Ex-winger to sue Sharks for supplement side effects

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Former Cronulla player Isaac Gordon is pursuing legal action against the club, revealing he was told by the Sharks doctor he might have died as a result of the side-effects of the substance he was given at the club.
Gordon, who was at the Sharks in 2011 when sports scientist Stephen Dank ran a supplements program, is seeking compensation after suffering a mysterious blood-thinning disorder that left him with severe bruising from the ankle to the groin of one leg that was tested for cancer, and wants those responsible to be held accountable.
The 26-year-old, who also revealed that he had met ASADA officials in his Gladstone home in April, was informed by then club doctor David Givney after suffering a cork in the round 10 game against the Sydney Roosters in 2011 that his blood ''was so thin that if I had copped a knock to the head I could've died on the field''.
It came on the day trainer Mark Noakes was reinstated, with Givney and physiotherapist Konrad Schultz invited to reapply for their jobs next year - all innocent parties according to Gordon.
Advertisement
James Chrara, NSW general manager of Shine Lawyers, is investigating Gordon's claim, and believes the club has done wrong by the players by not encouraging them to seek independent legal advice from the outset.
Chrara also has concerns for the health and welfare of the former Sharks winger, who he believes was treated as a ''guinea pig''.
''When he queried what he was directed to take, he was told, 'Don't worry about, it's just for your recovery,''' Chrara said. ''The fact they said that, in particular the people responsible for providing the supplements, would mean the direction to take those substances was intentional by them, and they can be held liable for intentional trespass to person if indeed they are found to be illegal.
''He had severe bruising all over his leg, it also affected his stomach lining and the level of blood thinning he had in his system. His pathology results revealed there were significant imbalances in his blood. So he and his family are concerned about the long-term consequences. He's suffered physically and emotionally since then and still is.''
The supplements in question were taken by Gordon as lozenges, drinks and creams, and he was also given a vial with the label ''for equine use only'' and ''not for human consumption'' to be taken orally each morning and night.
Concerned by what he was given to take by a former employee of the club, Gordon brought the vial to Givney, and that was believed to be the catalyst for Dank's departure from the Sharks after his 11 weeks.
''I'm happy the Sharks have apologised to the staff that were sacked earlier in the year, especially to Doc Givney, because they were all scapegoats,'' Gordon said. ''But I'm still concerned those responsible for the implementation of the supplement program still haven't been held to account.''
Chrara has also expressed serious concerns with the advice the players received from Cronulla, of the opinion there would be clear conflict of interest if the representations made to Gordon were indicative of the advice the players were receiving from the club.
''The club has known about this for seven months, and the players should have been advised long ago to seek independent legal advice as to their rights and entitlements,'' Chrara said.
''As soon as it was apparent there were potential legal entitlements for the players to pursue against the club, the players should have been advised to seek independent legal advice. We believe there's obvious conflicts occurring among the club, coaching staff and the players and what they've been told.
''Isaac was told any attempt [to gain compensation] would be futile because if he did bring proceedings against the club, the club would file for bankruptcy. He was discouraged to do so. We're also concerned about the breaches of fiduciary duties and conflicts of interest in relation to this whole saga.''
When Gordon, who was told the bruising he suffered was something only seen on a 90-year-old woman, met ASADA officials in April, he revealed every supplement he was given at the club and who was involved.
Gordon's parents are also furious with the club's treatment of their son, and are demanding answers from the Sharks.
''Isaac's family are concerned with his welfare and the long term consequences of all the stuff that he took,'' Chrara said.
''His parents were assured by the club that as a young player coming into the city from the bush, they would take care of his interests and be appropriate guardians for him. They feel that they breached that trust and have been betrayed by the club because they failed in that obligation.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/exwinger-to-sue-sharks-for-supplement-side-effects-20130729-2qv2d.html

Sounds like the blood thinning drug Warfarin. Can't believe anyone playing a heavy body contact sport like Rugby league would be anywhere near a drug like that unless they took it without knowledge.

I feel very sorry for players caught up in this issue. I doubt any of them would knowingly do anything illegal. They would just be following instructions from officials/advisors.

Whilst its not great treatment and he has grounds to be angry , I think the court action probably has plenty to do with the fact that he is an ex footballer no longer receiving an income. Money does strange things to people.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4