Fair dinkum-let's cut to the chase abour our attack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
I sat in the southern stand today, was able to watch our attack from behind which showed massive problems!! Orford, what ever side of the ruck he is the ball goes!!!!!!! As i watched the game I thought just follow Orford, that's where the ball goes nearly EVERY FRIGGING TACKLE except for our one outs which is the rest of the time!!! We are kidding ourselves, the only backline moves went to putty with the decoy to brett stewart so obvious any little kid could see it, hoping for opposition errors worked well last year until we got to GF and then fell apart with no game plan and got embarrassed.

Someone else must take options off Orford!!! Today's display was that laboursome and it was really pieces of individual brilliance or horror Souths defence that won it! Hadley couldn't believe 50 wasn't scored on Souths, watching today, I don't see where we can score apart from one outs or kicks

I agree with your summation, We need other ballplaying options and the capacity to create doubt defensively. We also need to go forward and then spread it.

all very valid comments guys
and i think we will improve as the season goes on.

However as long as we hang on to football and kick well i dont think we need to be a crisp attackin side to win the comp.

Im staggered to believe we have only conceded 37 points in 4 games
deadset pre des hasler we would concede that many points in 1 game.

If des can get the same sort of improvement out of our attack we will be a hard team to beat for the comp.

On the channel 9 broadcast the commentators kept on saying that the Manly players looking as though they were just going through the motions and their minds seemed more on the Storm game this Friday.Lets wait till after that game before we start bagging out our attack.
We only played as well as we needed to,to beat Souths,but lets hope our performance steps up this Friday,because the Storm certainly will.
What will make it even harder is the fact that we will be coming off a 5 day break and they will have had a week to prepare.

I agree with Cliffy. Its all about completions and a good kicking game. Our defence will keep most teams down to 1 or 2 tries per game. If we can complete sets and every now and again get a repeat set, we will score tries.

We dont need to be brilliant in attack.

Would you rather be the Cowboys who have an awesome attack but leek 20 + points per game?

The reality is our attack does lack creativity.  And Orford does not have a kicking game to worry the good teams.  But having said that, at least we now have Lyon seemingly picked where he plays most effectively, Bani showing skills, Robbo playing soundly and I thought I saw Bell at least going forward twice on Sunday.  Our defense is sound and now we have the rest of the season to work on the attack.  I agree with Clon, A grinding win is a win, and games are really won on a good defense.

Darren

u would know this better than anyone else

Clint Halden do u think hes up to playing the 5/8 role for us?
I looked at the team list and noticed he wasnt there does anyone know if hes injuired

I wasn't that impressed with our attack and against a team on song we will struggle. Two tries came from individual brilliance (or slack bunny defense) and the other was a nice pick-up by Cuthbo on a clever kick. Why did Orford persist with grubbers to Heggarty when he kept managing to handle them?

Cliffy Gc link said:
Darren

u would know this better than anyone else

Clint Halden do u think hes up to playing the 5/8 role for us?
I looked at the team list and noticed he wasnt there does anyone know if hes injuired

Haldens a great player IMO mate. I bigger version of Travis Burns.

We have a no structure attacking system & we ask why does the game revolve around orford??? easy there's no one else if he stands up in a game like this friday i'll rate him.

Hi Cliffy, I'm sorry Ryan but I haven't really rated him for quite a while. He is now 27 years old and hardly ever played NRL, He is pretty slow and pedestrian, bit like jp cherry was, has a solid passing and kicking game, but definitely not the answer, would much rather play le strange in the halves,

to tell you the lack of talent in PL halves, last week it was nick bradley at 5/8  and he is 28 years of age and jeff robson at 1/2 and he is 26 years of age!! Cam, I don't believe anyone in PL could play that spot, except Wells, and he won't get a shot either, bit too big for 5/8 now!! Our only hope is a mid season signing from overseas

However the halves in Toyota cup are great, the kid who is surprising me is the half from Brisbane daly cherry evans!!! The 5/8 Foran is getting all the wraps but watching Daly again on the weekend, his all round game is really impressive. His positives is his toughness, he leads from the front, his slick passing but more importantly has a huge long kicking game. At penalties he was making 30metres plus and sometimes kicking with little angle!! I believe with the way he is progressing, he could have a big future, he knows where to be and who to move etc, Foran is way too young to play NRL, he is 2 years away at least!!!

Big money signing from union Kiwi Jarred Hargreaves is progressing well, has some mongrel in him but will need 2 years before making NRL squad, loads of potential though, 

I was impressed with the half, if we had a major injury to Orford I wonder if he would be thrown in?  Definately a better option than Robson.

I think Hargreaves might be a option next season actually.  Needs to keep improving though.

gday Garts, yeah, the half is a real footballer, something about him, I have watched his work around the park and he is a born leader, plays like orford and probably getting to watch matt play etc, no way in hell, robson etc could play 1st grade, hargreaves had a real contest with gun souths prop pettybourne on the weekend, plenty of needle, jarred isn't a prop, you can see he isn't liking the position, may be trying to toughen him up etc, has that toughness about him, will need a while to get used to league

IMO there wasn't much difference in this win to most of our wins last season. We played a grinding boring style and we did that through most of the games last season. I never really expect anything except for B.Stewart scoring a try at The Fortress :p . And to Keep any team try less is an achievement even how bad the attacking side was, this means the boys concentrated 100% even though you wouldn't blame them for falling asleep.

With the halves issue, on a bright note at least we KNOW where we have to fix unlike other clubs and i think if we buy a decent 5/8 to do the job we will be fine, Hay were winning games With Beaver at 5/8 so any decent experienced 5/8 would do the job fine IMO.

Halden could well be a short term answer however if he doesnt get back on the field soon kiss that thought goodbye.

When he returned to PL last year after a few games in firsts he was twice the player, his attack improved immensly as did his confidence. If he were 3 or 4 years younger i could see him giving it a go. Possibly could have filled the void.

Darren link said:
gday Garts, yeah, the half is a real footballer, something about him, I have watched his work around the park and he is a born leader, plays like orford and probably getting to watch matt play etc, no way in hell, robson etc could play 1st grade, hargreaves had a real contest with gun souths prop pettybourne on the weekend, plenty of needle, jarred isn't a prop, you can see he isn't liking the position, may be trying to toughen him up etc, has that toughness about him, will need a while to get used to league

Yeah that Souths prop was a gun, he was giving it to Hargreaves in the first few minutes, he was telling his team mates that this bloke has nothing etc etc, obviously because he came over with big wraps on him so they gave him a bit of stick.  He might have had the number 10 on his back but was not playing a traditional props game, he was running wide and gave a great offload for the winger who almost scored from it.  Think he virtually dropped it over the line.

Sunday too Friday games are the second shortest turn around in RL club games. It looked to me for all money that they were doing what they had too do too win and conserve as much energy as possible for the Storm game, who look like they've turned around their bad form.

Give cuthbo a go at 5/8... let him attack the line while having some players run off him, who knows he might create enough doubt in the opposition to make wholes. He has decent balls skills atleast better or to the same level as Lyons, what do u have to lose?

if not get the reserve grade 5/8 or the under 20's 5/8 and give them a crush course to the NRL.give him enough games and if he doesn't perform send him back to school

Zep the reserve grade 5/8 is Nick Bradly Qwaila, Under 20s 5/8 is 17 years old.

We are very skinny in the halves, Cuthbo at 5/8 isn't as silly as it sounds

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8