Fans give verdict: No, no, no, no, no!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Gus crowned king of bad commentators
By Nick Walshaw From: The Daily Telegraph September 24, 2009 12:00AM

OPINIONATED league fans have a simple message for Phil Gould - no, no, no, no, no.

While he may be the only man capable of saving NSW Origin, Channel 9 commentator Gus Gould has been given the tag of worst radio or television commentator in the NRL.

Some 25 per cent of supporters gave the gritty 1970s playmaker their vote, putting him ahead of Fox Sports Laurie Daley (14.8 per cent) and 2GB guru Ray Hadley (12.4 per cent).

Asked for his thoughts on the result last night, Gould simply laughed and said: "Does that entitle me to a Dally M trophy?" Sadly, no, but the Channel 9 suits over at Willoughby HQ may want to consider bronzing a bust of Ray "Rabbits" Warren after the veteran caller once again topped the voting among his peers.

Now revered as something of the Sean Connery of league callers, Rabs took the vote in a landslide - with Hadley and Parramatta great Peter Sterling sharing second.

One of the other big poll winners was the Sydney Football Stadium, with 16.7 per cent of fans naming it their favourite footballing venue.

The vote put the Moore Park ground ahead of Suncorp Stadium (14.9 per cent), ANZ Stadium (9 per cent) and Parramatta Stadium (8.1 per cent).

"And that's why we'll be sitting down in coming months to try and encourage clubs to move their blockbuster games to our venue," Sydney Football Stadium chief executive Jamie Barkley said.

"We want to see the match of the round on Sundays at the SFS. It not only means the club walks away with $300,000 or $400,000, but more fans also get to see games live.

"This is about growing rugby league and helping it compete against rivals like the AFL.

"When you look at some of the suburban grounds, they only have a capacity of about 18,000.

"Yet this year alone, three of the top five crowds - including that blockbuster between Parramatta and the Wests Tigers - have been here at the SFS."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/gus-crowned-king-of-bad-commentators/story-e6frexni-1225778957054

i saw some of the other poll results and it seems parra fans have voted heavily.

manly most hated
hayne the best
wolfman most overrated
parra as best stadium with 8%??

I noticed Bluetongue wasn't included in the 'favourite grounds' question.  I wonder why given that the NRL want games to be played out of that horror.   Good to see us tops the most hated team.  Excellent news.  And I'll get through this post without mentioning Orford once.

Whilst I dislike goulds commentary for mine Vossy over took him as the worst this year. They are both woeful and should be taken out back and shot if they attempt to do any commentary again.

The second game on Friday nights where you have Vossy and his team commentating are just boring, they actually make the game worse.

Rabs and Hadley, love the people or not are great game callers and Sterlo is also good to offer his opinon of plays etc and calling the technical side without going as stupid as Gould and Vossy do

How the hell is Gordon 'drongo' Tallis not amongst the worst commentators?
He can't even talk properly and yet he is a commentator.

anychance for rothfield and wilson to carry their personal agendas and bag gould.

Gus at times can be annoying
but for knowledge and passion about the game he ****s over all the ****s at news.

deadlyeagle link said:
How the hell is Gordon 'drongo' Tallis not amongst the worst commentators?
He can't even talk properly and yet he is a commentator.

I use to dislike Gordy but he grew on me toward the end.

Did he even do any commentary this year with his job at Souths?

he certainly did Dan.

And was barely literate, watching him was painful in the extreme, and listening to him calling the game was downright embarrasing at times.

Guilty as charged Dan.

i shouldn't expect a former NRL meathead and board member to be able to read and string a sentence together :)

Fro link said:
Guilty as charged Dan.

i shouldn't expect a former NRL meathead and board member to be able to read and string a sentence together :)

exactly. He has been beaten around the head his whole life, expect him to know footy and that's it. If he sounds a little like a caveman so be it as long as he knows what he is talking about

well he doesn't.

It can be a game between a Qld side and anyone else, the Qlders lose by 60 and they were "unlucky"

He is purely and simply ****.

This survey raises an interesting point. Are commentators who have never played the game at any significant level (Rabs, Hadley, Andy Raymond, Warren Smith) better than ex-players and their hyperbole about their halycon glory days ?

It would make sense that having played at a significant level, one would be entitled to more insight into the intricacies of the game, thus making their commentary more worthwhile. However I find that they (ex players) treat the viewers like idiots and overcomplicate their game analysis. Gould is the master of making a simple game/play sound like rocket science. He has a good footy brain no doubt, but I find his commentary insulting on so many levels. The other thing that annoys me with him is that he is like a dog with a bone when something he predicts occurs. He goes on and on about it ad nauseum, case in point the way Dave Taylor was utilised against the Dragons. We all heard you the first time, no need to remind us 30 times during the game, just let the game unfold and the viewer appreciate the insight. The one thing I will give Gus credit for is his stance on video referees and their inability to apply the laws of the game in the correct "spirit", rather than the black/white interpretation they always seem to go for.

By far the most annoying commentator imo is Laurie Daley. First you have too get past that woeful hairstyle. Then you have to listen to him bumble his way through sentences as he tries to sound intellectual. He doesn't even understand the correct use of tense with the words "did" and "done".

I have no problems as to whether they have played the game or not and find that argument tired and old anyway. I had to go through it with Parramatta supporters on the weekend, and still proved I knew more than them and the plays.

Its commentators like Vossy who thinks he knows every aspect of every rule and wishes to enforce that on everyone. Just call the game, I dont care about the rest.

This is what makes Rabs and Hadley good commentators, they call the action and the game and dont worry about too many of the issues of rules etc, whereas the worst like vossy and Gould spend inordinate hours going on about them.

I like the guys who go further into it. I don't particularly need the game called, I can see that myself. It's the little things that happened maybe off camera or that relate to an earlier game that I may have forgotten that are of interest.
The fact that Gus or Vossy will harp on something is good. I find what annoys me is when they don't carry on. I want them to spend half a game whinging about Cam Smith's constant forward passing or Slaters use of his feet because that's what I do. I just can't reach as many people as them.

I dont mind Tallis, could not stand him but he has grown on me.  I agree with Dan how the others harp on and on about the rules too much.  Once is ok but 20 farking times in 1 game sh!ts me.  Those are the rules so suck it up and move on.  

Duff link said:
I like the guys who go further into it. I don't particularly need the game called, I can see that myself. It's the little things that happened maybe off camera or that relate to an earlier game that I may have forgotten that are of interest.
The fact that Gus or Vossy will harp on something is good. I find what annoys me is when they don't carry on. I want them to spend half a game whinging about Cam Smith's constant forward passing or Slaters use of his feet because that's what I do. I just can't reach as many people as them.

Thank god you don't have a further reach! Boring ****

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4