Fan to stump cash to save Glenn Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
High-profile Manly supporter Paul Dracakis is the latest fan to throw his weight behind the campaign to keep Glenn Stewart at the Sea Eagles.

Mr Dracakis, owner of Dracakis jewellery stores in Brookvale and Mosman, is willing to stump up $2000 amid concerns Stewart – off contract at the end of the year – could be forced out of the Sea Eagles due to salary cap constraints.

His offer comes after a Facebook page was established – “S. O. S! Save Our Stewart’s” – with fans calling for the Sea Eagles to retain both Glenn and his brother Brett.

The issue has agitated both fans and players, with Stewart’s brother, Brett, threatening to walk from the club if Glenn isn’t re-signed.

Mr Dracakis, whose business is a corporate sponsor of the Sea Eagles, hoped his stance would convince other fans to get behind the push to keep Gifty.

“I’ll be very sorry to see this good team broken up,” the Seaforth resident said.

“If you’ve got success why break it up.”

Under current NRL salary cap rules, clubs cannot exceed a $5.5 million spend on their top 25 squad each year.

An NRL spokesman said any payment from an entity associated with the club is acceptable if it falls under the cap. Any other payments are subject to NRL approval.

Bryn Kay
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/fan-to-stump-cash-to-save-glenn-stewart/story-fngr8hax-1226873775603

WOW we have some really good and passionate supporters, if only we could find another 200 just like him.

I don't know if it's a Q of not having enough cash to save Gift......more this issue of valuation and the cap.

I could be wrong, and the public support and stories can only help our cause, in the eyes of the NRL.

Whatever hypothetical amount we supporters raised would be immaterial if the NRL stamped Gifty's worth as in the elite bracket.

Nice to see the passion though.

Dangerous territory. Look at the political donations mess. The salary cap is designed to even out the competition. This kind of precedent would allow the clubs with the richest or most supporters to rort the whole system. Sorry. Bad idea.

Today's manly Daily reports that a supporter Damien Hammond is willing to pay gifty $2,400 a game.

The club should make that a 3rd party sponsorship for him

Don't 3rd party arrangements have to have a legitimate exchange tho???

As in Gift doing work or ads etc for a said sponsor??

Would actually like that tier of players' contracts defined by someone please?

RiverEagle said:
Don't 3rd party arrangements have to have a legitimate exchange tho???

As in Gift doing work or ads etc for a said sponsor??
I could get him to wash my car?

Lol @SeaEagleRock8 and I guess he could wear the jeweller's watches or something?

Another premiership ring would be better!

If the guy is already a sponsor of the team...he cant pay 3rd party deals it has to be included in the cap.....I think

Frogz said:
If the guy is already a sponsor of the team...he cant pay 3rd party deals it has to be included in the cap.....I think
Correct, and a group of fans stumping up some cash won't wash with the NRL either.

He needs to give the money to another company ( sole trader or other who has no ties with the club) and they give it to Gifto.

He'd need to stump up about 80k, as a bank cheque.

Three other businesses would need to do the same thing.

$2000.00 !!!!!! LOL. That ought to cover Gifty for about 10 minutes of one game. Paul just got himself more than $2000.00 worth of advertising for his business though. Well played.

tookey said:
Today's manly Daily reports that a supporter Damien Hammond is willing to pay gifty $2,400 a game.

The club should make that a 3rd party sponsorship for him

Damien must be prepared to offer the same deal to Gifty, even if he's playing for the Dogs. TPA's must be individual-based, not reliant on the club they play for.

It's why any fan-based fund drive will be included in the Cap. If Glenn left, would we still pull together funds for him to play? You know the answer.

wonder if they ever enforce that.

Highly doubt that the player who leave the bongos keep getting paid 3rd party money from Brisbane sponsors whilst living in Sydney

Fluffy said:
wonder if they ever enforce that.

Highly doubt that the player who leave the bongos keep getting paid 3rd party money from Brisbane sponsors whilst living in Sydney

I reckon the player themselves would want the $$$$ to keep on coming.

It would be nice if someone from the club actually spelt out how 3rd party agreements work.
Whilst we think we know...there is a lot of unknown ....it seems

Ive read where the NRL have said they value Gifty as a SOO player and wont recognise any contract that doesnt represent that value.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7