Expansion Chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
DEFIANT Central Coast chief executive Greg Florimo yesterday revealed why he wants the NRL to reject glamour expansion bids from Western Australia and Queensland and re-admit the Bears to top-flight football.

And Florimo has a strong message for his expansion rivals: We will fight until the death. Florimo yesterday outlined exactly why Central Coast should be included if the NRL expands its competition to 18 teams for the 2015 season.

The Daily Telegraph revealed yesterday that Perth and Ipswich were now front-runners with Central Coast slipping back to third.

Billionaire Perth business tycoon Tony Sage was in Sydney this week for top-level talks with NRL chief executive David Gallop.

Well-placed sources also revealed Ipswich in south-east Queensland is ready for admission. But Florimo stressed his Bears were ready for a return to the big league - 13 years after foundation club North Sydney were excluded from the NRL.

"There is the proud history of the Bears, who have been around for 104 years, and we have a new market here on the Central Coast," Florimo said.

"I don't know much about the Perth bid but we have had close communication with David Gallop for the past five years. We are very, very confident of what we can present when they call for bids. It's not just the Central Coast but we also engage Sydney's north shore as well.

"There is one million people from Mosman to Munmorah. We have the third largest nursery of juniors behind Newcastle and Penrith. Central Coast is rugby league heartland and we also want to re-engage a foundation club in the Bears.

"There are half a million people on the north shore without a team to follow. We have close to 8000 members and substantial corporate support. We have office space, infrastructure and a boutique stadium (Bluetongue).

"We got nearly 14,000 fans for a trial last weekend (Tigers v Parramatta) on a ground designed specifically for rugby league. David (Gallop) has been to our offices to check out our finances."

It is a rich rugby league area but the Bears have had some issues with funding for the bid.

Asked if he was upset when told Central Coast was now ranked third, Florimo said: "There is always someone you bump into saying how fantastic it would be to have a Central Coast team.

"The Bears should be there so historically we can right some wrongs."

Gallop yesterday spoke highly of the Bears' bid team.

"The fact remains that Central Coast people love their rugby league and it would be great to have a team there with the possibility of providing a link back down the north shore through North Sydney," he said.

Asked if the Central Coast were now behind Perth and Ipswich, he said: "All the bid teams have pluses and minuses. I regularly meet with Barry Glasgow (Norths chairman) and Greg Florimo and their enthusiasm to see their dream realised cannot be knocked."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/central-coast-chief-executive-greg-florimo-says-the-bears-are-ready-to-return-to-the-big-league/story-e6frexnr-1226272136959

THE gloves have come off in the battle for NRL expansion with the man behind the Central Coast bid casting doubt over the viability of a team out of Perth.

Former North Sydney great Greg Florimo, who has led the push for a team out of Gosford, claims rugby league needed to look after its own backyard before attempting to conquer new frontiers.

The Central Coast Bears were considered early favourites for a new licence when talk of expansion was first mooted a few years back, but they now appear to be losing ground to bids out of Perth and a second team in Brisbane.

The West Australian bid - which offers great potential to the code in terms of television timezones and financial growth - has found a powerful ally in mining multi-millionaire Tony Sage.

Sage along with former Balmain legend Ben Elias met with NRL boss David Gallop earlier this week to discuss their bid, but Florimo questioned the merits of heading to Perth, which has already witnessed the shortlived Western Reds venture.

"I'm yet to be convinced that a team out of Perth will be a viable option ... the game needs to consolidate the heartland, the eastern seaboard of Australia is where it's at,'' Florimo said.

"It seems to me the game needs to consolidate that heartland before it looks to expand to the outer reaches of the nation.''

Asked if he had been given any indication as to where the Bears stood in the pecking order or bid consortiums, which also include expressions of interest from Port Moresby, Central Queensland, and Wellington as well as Brisbane and Perth, Florimo said: "I don't think there's any rankings at all, I know that we've got a great case.

"Obviously I think we're No.1. We each bring different strengths to the table and it depends on how the commission is thinking.

"The Central Coast is rugby league heartland and the opportunity to provide a team that will be very well supported as well as re-engaging the north shore is pretty powerful.''

With the new ARL Commission having finally taken over control of the game, expansion has once again become a hot topic.

Florimo said no movement could be made on the expansion front until the new broadcast rights deal was in place, but warned any prospective franchise needed to know within the next "three to six months'' if they were to be able to get a team up and running in time for the 2015 season.

