Feleti Mateo.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Snake said:
I like the fact that he is a different style of player to anything we have at the club currently. We need a threat around the middle of the ruck, and this guy can create second phase play and pull a rabbit out of a hat. Our halves should thrive with Mateo and Mason offloading the ball ad-lib. It will create more options, as we looked almost too structured at times in attack last year; if our sweeping plays weren't doing the trick, we offered very little variation.

Once he develops a combination with Snake running on to his offloads they will cause mayhem for the opposition.

Rodo said:
Eagleheart said:
I am a little concerned about this signing.....!

I have read somewhere that we have paid 600k including TPs, I hope this is not true because that is far too much money IMO. He is simply not worth that much coin. His last two seasons have not been anything really to rave about. And I dont think the Warriors are loosing much sleep if any, over letting him go.

Anyway this is all just my opinion and not based on months of in depth player research. I guess time will tell and I really hope I am proven wrong and he fires in 2015, but I just dont know if that will happen.

:s

Where did you read that? There is no way he would be getting that amount of money.

I read it here

http://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/mateo-set-to-leave-the-warriors.39794/page-2

And the post is as follows:

.............."I'm surprised Manly paid so much for him. 600k including TPs is a lot. Apparently Toovey convinced the board they need an attacking maestro to balance out their workmanlike pack. But what tipped it is that Foran's agent has been dicking them around. They don't want to break Lyon and Matai up. Mateo as back-up 6 but mostly 13..

The upside of all this is that Matai's pisséd at rumours of Matai's pay packet. Man the plot thickens...He tried to get my source to confirm the amount.

I have no idea how this will end. It sounds like days of our lives.".........

Obviously I am not sure if any of that post is true though....! :blush:

Ralphie said:
Snake said:
I like the fact that he is a different style of player to anything we have at the club currently. We need a threat around the middle of the ruck, and this guy can create second phase play and pull a rabbit out of a hat. Our halves should thrive with Mateo and Mason offloading the ball ad-lib. It will create more options, as we looked almost too structured at times in attack last year; if our sweeping plays weren't doing the trick, we offered very little variation.

Once he develops a combination with Snake running on to his offloads they will cause mayhem for the opposition.

i was thinking the same thing Ralphie, if Mateo fires Snake will be up the top of the tryscoring charts.

Eagleheart said:
Rodo said:
Eagleheart said:
I am a little concerned about this signing.....!

I have read somewhere that we have paid 600k including TPs, I hope this is not true because that is far too much money IMO. He is simply not worth that much coin. His last two seasons have not been anything really to rave about. And I dont think the Warriors are loosing much sleep if any, over letting him go.

Anyway this is all just my opinion and not based on months of in depth player research. I guess time will tell and I really hope I am proven wrong and he fires in 2015, but I just dont know if that will happen.

:s

Where did you read that? There is no way he would be getting that amount of money.

I read it here

http://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/mateo-set-to-leave-the-warriors.39794/page-2

And the post is as follows:

.............."I'm surprised Manly paid so much for him. 600k including TPs is a lot. Apparently Toovey convinced the board they need an attacking maestro to balance out their workmanlike pack. But what tipped it is that Foran's agent has been dicking them around. They don't want to break Lyon and Matai up. Mateo as back-up 6 but mostly 13..

The upside of all this is that Matai's pisséd at rumours of Matai's pay packet. Man the plot thickens...He tried to get my source to confirm the amount.

I have no idea how this will end. It sounds like days of our lives.".........

Obviously I am not sure if any of that post is true though....! :blush:

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound good. I was hoping that all the off-field issues would go away now that Choc has left.

It would be a very bad move by management if true. Let's hope it's not, otherwise Manly will have some very disgruntled players and will have to go through all this again with Matai, Snake and Foran.

Ralphie said:
He went alright in 2011, just had a bad game in the big one.
Really? I distinctly remember an offload he made to Maloney in that game that sparked the Warriors back into it.

Ceagle said:
Ralphie said:
Really? I distinctly remember an offload he made to Maloney in that game that sparked the Warriors back into it.

I'm pretty sure that is a typo in the original post on the Warriors forum. It should have read

"The upside of all this is that Matai's pisséd at rumours of Mateo's pay packet. Man the plot thickens...He tried to get my source to confirm the amount."

There's a bit more about this in the Warriors thread.

And The Mole responded to a tweet where someone asked whether Snake and Matai would follow Choc and his reply was "one of them". This may be just speculation but it won't be a happy team if Mateo is getting anywhere near the 600K mark.

Ceagle said:
Ralphie said:

Hmmm, if one good offload in a game makes for a good game then Chris Bailey played many more good games for us than I first recalled.:p

The 600K isn't clear. Is it over 2 years? How much is covered by the Warriors? Is the 600K quote even correct?

Too many unknown variables to seriously bother with this rumour, and it's effect on the players.

That 7.45-minute highlights package should be cut down to 2-minutes because every 'highlight' is replayed four times from different angles.
However, he has good skills and we need a ball-playing forward.
If he is on $600,000, as rumoured, then the Worriers must be paying half for the first year - surely.

Bloody hell just be happy and give it a rest guys what has happened happened onward and upward guys and dont listen to **** rumours.

Why do we need a good ball playing forward? We need go forward. I doubt Mateo will gain the meters Choc did each week.

We need a ball playing forward because we just bought Vave, Tetavano and Mason to add to Starling, Lui and Lawrence(you could probably throw in the elephant man,Jake T and Sao as well) With the exception of Willy none of those guys have thrown a pass since Parra last won the comp.How many crash and barge merchants are needed!

We need a link to a classy backline that can play off intuition and he provides that second phase both before and at the line that no one else really has.Leary has a nice step and pass but plays wide on the fringes, as Red and Buhrer will.Mateo can cause serious damagee in behind the ruck and wider if we can get him going.

And anyone who thinks we paid him 600k needs to have a long lie down.I can think of very few forwards in the entire comp who get that.It is simply ridiculous.

He hasn't been while at the Warriors, but was at the Squeals in his younger days.

Remember that try Brett Stewart scored against the Broncos at Brookie this year. A great off load from Jamie Buhrer to Foran who ran through the space created to put Snake away. We're going to see a lot more plays like that with Mateo on board. Can't wait.

susan said:
We need a ball playing forward because we just bought Vave, Tetavano and Mason to add to Starling, Lui and Lawrence(you could probably throw in the elephant man,Jake T and Sao as well) With the exception of Willy none of those guys have thrown a pass since Parra last won the comp.How many crash and barge merchants are needed!

We need a link to a classy backline that can play off intuition and he provides that second phase both before and at the line that no one else really has.Leary has a nice step and pass but plays wide on the fringes, as Red and Buhrer will.Mateo can cause serious damagee in behind the ruck and wider if we can get him going.

And anyone who thinks we paid him 600k needs to have a long lie down.I can think of very few forwards in the entire comp who get that.It is simply ridiculous.

That's not quite right Susan! Turbo in particular has excellent slight of hand playing through the line, I think Sao has some handy offloads in him too! But point taken the guys who will be playing first grade will be lacking in that department. However we don't have a nippy hooker patrolling the middle third to capitalise on it anyway, opportunities will be made on the fringes by Buhrer and Feleti where we are well served with offloading talent!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2