Favourite Memories of this current Golden Generation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
I'm not eulogizing our current golden generation (10 semi final appearances in a row), more wanting to celebrate it, and wondered what have been peoples favourite memories/moments of that period.

Excluding the Grand Final Victories. Those I'm sure are everyones top memories of this remarkable run and team.

Here are some of mine (in no particular order)

1. Signing Jamie Lyon (you could smell that premiership coming)
2. Snakes 100th try (after his injuries and setback I wondered was he gone....and that gallop he did...Fantastic!)
3. The try Snake scored against the Tigers in 2006 where Orford chipped it and Snake leapt above Marshall to win the game.
4. Smashing the Rabbits in the Grand Final Qualifier last year.
5. Smashing the Rooster 56-0 at Brookie in 2007 (I went with my father in law....Roosters fan....he was speechless for a week)
6. DCE's wonder try in 2011 (chip from Foz to Snake...perfect hands to DCE)
7. Glenn Hall and Choc smashing Crocker in the 2008 GF and high fiving and laughing (ok I went back on the GF stuff, but that was gold!)

There's plenty more, would love to hear some from people!

- your #3! What a try and what a finish.
- beating the bunnies on a horror wet night at Brookie in 2007 in their first final's appearance since 1987
- ok, cheating now. Brett Kite scoring in the GF in 2008. That was when I knew it was all over.
- is this too old? - the Monas chip and regather in 2005 vs the chooks
- big George Rose's sidestep on doggie Ennis in 2012
- TRex using Slater as a speed-bump in 2010

I'm honestly not trying too hard here. We are lucky to follow a team that delivers.

1. 2008 THAT BEAVER TRY in the GF.
2. 2008 GF 70000 people chanting Maaaaaannlyyy.
3. Gift brilliant kick, try, 2011 GF just before halftime.
4. Wolfman 2013 prelim final. Miracle try that crushed the vermin's hopes and dreams.
5. Wolfman try last minute win at Suncorp over the donkeys.
6. Oldfield last minute try at Shark park to crush the gummies.
7. The battle of brookie. The last great night of old school rugby league.

ManlyBacker said:
- your #3! What a try and what a finish.
- beating the bunnies on a horror wet night at Brookie in 2007 in their first final's appearance since 1987
- ok, cheating now. Brett Kite scoring in the GF in 2008. That was when I knew it was all over.
- is this too old? - the Monas chip and regather in 2005 vs the chooks
- big George Rose's sidestep on doggie Ennis in 2012
- TRex using Slater as a speed-bump in 2010

I'm honestly not trying too hard here. We are lucky to follow a team that delivers.

That Monas try, are you sure that wasn't against the doggies?

I do recall a lovely chip by Monas to win us a Friday night game in around 2005.

Not sure TRex qualifies as one of the golden generation (he was part of a GF winning team) but watching him sending spoon-bound cheat Slater flying en route to the try line in 2010 was unforgettable!

So many Wolfman highlights including howling at the full moon over Brookie and finishing off that great team try to steal a last minute win in Brissie in 2012.

Sorry to the people thinking of the children but watching so many Sea Eagles sprint across Brookie Oval with the intention of fighting cheating purple scum players in 2011 will always be a great memory as it made me feel like our team hated them as much as us fans.

Edit: All mentioned above I see. I must be on to something!

I will add the awesome moment when the 2013 team let Souffs score in the last minute of the prelim final just to prolong their agony having to wait a couple more minutes watching replays with the vidiots. We were cheering so loud when Luke kicked the conversation from the sideline for NOTHING!

Awesome atmosphere at SFS in 2011.

Will long remember the chant of 30,000 fans .... MMMAAAAANLYYY

Manly reaches final over Lockyer's Broncos

PHOTO: Fast start ... Manly got on the board early thanks to a Matt Ballin try.
PHOTO: End of an era ... Darren Lockyer watches the Broncos' season and hopes of an NRL grand final swansong slip away.

Manly will meet either Melbourne or the Warriors in next Sunday's grand final after an electric 26-14 win over Brisbane that ended talismanic skipper Darren Lockyer's storied career.