"We need to get the best players, most players are now tied up for 2013/14 and a lot are renegotiating '15 now or in the very near future,'' Florimo said.

"If we got the nod in the next 3-6 months we would be competitive in year one.

"If it took any longer than that then a lot fo teh best players would be taken up.''

Ipswich's NRL bid gains ground
Joel Gould | 16th February 2012

THE WESTERN Corridor NRL bid has firmed as a frontrunner to win one of a possible two new NRL franchises should the game expand in 2015.

The formation of rugby league's new independent commission has put expansion back on the table with the Perth and Ipswich bids the favourites.

Channel Nine is keen to screen at least one game out of Suncorp Stadium each weekend while Fox Sports wants a team in Perth to increase its Pay TV subscriptions.

The broadcasters will have a major say in expansion if they are to hand over the hoped for $1 billion plus that the game is seeking from the next TV rights deal.

The QT understands that the Western Corridor bid team has supporters in both the commission and Channel Nine.

That has it well in the hunt to win one of the licences along with Perth.

"That is what was going to happen ever since expansion was first mooted, because of the strength of the rugby league viewing audience in south-east Queensland and the need for Perth to be back involved in the national game," Western Corridor bid team chairman Steve Johnson said.

"Expansion and TV rights go hand-in-hand. Channel Nine have always wanted two sides to play out of Suncorp Stadium to have the weekly game in Brisbane and Fox wants to expand their pay-to-view base. Western Australia is attractive to them because it has a solid rugby league competition and background."

Due to the fact that Brisbane is a one-team NRL town, the Western Corridor bid also has a plethora of potential sponsors waiting to knock down the door to get involved.

"Our main sponsorship won't come from western corridor business. It will come from national businesses," Johnson said.

"Any competitor to someone on the Broncos jumper has had no avenue of being involved...but now they will."

That would open up the opportunity for Suncorp to be a Western Corridor jumper sponsor - which it can't do at the Broncos due to NRMA's sponsorship.
Thoughts on which teams should be added

TLDR

Perth, Central Coast and a second team in Brisbane. There the only Viable options in the near future IMO.
I read there is talk of being two teams introduced in 2015, I would like to see Perth and CC in that case, A second team in Brisbane can be introduced at any time, and there almost guaranteed to be stable financially plus they will have plenty of juniors

1. Perth
2. Ipswich
3. Bears

Although i think it would be great for the Central Coast to have their own team, i think that Perth and Ipswich would be a better option for expansion. Could just be my prejudice to the bears though lol.

I don't think Ipswich is over the line. Watch for redcliffe to make a massive play they are cashed up and have a rich history. For those who have any following to afl redcliffe are probably like port adeliade was before joing the afl.

Also I don't like read **** like 9 wants this team, **** nine they pay for the rights they don't own the game.

Obviously Perth is a priority for the NRL. The Western Reds never got off the ground but that was due to incredibly bad timing as much as anything else ( Super League). I think at this time there is a much greater chance of a WA franchise succeeding.

The Bears folded because they couldn't manage finances.
The Reds were forced to fold as part of the SL/ARL peace deal settlement.

I wouldn't consider allowing the Bears to return until they acknowledge that they were fully responsible for the economic mismanagement of the past which saw the Bears unable to meet their financial obligations, which ultimately saw them kicked out of the comp.
If they persist with blaming the Sea Eagles, keep the Bears at the bottom of the pile until they learn to accept full responsibility for the position they now find themselves in.

Considering Bears Chief Executive Greg Florimo (who is an absolute gentleman) was a player when the bears were last in top flight rugby league i'm not sure how you can blame him or his executive for the mismanagement of the club 13 years ago WAMF. I don't really like the Bears but i have to agree that a foundation club should have first crack at re entry if at all viable. I like the idea of Perth, however expanding that far is risky. It's all very well to be backed by a millionaire, but how long will that last? Will News LTD back them up like they did Melbourne. The Storm wouldn't have survived all these years without it.

No team should ever be allowed with the word "BEAR" in to name/emblem.

Other than that I could not care less.

The boss of the C.Q bid has stated that he has been told by the NRL the 2 teams to be introduced are Perth and Rocky. He is adamant that there will be a team here. I hope it's not the same wink and hand shake deal the Bears got.

Stevo said:
It's all very well to be backed by a millionaire, but how long will that last?

Notsureifserious.jpg

Are the Sea Eagles not in the same boat, Stevo???

