Fatty's Down Syndrome brother Geoffrey Vautin dies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
THE brother of Footy Show host Paul Vautin has died overnight.

Geoffrey Vautin was recently in the news after criticism rained down on Vautin following last week’s controversial Footy Show segment, when Vautin accused a hotel bouncer suffering benign epilepsy of being “blind” drunk.

Vautin later revealed his elder brother, Geoffrey, suffered Down Syndrome and he would never deliberately ridicule a disabled person.

It is understood Geoffrey Vautin had been ill for a short while and died last night where he was being cared for.

Vautin is expected to apologise to bouncer Greg Stacey during Thursday night’s airing of The Footy Show.

It came to light Stacey was disabled only after his father rang a Sydney radio station on Saturday to defend his son’s reputation.

When the segment ended and the show returned to vautin, the host, he said: "What about security at the Caxton - that bloke was blind. He could hardly talk."

Peter Stacey said his son was momentarily stunned by the bright light of the television camera and did not deserve such ridicule.

While Channel Nine has said it will apologise the Stacey family is considering legal action.

In all honesty how was Fatty to know the guy had epilepsy and was stunned by the light, the producers etc thought the same, clearly.

Some people when having a partial seizures can appear, drunk. Given the circumstances and the information at had, Fatty and the team made a reasonable inference that the bouncer was drunk, there was no other sign or nothing that would have indicated epilepsy was the cause, unless he was having a full seizure and perhaps if you were trained int eh signs.

sheesh!

Sorry to hear about Fatty's loss as well

Diabetics, when they have a hypo, can appear drunk and very disorderly.  I know as I've pulled my daughters ex out of many gutters. Completely changed my view on people lying in gutters.  I saw the guy on the show and thought it was very funny.  And Tooks, Fattie was a good player for us and thus should be shown some loyalty.

It is well known that the Footy Show trawl the byways for misfits that they can ridicule in their street talk segments.  Quite a few end up in their studio audience as well. 

Just another example of the peurile, blokey mysogyny that is making Channel 9 such a dinosaur. 

I haven't watched a full episode of the Footy Show for a good 3 years because it is such trash and I would never consider going back while they persist with that Robbo cretin.

Sad loss for the Vautin family, but spare me Fatty's crocodile tears on Thursday night.  He's only apologising in an attempt to weasel out of legal action.

Part of this has been hyped up by overpaid ex-taxi driver Ray Hadley who hates and is hated by the footy show gang. He is pouring petrol on this issue - Chesterton in the telly has got it right.

Canteen Worker link said:
Part of this has been hyped up by overpaid ex-taxi driver Ray Hadley who hates and is hated by the footy show gang. He is pouring petrol on this issue - Chesterton in the telly has got it right.
Yep spot on CW all that f/wit hadlee did last saturday was give it to fatty i mean even i thought that bloke last thursday night looked drunk.

Matabele link said:
Just another example of the peurile, blokey mysogyny that is making Channel 9 such a dinosaur.

:eek: Been hanging around too many misandrists  :D

Matabele link said:
He's only apologising in an attempt to weasel out of legal action.

LOL....what legal action would that be ? 

What do you expect a blokey footy show to be? Germaine Greer approved? Of course it is misogynistic.

I didn't see the clip so I can't judge on it but I do know with these commentators that it is egos at 10 steps!!!

Canteen Worker link said:
What do you expect a blokey footy show to be? Germaine Greer approved? Of course it is misogynistic.

Incredibly, you don't need to be peurile, dumb and abusive to be masculine.  I think you know that though. 

DSM5 link said:
And Tooks, Fattie was a good player for us and thus should be shown some loyalty.

Vautin worked for the Commonwealth bank when he first came to the beaches from QLD in the early eighties.  If you knew half the stories I know about him you wouldn't have any respect for him either.

As Mata says the footy show has always deliberately trawled the streets looking for less foruntate people to pick on in the name of laughs for their pathetic TV show.

