1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farah slams new NRL obstruction rules

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by eelcatcher, Mar 29, 2013.

1. eelcatcher

eelcatcher Active Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0
    By Steve Jancetic AAP

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah claims defenders are using the new obstruction rule as a cop-out to prevent tries, adding that NRL teams would soon be forced to change the way the game was played.

The Tigers were livid when denied what could have been a crucial try to Tim Moltzen during their 26-0 loss to Manly on Thursday night.

The score was 14-0 when Moltzen was called back, with Chris Lawrence running into opposite centre Jamie Lyon inside from where the Tigers fullback went over.

The obstruction rule has caused plenty of consternation over the opening few rounds of the season, with new referees boss Daniel Anderson having insisted on a zero tolerance policy to decoy runners coming in contact with defenders.

"Players are using it as a cop-out," Farah said when asked about the rule.

"You've got players in the defensive line just getting hit and then straight away putting their hands up, using it as a cop-out.

"They're trying to make it a black and white rule but you can't.

"I thought we were making progress at the start of the year. We just seem to have gone backwards."

Asked if he would go down if a decoy runner came at him near the tryline, Farah said: "After seeing tonight, bloody oath."

The NSW Origin rake claimed the new interpretation would change the way the game was played.

"We almost can't run second-man plays anymore down near the line - it's getting that ridiculous," he said.

"I just can't understand how and why they're ruling it this wrong.

"The one last week in the Melbourne game, the Cooper Cronk try - that was just absurd. That's a try every day of the week."

Lyon offered a sheepish smile when asked about his recollection of the incident.

Asked if he outsmarted the Tigers, Lyon said: "I don't know about that. I fell over - he ran into me."

p.s. Moderators I tried to submit this as a news article a few times but it doesn't seem to be working. Sorry about that.

2. Normie

Normie Well-Known Member

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +326 / 4
    The whinger didn't mention anything about Anasta's pathetic effort to deny DCE a try........

3. midsteyne

midsteyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 12
    Farrah always looks like he just stepped in dog sh1t,cant stand the whinger,disregard anything he has to say.

• Like Like x 1
  4. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,782 / 58
    He's just grumpy he got taken off before half time.

Don't want the whistle.....don't run into the defensive player.

As said (up there ^ ) we were denied because ferris ran into anasta.

"ran" - used in broadest possible context.

5. KOMORI

KOMORI Born and bred an Eagle

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    I agree with pretty much every post: including the OP containing Farah's whinge (ugh!!).

I'd HATE to see us lose a crucial game because a player not even close to where a try is scored gets "impeded" in his attempt to translocate himself 20 meters to where the ball is placed...

6. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    So Robbie, would you take a dive?
    Farah - " I was taking dives long before this rule was introduced so bloody oath I'll continue".

7. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Farrah the Faint is an old hand at the dive, just as Matai :dodgy:

8. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    The tactic is an issue, agreed, but as for it having an influence on the game... Farrar, you're dreaming.

9. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,342 / 111
    Farrar didn't have an influence on the game so he says the rulings did. Sore loser much?

10. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    This obstruction things is bull. Why doesn't it apply every time a clearing kick is put in during general play? The kicker's team mates are always in front of the kicker blocking opponents getting across to him from marker etc.

Are they going to disallow a field goal because the kicker's team mates up field are blocking the opponents?

What about when a fullback catches the ball with all of his team mates in front of him? There's plenty of "obstructions" there if you want to look.

11. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,078 / 26
    He's kidding.

Moltzen wasn't going to score. I just watched it again on FOX. Anyone would think he had a saloon passage to the line.

It's just sour grapes because we gave them so much ball in the first half and they came up with duck egg.

If he wants to find a classic example of milking for obstruction, he should go talk to his mate Braith. Not even in the same post code as DCE and the arms go up.

Oh well. I guess I'd be pissed too if I'd just signed for 4 more years with a club that is zero chance of winning a title.

12. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,632 / 74
    Problems at tigers I reckon. They could get the spoon. Coach potter said Robbie was tired so they brought him off? Tired after 28 minutes? Manly were defending the whole time, so Robbie would have been fresh as a daisy. Coach must have missed the origin games last year when Farrah made 60 tackles over 80 mins.

13. MissKate

MissKate Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 7
    Well wobbie just signed a new contract so he best start getting on with the coach some time soon

14. Daddycool

Daddycool Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +283 / 2
    I've been trying to watch the video of the Tigers presser on the fox sports site but it keeps freezing at the point where they ask Farah about being replaced (although the audio kept going). Has anybody else had this problem?

I also got the impression that Farah doesn't rate Potter as a coach. He could barely hide his contempt for being replaced (as far as I could tell from the audio). Can you imagine Ennis huffing & puffing in the presser against Hasler if he was replaced?

15. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Farrar plays for Manly and is out injured, was on the winning side of the fence though

16. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    Well said Robbie.

Signed a $4.5 million contract for 4 or 5 years, whatever.

On the field for 40 minutes.

Has a go for 4 minutes.

If he is in the Origin side it will again show how far behind NSW are.

Ballin must be scratching his head seeing a hack like Farah earning that kinda money and playing Origin.

17. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Did you watch Origin last season ? Farah was outstanding. If Ballin could add half of Farahs attacking game we as manly fans would be extremely happy and Ballin would be pushing Smith for #1

18. bob dylan

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    Don't worry about last year mate. Jarred Hayne was a freak n 2009.

On current form, 2013, Farah is a joke.

BTW Smith is miles ahead of any hooker before or since S Walters.

19. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,342 / 111
    Tigers problem is they are down on size in the forwards so what do they do. they pick a hooker type player on the bench when they have an 80 min hooker?!? They set themselves up to fail in that regard.

20. bob dylan

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    Tigers problem is paying A Blair and B Anasta to do nothing.