Stevo said:
Considering Bears Chief Executive Greg Florimo (who is an absolute gentleman) was a player when the bears were last in top flight rugby league i'm not sure how you can blame him or his executive for the mismanagement of the club 13 years ago WAMF.

Perhaps re-read my initial comment. I did not blame Florimo, I suggested the CC Bears acknowledge the real reason they are in the situation they find themselves in ie; without a team in 1st grade.

Exactly, how long will that last? If we were pushing for entry do you think we would get in given the current financial state we're in? Any entry team in Perth would have a hard time proving their resillience imo.

Perth has to be 1st - the tv rights alone would warrent their inclusion. Not olny would you add Perth as a viable city for the existing games to be played you now have every second week another opportunity to have 2 games live starting at the same time like they use the warriors home games for, could even end up with a super saturday of Auckland then east coast then Perth all live 3pm afternoon games.

The Bears propaganda machine is vocal, desperate and delusional. They have their hard-core members jump on every site and sprout the exact same garbage ad-infinitum, as if the mantra will turn their dreams into reality.

Fact is that the CC can't exist without Sydney money and patronage. With Sydney well and truly saturated with League teams, this impost is not welcomed and is a major drawback in the eyes of the NRL.

Both Manly and Newcastle have made inroads in the CC in recent times, given their young fellas a path into grade, and in the case of Manly, taking quality match-ups to Gosford.

There is little depth in the support of the Bears and it is largely the sympathetic vote from older fans, that provide an boost of interest in them being re-admitted. The vast majority of the League community, and 99% of those 20 and under, have moved on from the Bears.

They are relying on a strong emotive stance (foundation club, 'right the wrongs') in their campaign, a membership campaign which is a facade with $20 'memberships' dominating their numbers, and little local CC corporate support in terms of value.

They are the weakest link IMO and the NRL really should just stop wasting their time, and tell them now that they have no future, at least while the Sydney numbers remain as they are.

I would like to hope that the Sea Eagles are investigating all sorts of ways to become profitable which will then guarantee Manly's future.
Breaking even would be a great start for the owners and I understand they are getting close to doing just that, even with the reduced and very limited funding from the Leagues club and the crappy home ground.

Anyway, having one team in a city of over a million, Perth should have a definitive financial advantage over the Bears in terms of sponsorship dollars, memberships, the backing of a billionaire plus the state govt.
The time zone difference is a major selling point for any WA based team that the Bears simply can't compete with.

Perth is good for expansion & seems the obvious no 1 option.
In Qld there are claims for Redcliffe, Jets & Brisbane Easts.
In NSW the Central Coast seems the best option.
As for Norths, they went down in flames & did their best to take us with them. The memories of those Northern Eagles days were by FAR the saddest as a Seaeagles supporter.

We certainly don't need another 'Sydney' club (Gosford is basically Sydney and closer to us than Penrith and Campbelltown).
This comp needs more teams from Brisbane and Queensland. They are at least as passionate about RL as we in NSW, yet they have only three clubs and NSW has 11.
My preference is for:
1. Brisbane/Ipswich
2. Sunshine Coast/Central Qld
3. Perth
Until the Broncos get some local competition that dilutes their advantages they will continue to be close to the top of the premiership. And I'm sick of that!

I feel sorry for the Bears, but I think Flo copped too many hits on the field based on those articles.

Does he really think that a team based in Gosford will service the people of Mosman?

I can really see the F3 clogged with Mercs and Beamers and the Mosman bankers make their way up to sit alongside the Coasties and watch the Bears go another 100 years without a Premiership.

Or they could jump across the Spit Bridge in 10 mins and see the Premiers take another title...

I agree with WAMF, Norths track record in finance and morals shouldnt allow them to attach themselves to any bid. The CC would do better without there baggage

A team in Brisbane is a must, , Ipswich maybe, Redcliffe or Logan are better options in my opinion however the lack of transport to reddy is a problem. The train line has been talked about since the seventies and is hardly set in stone yet.

Logan also has a bid team headed by Tony Priddle but havnt heard much lately. They have the land for a stadium, the players and the transport infrastructure, a massive growth area

But in saying that id go to any of them as brisbane is well planned, all stadiums are rum by qld stadiums so they get the **** when and how they need it, transport is a massive plus when commuting to brisbane games, it happens quicky, cheaply and safely as far as a patron is concerned

Then Perth,

Then daylight

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7