Lockyer withdrew from the Broncos line-up on Wednesday morning, just over 72 hours after having metal plates inserted in his face to repair a cheekbone fracture sustained in last Sunday's semi-final win over St George Illawarra.

But even if the veteran five-eighth had played, the Sea Eagles' lightning attack would have been difficult to counter as the 2008 premiers ran in five tries to three in front of more than 30,000 fans at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Broncos coach Anthony Griffin refused to attribute his side's under-par performance to Lockyer's mid-week withdrawal.

"I don't want to make that an excuse, we had a great preparation," he told Grandstand.

"For some reason we just put ourselves in a bad position.

"They've been great since we played Melbourne, we haven't lost a game and we've been playing some really high-intensity arm-wrestle footy.

"Unfortunately tonight we never got a chance to really get the game into that mode because we were chasing our tail all night."

Impressive utility Matt Gillett pulled on the number six jumper in Lockyer's stead, bringing David Hala onto the bench, but he lacked the tactical brilliance of his retiring captain.

The Queensland and Australia captain watched from the sidelines in a hoodie as the penalty count went against his team-mates 5-1 in the first 40 minutes and they were unable to regain the ground in the second stanza.

But the Sea Eagles' premiership hopes could suffer a harsh blow with two of their stars cited for dangerous conduct in the second half.

Tony Williams and Steve Matai both went on report for hard hits on Jharal Yow Yeh within minutes of each other that left the young Broncos winger in a world of hurt.

Williams was booked for a stiff-armed high tackle that hit the Queensland and Australia number five in the throat just moments before Matai led with his left knee and struck the youngster in the ribs when he came in late to prevent Yow Yeh's dive for the try line.

Matai has carryover points for a striking charge on Jason Nightingale during June that saw him take an early guilty plea and a one-week ban, meaning he will almost definitely miss the decider.

The onslaught began early when Manly capitalised on back-to-back penalties to surge deep into Broncos territory before Matt Ballin eventually touched down for the opening points.

Young Broncos winger Dale Copley committed two careless mistakes within minutes of each other, the latter opening the door for Sea Eagles half Daly Cherry-Evans to put Will Hopoate over.

Manly hit the Brisbane lines hard, quickly and repeatedly and the visitors looked a tired shadow of their usually impressive selves as they trailed 16-4 at the break.

Broncos fans could hold onto hope of a comeback similar to their side's 2006 preliminary final win at the same venue.

On that Friday night, the Bulldogs led 20-6 at the break before letting Brisbane score 30 unanswered points to book a place in the grand final the visitors eventually won over Melbourne.

The same result looked further and further from the Broncos' grasp when Jamie Lyon hit a running Hopoate out wide for the first try of the second half and the young winger's second of the evening.

New Zealand international Kieran Foran's try seemingly drove the nail in the coffin just before the hour mark but Brisbane refused to lay down.

The Broncos were denied two tries before Copley made amends with a flying four-pointer down the left wing to cut the margin to 12 with under seven minutes to play.

There were whispers all the way until kick-off that Lockyer, who on Wednesday had already said he would be right to play should Brisbane make it to the grand final, may run out on Friday night.

He took part in his side's final training session on Thursday, raising speculation that his withdrawal was simply a psychological tactic against Manly.

Sea Eagles skipper Lyon paid tribute to his Brisbane counterpart.

"He's a champion - it would have been good to play against him tonight," he told Grandstand.

"But he's had a great career and it won't do him any harm to not play tonight, so congratulations to him."

Manly: 26 (W Hopoate 2, M Ballin, B Stewart, K Foran tries; J Lyon 3/5 conversions)

Brisbane: 14 (J Yow Yeh, P Wallace, D Copley tries; C Parker 1/3 conversions)

Killer03 said:
That Monas try, are you sure that wasn't against the doggies?

I do recall a lovely chip by Monas to win us a Friday night game in around 2005.

Could be Killer. Somehow I remember it as being at the SFS but am probably wrong.

Steve Matai strolling in 30m during a stop in play to give big Ben Cross a smack in the head to settle him down during a game against the Raiders.

