• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It was a massive call. A win to the Eagles would have had us on 5 wins and Titans on 6. Now it's Titans 7, Sea Eagles 4. There is still time for us to come back though. The team is definitely improving. Let's hope the refereeing does.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
“The silly thing about some of what is being said in the aftermath is that if we had still had one referee he would have been in a significantly worse position to make that decision than Matt was yesterday.”

I don't see how having only one referee could have made it worse. Its not like they could have got it any more wrong.

swoop link said:
Finch won't say it's the wrong decision. He'd be admitting 2 wrongs in 2 weeks, we can't have that. ::)
And that is the real agenda. He has to be seen to support his refs as he has to stay onside with them and keep up their credibility.

Best way to do that. Go back to one ref and use the video ref in contentious decsions. At the moment two refs is causing too much confusion.

Maybe each coach should have what they have in NLF (and tennis). Two challenges that remain if the decision is the same as the coaches call.

Canteen Worker link said:
Maybe each coach should have what they have in NLF (and tennis). Two challenges that remain if the decision is the same as the coaches call.
  That wouldn't have worked for the Bulldogs last week.  Where do you go to when the video ref has made the howler?

Matabele link said:
I wonder what Finch would say if the penalty had gone against the Storm?
The Bulldogs were a News Ltd Superleague team. And St George and Manly weren't.

There has not been one player or coach involved who has come out in support of the atrocious refereeing decision.  The Titans are clearly feeling embarrased and empty about the gifting of the game to them.  Here's what Preston Campbell had to say:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/25/2579964.htm

Even Campbell said he was surprised to be awarded a penalty.

"I'd thought he was just making a play at the ball to be honest," he said.

"My initial thought was when I got up, or when I heard the whistle blow, that he knocked it on.

"But when I saw his (Cecchin's) arm up in the air, I thought well that's one better."

------------------------

And now look at what the referees have to say:

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/harrigan-hits-out-at-nrl-coaches-20090525-bkmk.html

Harrigan, who now works as a video referee in addition to being assistant to NRL referees coach Robert Finch, said the criticism aimed at Matt Cecchin after his decision to award Gold Coast a last-minute penalty against Manly on Sunday was unfair.

"I cannot see why they are having a whinge about inexperienced referees .. in that game you had a Manly rookie player (Tony Williams) dropping the ball over the line instead of scoring the try and nothing is said," Harrigan told AAP.

"Then you get a referee blowing for a player being taken out, which we in our camp felt was a close decision, and then you get Manly jumping up and down saying he was the junior referee and he has made a bad blue.

-------------------------------------------------

Finch is Harrigan's puppet and Harrigan is the News Ltd Manly-hating show pony who has dominated the refereeing stance for decades now.

Titans captain Scott Prince was just on the 9 Today show, and also agreed with Vossie "we were pretty lucky but we'll take a win any day!!!"

Ox was just going for the ball, Preston just fell over him, it's a disgrace!!

Finch is now suggesting Hasler will be responsible for future fan attacks on referees.  All the while holding the line on chechin's experience - glossing over his 30 games since a debut in 2001!

If a first grader were to play 30 games in eight seasons everyone would know he is crap.

This immaturity shouldn't be anywhere near referee's should it?

"I cannot see why they are having a whinge about inexperienced referees .. in that game you had a Manly rookie player (Tony Williams) dropping the ball over the line instead of scoring the try and nothing is said," Harrigan told AAP.

Ryan link said:
This immaturity shouldn't be anywhere near referee's should it?

\"I cannot see why they are having a whinge about inexperienced referees .. in that game you had a Manly rookie player (Tony Williams) dropping the ball over the line instead of scoring the try and nothing is said,\" Harrigan told AAP.

and Tony Williams had to face the music, and there was a turnover against Manly.
He paid the price for his mistake.

What price did Cecchin pay? Nada!

What a clown!

Interesting that Finch attacked Hasler and the players.  No concession that Chechin stuffed up.  Bizarre that a NRL official would attack a NRL team when defending the indefensible.

I can cop it when a referee misses something - such as a forward pass or calls a knock on a knock back or he misses an obstruction.

BUT when they see something that is not there I am far less tolerant.

- things such as a knock back that they call a knock on, a flat pass called forward or an obstruction that isn't there.

They should be certain before they make a call . Therefore if they are not certain then they should not make a call. When referees err in this way they are guessing and when they stuff up by guessing wrong the fans are entiltled to be pissed off

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
I can cop it when a referee misses something - such as a forward pass or calls a knock on a knock back or he misses an obstruction.

BUT when they see something that is not there I am far less tolerant.

- things such as a knock back that they call a knock on, a flat pass called forward or an obstruction that isn't there.

They should be certain before they make a call . Therefore if they are not certain then they should not make a call. When referees err in this way they are guessing and when they stuff up by guessing wrong the fans are entiltled to be pissed off
Great post. Pity Finch doesn't listen to you.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4