Expansion plan sweetener in TV talks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
EXPANSION plans that include the possibility of the competition increasing by two teams, staggered over two years, have been flagged during negotiations with television networks on the new broadcast deal.

Read the full article

The time zone difference + other favourable factors are precisely why a Perth NRL team is a guaranteed certainty to be first cab off the rank, which will then ensure the CC Bears have zero chance of entry due to all of the other bids (QLD, NZ, CC) fiercely competing for the final franchise license.

G-land Express said:
If WA get a team are they going to play at Subiaco Oval? That place is worse than Homebush to watch footy.

No they won't play at Subi.
The WA Govt kicked in $95 million to upgrade Perth Oval AKA NIB stadium.
You can see what the stadium will look like by clicking the link.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/watch/29585336/7news-nib-stadium-upgrade/13095816/

Does anyone remember the Reds? That experiment has been tried and failed.

Went to see manly v reds in perth ( forget the ground, might have been the waca) and the reds won. Strangely enough after they got into the lead late in the game the clock didn't stop ticking even though time off was called.

It was nearly as crap as being at a storm game in melb. Some serious pockets of humanity out there.

weev said:

Went to see manly v reds in perth ( forget the ground, might have been the waca) and the reds won. Strangely enough after they got into the lead late in the game the clock didn't stop ticking even though time off was called.

It was nearly as crap as being at a storm game in melb. Some serious pockets of humanity out there.

Didnt fail, the Reds and Adelaide were sacrificed when Super League and the ARL got back together. I think it is definitely worth a go.

weev said:

Weev, do you also remember that The Reds were killed off like a sacrificial lamb in the peace deal between SL and the ARL?

You are comparing something from over 10 yrs ago to today.
The games were played at the WACA which is a crap ground for anything other than cricket. I have shown you the new stadium. Sadly, it leaves Brookvale oval for dead.

In the last 10 or so years, Perth's expat population has grown exponentially due to mining and other business opportunities.
There are massive sponsorship opportunities over here that simply do NOT exist in the East where you have 8 or so teams competing for each dollar.

WAMF said:
weev said:

Weev, do you also remember that The Reds were killed off like a sacrificial lamb in the peace deal between SL and the ARL?

You are comparing something from over 10 yrs ago to today.
The games were played at the WACA which is a crap ground for anything other than cricket. I have shown you the new stadium. Sadly, it leaves Brookvale oval for dead.

In the last 10 or so years, Perth's expat population has grown exponentially due to mining and other business opportunities.
There are massive sponsorship opportunities over here that simply do NOT exist in the East where you have 8 or so teams competing for each dollar.

Ditto C.Q. Bring your family over and camp at my place when Manly play the CQ team Wamf. We'll see you when Manly play the WA team. ;)

I think they've already chosen the teams to come in.
West Coast Pirates
And a Brisbane bid
The CQ I realise will have the dollars behind but can you imagine how popular a state government would be not having the ability to pay for a natural disastor but all of a sudden having x amount of $'s for a stadium.
Brisbane has one that's ready made and barely used.

I'd like to see the quotes on the cost of cleaning up and re-building after a natural disaster, compared to a football stadium. That's tongue in cheek stuff on my part mate. I know what you mean about Brisbane, but the key word here is "expansion". With another team in Brisbane we'll have 3 teams in the south east corner. That's leaning towards "congestion".

I can't for the life of me see how a second Brisbane team will work.

The Broncos have a stranglehold and all the advantages that come with monopolising the second largest rugby league city in the world, but a second team there wont attract new fans.

Ipswich / Toowoomba would be a good start, but there are a lot of people around that Logan area in SE QLD that have taken up the Titans as their team.

Redcliffe Sunshine coast would also work, that area is thriving with young families moving north from Brisbane.

Central QLD may be a few years off yet, but could do some Rockhampton tie ins with the Sunny Coast I am sure.

Perth will be a success because (and not saying it wouldn't have been before anyway) there are a heap of people who have moved there from NSW and QLD to follow work.

The changed landscape of the workforce with the mining boom and soaring metropolitan house and rental prices means the time is ripe.

Central coast could succeed and would be my sentimental favourite but it wont succeed as the 'Bears'. I wouldn't want an new NT team with the Newtown colours called the Jets (though that would be appropriate considering the RAAF presence up here) setting up shop, I would want a new entity (and I realise that the Central Coast was a strong supplier of Norths supporters) to support - as my second team of course.

Sheikheagle said:
weev said:

Didnt fail, the Reds and Adelaide were sacrificed when Super League and the ARL got back together. I think it is definitely worth a go.

Ok gang. Maybe it's worth a shot ... maybe.

I don't think the Reds were 'sacrificed' for the reunion as much as it was good business to get rid of them.

I don't really support expansion as it might be a way of forcing out less profitable teams, or consequentially that is the effect over time. Also, it's thins out the playing stock and with SL and other codes going for slices of the NRL the quality will drop if they don't also develop future players.

SL had a vision of national teams, actually they called them franchises, which kind of sums up concerns we should have about going down that path again. Sure it was 10 years ago but a team in each city and 4 in sydney was the blueprint.

With some luck we might get the northern franchise. Perhaps we could be called the Northern Eagles. There's a thought. Can't imagine that actually ever happening though.

So, go the Reds, Pirates or whatever the marketing department comes up with. Go forth and create a brand, another team from out of nothing.

weev said:
I don't think the Reds were 'sacrificed' for the reunion as much as it was good business to get rid of them.

So how has it been good business to keep propping up Melbourne?

Top End Eagle said:
I can't for the life of me see how a second Brisbane team will work.

Simple not everyone in Brisbane goes for the Broncos.
A lot of the QRL clubs have had the dirty done to them via the Broncos. So you'll get the old supporters of say Brothers, Diehards, Wests etc.
A lot of people will adopt this new team as there second team until there original team comes to town. Know many supporters that already do this for the Titans

eagles2win said:
globaleagle said:
Would you guys like to see more teams?

Would love to see another 4 down the track.

WC Pirates
Brisbane 2
C Qld or Ippie
NZ 2

NSW has enough teams

Christmas Island.

kidding.

ok, good to hear some positive comments about wa. I must admit, not knowing what fully happened but I too thought it was a failure with all of them being on roids plus other drugs etc.

Any love for PNG out there?

globaleagle said:
eagles2win said:
globaleagle said:
Would you guys like to see more teams?

Would love to see another 4 down the track.

WC Pirates
Brisbane 2
C Qld or Ippie
NZ 2

NSW has enough teams

Christmas Island.

kidding.

ok, good to hear some positive comments about wa. I must admit, not knowing what fully happened but I too thought it was a failure with all of them being on roids plus other drugs etc.

Any love for PNG out there?

Purely for there love of the game yes. But want to see them compete for 5 years at Qld Cup to even be considered.

Would prefer if they brought both teams in starting in 2015 as if one team doesnt start until 2016 we are in trouble as we have signed all our players to contracts that end 2015 and will all be obvious targets especially a 2nd Brisbane team.

Bring in WA and PNG for the 2015 season

Reduce the number of player on the field to 12 and reduce teams from 17 to 15 with unlimited interchange. Twelve onthe park with 3 interchange.

Then in 2017 bring in Brisbane (2) and C/coast Bears. Then reduce the number of players to 14. Again 12 on the field with 2 interchange.

Then in 2020 bring in another Brisbane team (3) and another NZ team.

Two conferences of 11 teams each each week have a bye.

Some may not like it but at least it is a vision or a plan. Something the NRL up to date has been sadly lacking.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2