Cross saw him coming and gave him a big shove in the chest just as he got there. Matai responded with a good wack! Matai got the penalty too!

Waaaay too many others to mention.........

To me, Matai is the pure essence of Manly. Tough, skilled, talented, humble.

The Battle of Brookie that sure was a highlight, I personally loved seeing Snake and the others rush in to help their brother.

* Kitey taking on Mick Crocker in 2008 (Kite's form went through the roof after that incident and he took it through to the GF)
* WCC in 2009. (the combination of Watmough and Snake was awesome)
* Killers knock back in 2007 against the Raiders, can't remember who scored..Robbo? Hicks? Everyone gushed over GI's knock back in the test in 2008, but this was just as good.

The 05 season i think it was. The comeback against the Panthers at Brookie

Beating Lol@souffs in the home final at Brookie.

Snakes try at Brookie against the Tigers.

The win against the Warriors at Perth.

Brett scoring 3 tries on his return from Gallop's suspension for catching a cab
Battle of Brookie
Long range try featuring Killer and Wolfman almost from the opening kickoff against Knights at their upgraded stadium, maybe 2011? Set up a great afternoon but not for the local fans.

mozgrame said:
Steve Matai strolling in 30m during a stop in play to give big Ben Cross a smack in the head to settle him down during a game against the Raiders.

Cross saw him coming and gave him a big shove in the chest just as he got there. Matai responded with a good wack! Matai got the penalty too!

Absolutely. Chip said the same thing the other day; never a truer word spoken! He is an absolute champion and I dread the day he hangs up his boots.

Snake said:
mozgrame said:

Absolutely. Chip said the same thing the other day; never a truer word spoken! He is an absolute champion and I dread the day he hangs up his boots.

Amen Brother!

2008 qualifying final, dragons scrum feed.
they try to kick.
beaver charge down.
no-one near him as he attempts to pick up the ball, he stumbles & ends up crawling along the ground before scoring.
while not a piece of brilliant play it was something i think i will always remember

Too many highlights to list - it was yet another decade of Manly goodness to savour after rising from the ashes of NE :heart:

The 40-0 GF epitomizes it in 80 minutes of Manly Magic :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XccUS5iUivg

On matai a pers favourite was when, at brookie in 2008, he absolutely belted cam smith.......kabang (as gus put it)

We have truly been blessed with the greatest decade in the clubs history, I was lucky enough to live through and attend most of our 70's GF's, 3 GF wins in 10 years .....and then I thought the 80's were good (except 82-83) but that got eclipsed by the 90's, and I thought that was the best ( 3 GF's in a row) , but the last decade has simply been EPIC.

So many moments , and most mentioned already , no wonder they all hate us!!

There have been so many 'favourite' memories over this golden period for the club.....

But for mine, nothing beats the Beaver scoring his 180th try in the 2008 demolition of the Scum.

Off the top of my head.....

* Beaver's 2008 GF try.
* The record 40-0 win over the Scum in the same game.
* 2008 GF again and the well deserves round of boos from every Manly fan whenever Scam Smith's face appeared on the big screens.
* The 2009 WCC win over Leeds. Damn it was good listening to Hemmings and Stephenson moan and groan and Manly ran away with it.
* The Battle of Brookvale. I wish I had seen in live and not on Nein.
* Gifty's grubber kick for Robbo in the 2011 GF. A short kick in his own quarter.....Ron Willey would have had kittens if he was coaching that day.
* Coming from 14-0 down to smash the Vermin in last years Prelim Final.
* Beaver's one last fling in the Maroon and White at this years Auckland Nines.
* Keeping the Rorters to nil, zip, zero, a big fat NOTHING in our first game against them this year.
* Dunamis Lui on Perfect Partners. Now THAT's Gold.

The whole 2008 final series.

The years when this great streak began began after the whole NE days, I always had faith in Manly/ NE but when we actually started winning again and signing players like Lyon and Kennedy. Man that stuff warmed the soul and the build up kept going all the way to 40-0 and we have maintained consistancey while all others have failed, cheated and flashed in the Rugby Leauge pan.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4