Fed up Manly coach Geoff Toovey says he’s upset at attempts to discredit and destabilise his club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Pound for pound, he was the toughest player to ever pull on a Manly jumper. And after sitting back for months and watching cheap shots aimed at his players and his own coaching credibility, Geoff Toovey has had a gutful.

Sea Eagles boss Joe Kelly publicly guaranteed Toovey’s job until the end of 2016 and categorically denied any interest in signing Brad Arthur or Des Hasler, as Toovey conceded he was “upset” by what he labelled attempts to discredit his club.

138704-a005ebc6-ac38-11e4-8880-5b7e88842fd6.jpg

New CEO, Joe Kelly with Manly Sea Eagles Chairman, Scott Penn. Picture: Bradley Hunter

“To say I have lost the dressing shed I think is ridiculous,” a clearly fed up Toovey told The Daily Telegraph.

“I am upset that people would try and discredit this club again and try and create instability.

“You would have to look for the (real) reason why people would want to create such instability.

“Is it forces outside our club trying to create instability so they can poach some of our players?

“The players internally know the untruths about the whole situation.”

There has been speculation Manly have sounded out Arthur and even Hasler about a possible return to replace Toovey if the Sea Eagles fail to fire in 2015.

But on Wednesday Kelly point-blank denied Toovey was under any pressure.

Asked if Toovey would see out his contract, Kelly said: “Absolutely.

He is on a contract for two more years.”

Ken Arthurson on Manly trying to hold on to star players
external

Asked if there was any truth to the rumour they were hunting Arthur, Kelly said: “No truth.”

Hasler?

“No.”

So Toovey’s job is 100 per cent safe?

“Absolutely,” Kelly maintained.

Toovey was also adamant all players were on board after the difficulties of last year, including Brett Stewart.

“He has been training the house down and he has a great attitude,” Toovey said.

“I think we are going to have a big season from him.

“I had a couple of the senior players come in today (following reports he had lost the dressing room) and they said; ‘this is crazy, what’s going on’.

138987-23ce88b2-ac36-11e4-8880-5b7e88842fd6.jpg

Geoff Toovey in the players lounge at the NRL Auckland Nines. pic Mark Evans

“And I said you can’t stop people trying to create instability.

“(The players) are very upset that these things are being written about them but with such a successful club, people do try to bring you down.”

In Toovey’s three years in charge since taking over from Hasler, Manly haven’t missed the finals.

They made the grand final in 2013 and last year got knocked out by the Bulldogs in golden point.

Toovey does not hide from the fact last year was extremely emotional given the circumstances that surrounded Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough’s departure, but he maintained the players were now focused.

Even amid the circus surrounding off-contract halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans.

Kelly revealed the club had officially made formal offers to both Foran and Cherry-Evans.

Manly Sea Eagles winger David Williams looking forward to NRL return
external

Asked if it was financially possible to keep both, Toovey said: “I am hoping so and the quicker it can be decided the better for all concerned.”

There has also been talk some of the club’s outdated and under-resourced facilities were another reason the star halves might want out.

Since coming over from South Sydney, Kelly has seen first-hand the challenge facing the players and coaching staff compared to what he left behind and as a result he has given the go-ahead to pump about $500,000 annually into off-field medical and rehab improvements.

Yet Toovey was also adamant sports science alone was not the sole secret to the Sea Eagles’ ongoing success.

“As I tell the players who come here, there is more to this club than just playing football,” Toovey said.

“Some things could be better but it is a great place to work and live and it is also what you do away from football that is important.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...abilise-his-club/story-fnp0lyn3-1227208139013

Last edited by a moderator:
About time, we need to get really agressive with addressing these rumours and show that we cant be picked apart by the media anymore, lets refuse to be bullied

I must say this is good news. It would be a disastrous decision to punt a club legend in this manner. No doubt he is our next premiership coach.

I never since such an organised campaign to de-rail our club from the enemies outside of our club. I expect the last decade has just driven them to this and they cant stand that we are a highly successful club.

Toovey needs to come out swinging and put to rest the nonsense that is being peddled. Brad Arthur is a whining worm now, the club has moved on and Hasler burnt his bridges a long time ago, move on haters!

Good to see 2v getting out and hitting back at the media.

We are all sick of the media trashing manly so its nice to see the club fight. Also shows the players the club is invested in protecting them.

What irks me, Is these same papers who have arsehole journo's on the books with no moral compass when it comes to lying. They create the lies rumours and garbage and then they are the same papers that print our clubs side of the story as if they are somehow in the know and have the scoop and with no retraction of the original lies. We are being forced to defend ourselves even though the stories are blatant attempt to de-stabilise and are simply made up to create a salacious story to sell papers. Toovey and other coaches should sue these papers for defamation, its akin to someone having an opinion on the way you do your job and then printing lies in the papers that are detrimental to your career, without any evidence, and then leaving you to defend yourself, whilst the coaches career may be left in tatters.
These coaches aren't like politicians they are not elected into these roles so therefore papers shouldn't be allowed to destroy their credibility with unsubstantiated rumours and lies.

It makes me laugh that all the papers said that we were the innovators when it came to sports science. Souths win 1 premiership and Joe Kelly looks at our setup like its archaic?? Please??? Souths and the rest of them have only copied what we have done to get to where they are. We are the cutting edge, not these jerks.

What irks me, Is these same papers who have arsehole journo's on the books with no moral compass when it comes to lying.

They create the lies rumours and garbage and then they are the same papers that print our clubs side of the story as if they are somehow in the know and have the scoop and with no retraction of the original lies.

We are being forced to defend ourselves even though the stories are blatant attempt to de-stabilise and are simply made up to create a salacious story to sell papers.

Toovey and other coaches should sue these papers for defamation, its akin to someone having an opinion on the way you do your job and then printing lies in the papers that are detrimental to your career, without any evidence, and then leaving you to defend yourself, whilst the coaches career may be left in tatters.

Thank you for saving me for having to type this! I always think it's a real shame they have to go to the same paper slamming them...to print their side of the story.

(Although they could try putting it on the Manly website...maybe?)

They are just trying to wind us up, we all know what happens... We'll go into the finals this season, again!!!!

"There has also been talk some of the club’s outdated and under-resourced facilities were another reason the star halves might want out."

Aren't we using the NSW Institute of Sport facilities? I understand the clubs cost for things like rehab, staff and sciency stuff, but surely the facilities themselves are likely to be far from outdated.

To quote Toovey "forces from outside the club" - so for all those clowns who have recently saying Zorba has been leaking these stories maybe just read the article again!

4 grand finals and 2 premierships in the last 8 seasons. 10 finals series in a row and we have outdated and archaic resources that aren't good enough to keep star players. WTF, how bad must the other 15 clubs facilities be then. Another round of bullsht News Ltd fantasy.

Ahh this is why you have to love this club and the little champion who is coach. It's us against the world. And I reckon we will win just quietly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6