1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expansion Chat

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14

Thoughts on which teams should be added

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +968 / 40
    TLDR

Perth, Central Coast and a second team in Brisbane. There the only Viable options in the near future IMO.
    I read there is talk of being two teams introduced in 2015, I would like to see Perth and CC in that case, A second team in Brisbane can be introduced at any time, and there almost guaranteed to be stable financially plus they will have plenty of juniors

3. dowdz

dowdz Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +853 / 5
    1. Perth
    2. Ipswich
    3. Bears

Although i think it would be great for the Central Coast to have their own team, i think that Perth and Ipswich would be a better option for expansion. Could just be my prejudice to the bears though lol.

4. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    I don't think Ipswich is over the line. Watch for redcliffe to make a massive play they are cashed up and have a rich history. For those who have any following to afl redcliffe are probably like port adeliade was before joing the afl.

Also I don't like read **** like 9 wants this team, **** nine they pay for the rights they don't own the game.

5. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,526 / 32
    Obviously Perth is a priority for the NRL. The Western Reds never got off the ground but that was due to incredibly bad timing as much as anything else ( Super League). I think at this time there is a much greater chance of a WA franchise succeeding.

6. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    The Bears folded because they couldn't manage finances.
    The Reds were forced to fold as part of the SL/ARL peace deal settlement.

I wouldn't consider allowing the Bears to return until they acknowledge that they were fully responsible for the economic mismanagement of the past which saw the Bears unable to meet their financial obligations, which ultimately saw them kicked out of the comp.
    If they persist with blaming the Sea Eagles, keep the Bears at the bottom of the pile until they learn to accept full responsibility for the position they now find themselves in.

7. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    Considering Bears Chief Executive Greg Florimo (who is an absolute gentleman) was a player when the bears were last in top flight rugby league i'm not sure how you can blame him or his executive for the mismanagement of the club 13 years ago WAMF. I don't really like the Bears but i have to agree that a foundation club should have first crack at re entry if at all viable. I like the idea of Perth, however expanding that far is risky. It's all very well to be backed by a millionaire, but how long will that last? Will News LTD back them up like they did Melbourne. The Storm wouldn't have survived all these years without it.

8. Stiffi

Stiffi Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor 2015 Tipping Competitor

Central Coast should only have a team if someone relocates: ie: The Cashless Sharks

• Like Like x 1
  9. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,402 / 130
    No team should ever be allowed with the word "BEAR" in to name/emblem.

Other than that I could not care less.

10. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Perth should be number 1, they used to get good crowds from memory.

We certainly don't need another NSW based team.

11. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565 / 45
    The boss of the C.Q bid has stated that he has been told by the NRL the 2 teams to be introduced are Perth and Rocky. He is adamant that there will be a team here. I hope it's not the same wink and hand shake deal the Bears got.

12. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    Notsureifserious.jpg

Are the Sea Eagles not in the same boat, Stevo???[hr]
    Perhaps re-read my initial comment. I did not blame Florimo, I suggested the CC Bears acknowledge the real reason they are in the situation they find themselves in ie; without a team in 1st grade.

13. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    Exactly, how long will that last? If we were pushing for entry do you think we would get in given the current financial state we're in? Any entry team in Perth would have a hard time proving their resillience imo.

14. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Perth has to be 1st - the tv rights alone would warrent their inclusion. Not olny would you add Perth as a viable city for the existing games to be played you now have every second week another opportunity to have 2 games live starting at the same time like they use the warriors home games for, could even end up with a super saturday of Auckland then east coast then Perth all live 3pm afternoon games.

15. Hamster Huey

Hamster Huey Space Invader Premium Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 7
    The Bears propaganda machine is vocal, desperate and delusional. They have their hard-core members jump on every site and sprout the exact same garbage ad-infinitum, as if the mantra will turn their dreams into reality.

Fact is that the CC can't exist without Sydney money and patronage. With Sydney well and truly saturated with League teams, this impost is not welcomed and is a major drawback in the eyes of the NRL.

Both Manly and Newcastle have made inroads in the CC in recent times, given their young fellas a path into grade, and in the case of Manly, taking quality match-ups to Gosford.

There is little depth in the support of the Bears and it is largely the sympathetic vote from older fans, that provide an boost of interest in them being re-admitted. The vast majority of the League community, and 99% of those 20 and under, have moved on from the Bears.

They are relying on a strong emotive stance (foundation club, 'right the wrongs') in their campaign, a membership campaign which is a facade with $20 'memberships' dominating their numbers, and little local CC corporate support in terms of value.

They are the weakest link IMO and the NRL really should just stop wasting their time, and tell them now that they have no future, at least while the Sydney numbers remain as they are.

16. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    I would like to hope that the Sea Eagles are investigating all sorts of ways to become profitable which will then guarantee Manly's future.
    Breaking even would be a great start for the owners and I understand they are getting close to doing just that, even with the reduced and very limited funding from the Leagues club and the crappy home ground.

Anyway, having one team in a city of over a million, Perth should have a definitive financial advantage over the Bears in terms of sponsorship dollars, memberships, the backing of a billionaire plus the state govt.
    The time zone difference is a major selling point for any WA based team that the Bears simply can't compete with.

17. MK Eagle

MK Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +247 / 0
    Perth is good for expansion & seems the obvious no 1 option.
    In Qld there are claims for Redcliffe, Jets & Brisbane Easts.
    In NSW the Central Coast seems the best option.
    As for Norths, they went down in flames & did their best to take us with them. The memories of those Northern Eagles days were by FAR the saddest as a Seaeagles supporter.

18. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,839 / 103
    We certainly don't need another 'Sydney' club (Gosford is basically Sydney and closer to us than Penrith and Campbelltown).
    This comp needs more teams from Brisbane and Queensland. They are at least as passionate about RL as we in NSW, yet they have only three clubs and NSW has 11.
    My preference is for:
    1. Brisbane/Ipswich
    2. Sunshine Coast/Central Qld
    3. Perth
    Until the Broncos get some local competition that dilutes their advantages they will continue to be close to the top of the premiership. And I'm sick of that!

19. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,810 / 53
    I feel sorry for the Bears, but I think Flo copped too many hits on the field based on those articles.

Does he really think that a team based in Gosford will service the people of Mosman?

I can really see the F3 clogged with Mercs and Beamers and the Mosman bankers make their way up to sit alongside the Coasties and watch the Bears go another 100 years without a Premiership.

Or they could jump across the Spit Bridge in 10 mins and see the Premiers take another title...

20. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    I agree with WAMF, Norths track record in finance and morals shouldnt allow them to attach themselves to any bid. The CC would do better without there baggage

A team in Brisbane is a must, , Ipswich maybe, Redcliffe or Logan are better options in my opinion however the lack of transport to reddy is a problem. The train line has been talked about since the seventies and is hardly set in stone yet.

Logan also has a bid team headed by Tony Priddle but havnt heard much lately. They have the land for a stadium, the players and the transport infrastructure, a massive growth area

But in saying that id go to any of them as brisbane is well planned, all stadiums are rum by qld stadiums so they get the **** when and how they need it, transport is a massive plus when commuting to brisbane games, it happens quicky, cheaply and safely as far as a patron is concerned

Then Perth,

Then daylight