They have made a living out of making fun of disadvantaged people.

tookey link said:
They have made a living out of making fun of disadvantaged people.

I suppose the same could be said about Rebecca Wilson and her constant bagging of the footy Show.

I'm sorry to hear about his brother, but it'd be almost worthwhile watching tonight to see him bumble his way through the apology. I can just picture it now, the worlds most insincere "sincere" apology, complete with head wobble and a "how good am I going". Will no doubt forget the guys name (probably cover that up by calling him Neville) and then we'll have a cut away shot to Chief giving one of his moronic giggles and Matty Johns smirking away at Fatty's incompetence. It'll be all class, nicely topped off with a pathetic offer to fly the guy down to Sydney for SOO3 and meet the Qld players, or something equally as smarmy.

About time some chickens came home to roost.

They hardly trawled the street.

How many of you saw the clip?
He looked drunk!, sure with hindsight we can see there was more to the story, but FFS I dare say most others in their situation would have made a reasonable inference that he appeared drunk!

on top of that, the shows produces make the choices of what goes to air and what should be said and done, not the presenters

THE family of bouncer Greg Stacey offered their condolences to the Vautin clan yesterday - then promised to push ahead with legal action against The Footy Show presenter Paul Vautin.

While Vautin grieved the loss of his disabled brother Geoffrey in Brisbane, a case was being built against his on-air accusations that Mr Stacey, a benign epileptic, appeared "blind" drunk while working the door of Brisbane's Caxton Hotel on State of Origin night.

Read about Vautin's original 'slur'

Greg's father Peter Stacey confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that members of the Vautin family had phoned to apologise for comments made against his son.

And, while he conceded Vautin would probably not have made the comments had he known about the illness, he added: "But it's done now."

"We got a call from Vautin's mother explaining that her son Geoffrey was critically ill. But we haven't called them back because we didn't know what to say," Mr Stacey said.

"Our hearts go out to the family, particularly his mother, but that doesn't change what's happened to us and our son.

"It's going to be a hard time for Paul. I really do sympathise for him."

Vautin has apologised to the bouncer for his comments and was expected to repeat it during Thursday's airing of The Footy Show.

But when asked if the long-time host would front the program tomorrow night, a Channel 9 spokesman said: "We are respecting the privacy of the Vautin family as they grieve the loss of a son and brother. We will be in contact with Paul through the week."

Geoffrey Vautin, who had Down syndrome, died in a Brisbane care facility at 12.30am yesterday.

The death came only two days after he was dragged into the media storm over his brother's comments.

Vautin said he would never deliberately ridicule a disabled person - revealing that his own brother had Down syndrome.

In a statement released by his manager John Gibbs late yesterday, Vautin said his brother would be "sadly missed but always remembered".

"I am too upset and am grieving with my family to make further comment," he said.

"I would appreciate that you allow my family our private time."

It has been a tough week for Vautin and The Footy Show, with 2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley alleging segments ridiculing the disabled were often a deliberate aim of the show.

Hadley said "Street Talk" staff were often sent in search of "nuffies" - a claim Nine has rejected.

"They search around for homeless people, derelicts, alcoholics, people who look different," Hadley said

It's almost laughable that they think Vautin can be sued over this. Vautin like the majority of people would of seen a bouncer of an extremely busy/roudy pub that had a little trouble speaking.....and assume that he had a few himself. An apology should suffice.

If they wanted to sue anyone, they'd be more successful going after the people who cut the segment together or who possibly gave instructions to go out and find disabled people.

Agreed. It's common knowledge that when they do these segments that they do go looking for Nuffies.

It's the same with Sam Newman down here, they intentionally go to places where they know they will find someone who isnt quite right, and interview them.

However, you cant blame Fatty for it, and attemtping to sue him will just drag the family through more pointless media attention and possibly ridicule. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2