the intensity of the prep kicks back in. We just have not had that time with the schedule.

Either we didn't get enough intense prep, or too many of the players were still mentally fatigued - it's gonna take it's toll. I think it did in the first 20, before the natural competitive instincts and adrenaline kick in and the fatigue fades. Been there loads of times.

What I will say is to dominate that Souths pack for 60 minutes, given the schedule and you take in to account the improvement of Myles and Vave from week 1... I really don't have an issue with the S&C staff/programme.

I'd agree Gib, if we hadn't seen it 4 out of the first 5 games mate.

C'mon guys lets chill out a bit we had the whole of the 2nd half.If we had a decent kicker to put the ball in the in goal on our last tackle & get a few repeated sets back it may have been a different game.

I'd agree Gib, if we hadn't seen it 4 out of the first 5 games mate.

I've wiped rounds 1 and 2 from my mind completely haha so they don't count!

In all seriousness we were absolutely garbage for the full 160 minutes over round 1 and 2. That was just lack of quality + structure, not fitness.

Sharks effort in first 20 I'm putting down to lack of confidence v a team high in confidence with rhythm, instead of fatigue.

I think you may have hit on a point that we start slow, but just maybe not for the reason you think.

We were poor for the first 20, but 3 games in 10 days is mentally tough never mind, physically. It's like a constant sprint that you can't have a rest with. The build up to a game is intense, then when you play it's like a release, and you recover for the next 3 days or so, before the intensity of the prep kicks back in. We just have not had that time with the schedule.

Either we didn't get enough intense prep, or too many of the players were still mentally fatigued - it's gonna take it's toll. I think it did in the first 20, before the natural competitive instincts and adrenaline kick in and the fatigue fades. Been there loads of times.

What I will say is to dominate that Souths pack for 60 minutes, given the schedule and you take in to account the improvement of Myles and Vave from week 1... I really don't have an issue with the S&C staff/programme.

Exactly.

I noticed on fox sports that they had a graph tonight showing we were part of 3 teams having 4, 5 day turn arounds this season.

What wasn't included in the graph was that our 4 5 days came in the first 6 rounds.

The real impact of this scheduling is being overlooked because its manly. Manly are perennial whingers.

Enough of sterotyping the NRL done ****ed up. Fix your joke you second rate sports administration. Smithgreenturd.

Zero to do with fitness
Mental fatigue, lack of energy, attitude....& some dubious play the balls 2 metres off the mark early.
Truth be known, I feel Jakes dominant defence left his mates wondering where to FILL IN the holes in that ruck early when the damage was done....then realised they all needed more intent individually & dig in to a man , to allow 0 points after that early onslaught.
Imo, the issue was the start & though ppl now rate Jakes defence big time....Souths simply don't get that domination in that opening 15 minutes with him there.
I understand DCE was a big loss, particularly his kicking, but the player missing in this physical bash & barge game , was Jake....forget the fitness theory.

It's a common theme (and has been for many years), that you have to "match it with the opposition early". My opinion is, if we do that, we completely gas, and we struggle for the remainder.

Therefore, I DO think it's a strategy or structure to remain "even keel" during the opening phases of the game. But I put that down to inability to play up tempo for 80 minutes.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we've seen it 4 out of the 5 games so far.

@Ryan I do not understand what you are saying here. But maybe its the wines I had in the city before coming home and the rums during the game.

You say we have to match it with the opposition early and if we do that we struggle for the remainder of the game as we are gassed. The facts are that has not happened. We have not matched it against many teams earlier. Tonight and against the sharks and to a lesser degree the tigers we did not match the opposition early, we got behind yet still game back to either win or be in the game. That is not a fitness issue.

Playing an up tempo game for 80 minutes does not automatically mean fitness. It is controlling the game and having the mental capacity to do so. The fact is we always compete (bar dogs game) and realistically have looked the fitter side at the end of most of our games.

Look I love Donny. He was treated very poorly but lets not judge our current guy based on that.

Zero to do with fitness
Mental fatigue, lack of energy, attitude....& some dubious play the balls 2 metres off the mark early.
Truth be known, I feel Jakes dominant defence left his mates wondering where to FILL IN the holes in that ruck early when the damage was done....then realised they all needed more intent individually & dig in to a man , to allow 0 points after that early onslaught.
Imo, the issue was the start & though ppl now rate Jakes defence big time....Souths simply don't get that domination in that opening 15 minutes with him there.
I understand DCE was a big loss, particularly his kicking, but the player missing in this physical bash & barge game , was Jake....forget the fitness theory.

He is a machine defensively at marker. Having him, and Buhrer on the field together will really glue up that early attack against us.

@Ryan I do not understand what you are saying here. But maybe its the wines I had in the city before coming home and the rums during the game.

You say we have to match it with the opposition early and if we do that we struggle for the remainder of the game as we are gassed. The facts are that has not happened. We have not matched it against many teams earlier. Tonight and against the sharks and to a lesser degree the tigers we did not match the opposition early, we got behind yet still game back to either win or be in the game. That is not a fitness issue.

Playing an up tempo game for 80 minutes does not automatically mean fitness. It is controlling the game and having the mental capacity to do so. The fact is we always compete and realistically have looked the fitter side at the end of most of our games.

Look I love Donny. He was treated very poorly but lets not judge our current guy based on that.

LOL. Have a cup of tea mate....it's Thursday and your hitting it hard ! Hahaha

Nah, it's that I feel we are attempting to be even keeled through fear of gassing. I don't doubt Barrett & others are smart enough to know exactly the fitness levels of our players.

I think we certainly have another gear (especially early) - so why aren't we getting there (especially defensively?).

It's strategy and structure imo. Why then, would Barrett institute this type of play style?

LOL. Have a cup of tea mate....it's Thursday and your hitting it hard ! Hahaha

Nah, it's that I feel we are attempting to be even keeled through fear of gassing. I don't doubt Barrett & others are smart enough to know exactly the fitness levels of our players.

I think we certainly have another gear (especially early) - so why aren't we getting there (especially defensively?).

It's strategy and structure imo. Why then, would Barrett institute this type of play style?

I have a rubber arm and some mates were downstairs having a drink and I cant say no to a couple of cheeky ones. But yes a tea would be good.

So its strategy and structure not fitness now :)

I have a rubber arm and some mates were downstairs having a drink and I cant say no to a couple of cheeky ones. But yes a tea would be good.

So its strategy and structure not fitness now :)

Yes, strategy and structure becaaaaause ....... you can say iiiit ;)

Ryan, cut your losses. What team wouldn't look tired after playing 3 big games in ten days?
Before posting next time, maybe you should take 10 seconds to think about it.

Its a team game ,we all knew it would be ATLEAST 5 games to get some cohesion playing together.It is coming ,but we need to give team & coaches a few more weeks.And THEN we will be back..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7