Evolution: Two fullbacks!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
With the current headache of having to chose between Stewart and Hopoate at fullback later in the year, maybe it's time to make best use of what we have and give our team a revolutionary competitive edge by playing both on the field as right side and left side fullbacks.

Feel free to respond to say that I am crazy, however, please consider the following:

Defending the bomb.
Wingers continue to defend their corner as usual, but each fullback defends bomb on each centre position. Superior to today's defense because savvy halves target the cross field bomb to centre where there is no fullback.

Defending the 40/20.
The wingers stay up in the line which will improve our defence against teams that play an expansive game. The two fullbacks that we have will adequately cover opposition clearing kicks.

Defending the line.
Two fullbacks in the in goal will improve defense of short grubbers.

Attacking the line.
Each fullbacks gets to be the sweeper for their half of the field. Come to think of it, each team already has one half, one centre and one second row on each side. Why not give them a dedicated fullback on either side?

Managing interchange:
Start with 3 in the back row and Stewart on the bench.
20 min mark: one back rower comes off, Stewart comes on.
For the rest of the match, keep rotating props and back rowers with only 4 on the field at one time.

I think splitting the fullback role between hoppa and Brett could work. Just keep in mind what an asset Brett is organizing our defense from the back. I'll get killed for this but if we didn't have foz I'd say the time would be right for a Lockyer like switch to 5/8 for Brett.

Just play Hoppa on the wing and give him a roving commission in attack, will fulfill all your criteria as above then.

Maybe the interchange could be the other way around - introduce another forward @ 20 min to help tired forwards/take advantage of tiring oppositions.

I liked Hoppa in the centres, I now theresno place for him at the moment however maybe in the future distant or near).. He looked very Folau-esque with much more skill.
You look at a lot of the better players and they had to bide their time in a position which is not thier preference.

jimmythunder said:
I liked Hoppa in the centres, I now theresno place for him at the moment however maybe in the future distant or near).. He looked very Folau-esque with much more skill.
You look at a lot of the better players and they had to bide their time in a position which is not thier preference.

I to think he could be a great centre. Everyone raves about Fallover and No Inglish but these two players can't/couldn't defend if there lives depended on it where Hoppa Jnr can.

Evolution? Ca caw ca caw tooky tooky!

Hate the idea of having two fullbacks on the field, especially at the cost of a back rower. We would get steamrolled down the field constantly without fail. There is a reason why no one has done this before.

As others have said, Hoppa can do most of the above from the wing, no need to change the teams formation to do so.

Say NO to outside backs on the bench.

Fluffy - our defensive line slides most of the time and don't forget you get wingers to stay up in the line, which net-net, is one extra defender in the front line.

Wolf pack and others - no doubt, the biggest problem would be the loss of one back rower. Fatal flaw or act of genius? Don't know for sure, but the right players would be needed and I think we have them.

I think we should all stop worrying about making ridiculous positional changes or putting wingers on the bench just to get all our favourites in the 17.

Its basically a moot point as we will hardly ever have all the players available.

silvertail, the most important part of the defending is up the middle and it can't slide. Interesting idea but taking out one central defender is not going to pan out.

I don't think it is too outlandish. Positions in league are constantly evolving anyway. There have been big changes in the time I've been watching the game.

Why on earth would you question the bloke's heart? After what he has put himself through to get back that must be one of the worst calls of the year.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Time for hoppa bretts heart is no longer in it,is he actually injured???.
Scumbag!!!!!! **** off and find another club you ****tard. Hasn't the kid been thru enough without some oxygen thief like posting that '****. Go suck on an exhaust pipe u Rex hunt.

PSE - that would have to be the most pathetic post I have seen on these forums. Closely followed by the original post of this thread. 'Outlandish' is a gross understatement.

Ian Martin tragic said:
silvertail, the most important part of the defending is up the middle and it can't slide. Interesting idea but taking out one central defender is not going to pan out.

why does it have to be a forward taken out.. why cant hoppa jus be a roving winger..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4