Farah slams new NRL obstruction rules

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eelcatcher

Reserve Grader
By Steve Jancetic AAP

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah claims defenders are using the new obstruction rule as a cop-out to prevent tries, adding that NRL teams would soon be forced to change the way the game was played.

The Tigers were livid when denied what could have been a crucial try to Tim Moltzen during their 26-0 loss to Manly on Thursday night.

The score was 14-0 when Moltzen was called back, with Chris Lawrence running into opposite centre Jamie Lyon inside from where the Tigers fullback went over.

The obstruction rule has caused plenty of consternation over the opening few rounds of the season, with new referees boss Daniel Anderson having insisted on a zero tolerance policy to decoy runners coming in contact with defenders.

"Players are using it as a cop-out," Farah said when asked about the rule.

"You've got players in the defensive line just getting hit and then straight away putting their hands up, using it as a cop-out.

"They're trying to make it a black and white rule but you can't.

"I thought we were making progress at the start of the year. We just seem to have gone backwards."

Asked if he would go down if a decoy runner came at him near the tryline, Farah said: "After seeing tonight, bloody oath."

The NSW Origin rake claimed the new interpretation would change the way the game was played.

"We almost can't run second-man plays anymore down near the line - it's getting that ridiculous," he said.

"I just can't understand how and why they're ruling it this wrong.

"The one last week in the Melbourne game, the Cooper Cronk try - that was just absurd. That's a try every day of the week."

Lyon offered a sheepish smile when asked about his recollection of the incident.

Asked if he outsmarted the Tigers, Lyon said: "I don't know about that. I fell over - he ran into me."

p.s. Moderators I tried to submit this as a news article a few times but it doesn't seem to be working. Sorry about that.

Farrah always looks like he just stepped in dog sh1t,cant stand the whinger,disregard anything he has to say.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
He's just grumpy he got taken off before half time.

Don't want the whistle.....don't run into the defensive player.

As said (up there ^ ) we were denied because ferris ran into anasta.

"ran" - used in broadest possible context.

I agree with pretty much every post: including the OP containing Farah's whinge (ugh!!).

I'd HATE to see us lose a crucial game because a player not even close to where a try is scored gets "impeded" in his attempt to translocate himself 20 meters to where the ball is placed...

So Robbie, would you take a dive?
Farah - " I was taking dives long before this rule was introduced so bloody oath I'll continue".

WAMF said:
So Robbie, would you take a dive?
Farah - " I was taking dives long before this rule was introduced so bloody oath I'll continue".

Farrah the Faint is an old hand at the dive, just as Matai :dodgy:

The tactic is an issue, agreed, but as for it having an influence on the game... Farrar, you're dreaming.

Farrar didn't have an influence on the game so he says the rulings did. Sore loser much?

This obstruction things is bull. Why doesn't it apply every time a clearing kick is put in during general play? The kicker's team mates are always in front of the kicker blocking opponents getting across to him from marker etc.

Are they going to disallow a field goal because the kicker's team mates up field are blocking the opponents?

What about when a fullback catches the ball with all of his team mates in front of him? There's plenty of "obstructions" there if you want to look.

He's kidding.

Moltzen wasn't going to score. I just watched it again on FOX. Anyone would think he had a saloon passage to the line.

It's just sour grapes because we gave them so much ball in the first half and they came up with duck egg.

If he wants to find a classic example of milking for obstruction, he should go talk to his mate Braith. Not even in the same post code as DCE and the arms go up.

Oh well. I guess I'd be pissed too if I'd just signed for 4 more years with a club that is zero chance of winning a title.

Problems at tigers I reckon. They could get the spoon. Coach potter said Robbie was tired so they brought him off? Tired after 28 minutes? Manly were defending the whole time, so Robbie would have been fresh as a daisy. Coach must have missed the origin games last year when Farrah made 60 tackles over 80 mins.

Well wobbie just signed a new contract so he best start getting on with the coach some time soon

I've been trying to watch the video of the Tigers presser on the fox sports site but it keeps freezing at the point where they ask Farah about being replaced (although the audio kept going). Has anybody else had this problem?

I also got the impression that Farah doesn't rate Potter as a coach. He could barely hide his contempt for being replaced (as far as I could tell from the audio). Can you imagine Ennis huffing & puffing in the presser against Hasler if he was replaced?

manlyfan76 said:
Farrar didn't have an influence on the game so he says the rulings did. Sore loser much?

Farrar plays for Manly and is out injured, was on the winning side of the fence though

Well said Robbie.

Signed a $4.5 million contract for 4 or 5 years, whatever.

On the field for 40 minutes.

Has a go for 4 minutes.

If he is in the Origin side it will again show how far behind NSW are.

Ballin must be scratching his head seeing a hack like Farah earning that kinda money and playing Origin.

bob dylan said:
Well said Robbie.

Signed a $4.5 million contract for 4 years.

On the field for 40 minutes.

Has a go for 4 minutes.

If he is in the Origin side it will again show how far behind NSW are.

Ballin must be scratching his head seeing a hack like Farah earning that kinda money and playing Origin.

Did you watch Origin last season ? Farah was outstanding. If Ballin could add half of Farahs attacking game we as manly fans would be extremely happy and Ballin would be pushing Smith for #1

Don't worry about last year mate. Jarred Hayne was a freak n 2009.

On current form, 2013, Farah is a joke.

BTW Smith is miles ahead of any hooker before or since S Walters.

Shoe1 said:
Problems at tigers I reckon. They could get the spoon. Coach potter said Robbie was tired so they brought him off? Tired after 28 minutes? Manly were defending the whole time, so Robbie would have been fresh as a daisy. Coach must have missed the origin games last year when Farrah made 60 tackles over 80 mins.

Tigers problem is they are down on size in the forwards so what do they do. they pick a hooker type player on the bench when they have an 80 min hooker?!? They set themselves up to fail in that regard.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6