Finals hold 'em

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Finals hold 'em

IT'S not quite attempting to get away with murder, but South Sydney coach Jason Taylor says the Rabbitohs are supremely confident they can save David Fa'alogo's National Rugby League season.

Fa'alogo will join New Zealand Test teammate Sonny Bill Williams in heading to the NRL judiciary tonight, with Williams to seek a downgrade on his grade-two striking charge. Fa'alogo will risk a seven-match ban by pleading not guilty to his grade-four striking charge for his hit on Sydney Roosters pivot Braith Anasta last Saturday night.

The fearsome back-rower could have taken a five-game ban with an early plea, but that still would have ended his finals campaign and ruled him out of next month's Test against Australia.

Instead Taylor said the Bunnies were confident they had a case which could clear Fa'alogo to play against Manly on Saturday night.

"We feel there is something that we can defend there," Taylor said.

"I don't really want to talk too much about it, there'll be plenty of press about it once it's done. We do want to defend Dave because we don't think it's as black and white as it looks."

It is believed they will argue that an Anasta grapple tackle provoked Fa'alogo into taking matters into his own hands.

The Bunnies were reportedly upset that referee Ben Cummins had missed several grapple tackles earlier in the game.

Fa'alogo apologised to the club and its fans yesterday and said he retaliated because he was being choked. He will be represented by prominent Sydney barrister Geoff Bellew, a director at Manly Leagues Club.

Souths co-owner Peter Holmes a Court said he found it staggering Anasta escaped scrutiny for his alleged grapple tackle.

"I don't understand why it's OK to strangle a player and you don't get charged for that," Holmes a Court said.

"I'm disappointed you can put that much pressure on someone's windpipe and apparently it's not a problem."

Williams will risk an extra week's suspension in the hope of missing only Saturday night's trip to Townsville to take on the Cowboys.

He pleaded guilty to striking North Queensland star Johnathan Thurston but will argue that the grade two charge should be reduced to grade one.

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes said the club was not only taking the punt because of the importance of the finals series.

"We would have contested it whether it was the middle of the season or the finals - we don't believe it's a grade two charge," Folkes said.

"We've seen a number of grade twos and grade ones and we think it's more in line with the grade ones.

"We think they're all worse the Sonny's - most of them were leading with an elbow whereas Sonny's was leading with his hands up and trying to push him over."

The Kiwi international forward would have received a two-match ban if he accepted the early plea.

If he is unsuccessful tonight he'll be ruled out for three matches, meaning the Bulldogs would have to make the grand final for Williams to play again this season.

Finals hold 'em

If he and SBW get off then it will be open slather during the semi's.

Provocation excuse didn;t help danny Williams when he got suspended for punching the tiggers player.

Finals hold 'em

Even if they get evidence that Anasta's tackle was a serious infringement (like he had had a pair of pliers applied to his nuts :roll: ) I still think he will get a week at the minimum.

SBW will get at least 2 weeks.

Finals hold 'em

Yep great defense Souths. Got what it deserved.

As for Sonny Bill, blind Freddy could see that his charge would be downgraded.

Finals hold 'em

I still can't see how you can put an elbow into the head of a play-maker who has just kicked the ball and it is only one week.

Finals hold 'em

So what was their defense and what did they get. I was at puppy school

Finals hold 'em

tbh I thought 1 week is probably fair for the shot, did not have much force in it. Although I agree if it was someone else it would have been a longer suspension.

Finals hold 'em

I am ok with 1 week, the way SB acted immediatley after the shot no doubt helped his cause as well. As soon as he did it, he looked down at Thurston to make sure he was ok and looked like he apologised, which pretty much guaranteed a careless charge, rather than reclkess.

Finals hold 'em

I am ok with 1 week, the way SB acted immediatley after the shot no doubt helped his cause as well. As soon as he did it, he looked down at Thurston to make sure he was ok and looked like he apologised, which pretty much guaranteed a careless charge, rather than reclkess.

Of course that must now be the conditional element to be considered prior to any act of rule contravention. A contritional display for channel 9. :roll:

Finals hold 'em

A punch to the mouth, 7 weeks, a elbow to the side of teh head 1 week?.

I know there were loadings, guilty pleas, non guilty pleas etc but at the end of the day the suspensions are both unjust. Try to explain that to the avergae guy in the steet and he like me will be left pondering the consistency of the judiciary.

Whilst I don't suspect any conspiracy theories the NRL leave themselves open to this allegation whilst ever decisions like this are handed down.

Finals hold 'em

I can't understand how Sonny Bill got such a light sentence - especially when the Souths defence was that David (Can't be bothered spelling his surname) was supposedly provoked.

The wack the head in the elbow but say sorrry defence doesn't cut it with me.

If this was Manly prior to SuperLeague the other clubs would be screaming bias and favouritism etc.

Finals hold 'em

Whether SBW meant it or not we will never know. I can only judge him by his actions, as did the judiciary. I have done it before too, its the opening minute of the game, you are trying to stamp your authority, you go in for a big hit and you mis-judge it and get the bloke a bit high. It happens and its a fine line. That has to be taken into account.

The difference between that and getting up and KING hitting a bloke is huge, the 2 cant even be compared. Fa'alogo had no defense, he got up with every intention of punching Anasta smack in the face.

Finals hold 'em

agree with you Clon...chalk and cheese.

Sonny's hit was high, but as soon as he hit Thurston he pulled back and didn't follow through with the force, probably after realising where he had hit him. Careless, not reckless or intentional. Still deserves a week or two, but nothing too drastic.

Finals hold 'em

agree with you Clon...chalk and cheese.

Sonny's hit was high, but as soon as he hit Thurston he pulled back and didn't follow through with the force, probably after realising where he had hit him. Careless, not reckless or intentional. Still deserves a week or two, but nothing too drastic.

If I am ever unfortunate enough to run into the back of someone at a set of lights or a Stop Sign I will make sure that I slam on the brakes and apologise profulsey to poor bastard that I just slammed into the back off.

That should get me off any charges and ensure that I do not lose my no claim bonus.

I am doubting that SBW did not intentionally hit Thurston in the head, but he did. Thurston, like all kickers should be protected, the hit was late, the forearm was raised.

I am sorry gents but if that is not worth more than 1 week then the system is flawed. And lets not forget that SBW also has anti cedence for a not dissimilar offence.

Full marks to his legal team, they get a guilty man a lesser sentence than was warranted.

Finals hold 'em

silly comparison, but anyway, let's play.....Sonny Bill did not get off, so you will still be charged and it will still effect your no claim bonus. However, you, like Sonny, will not be charged with purposely ramming into another with intention to cause harm.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4